Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your advice urgently

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 01:10
Hi Scott,
I am aiming at B-schools that are good in Business Strategy and Management and Enterprenurship.Can you suggest me schools in these streams besides Stanford?

regards
vivek
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 06:00
Expert's post
US News is a good starting point if you want to look at schools for certain specialities:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/r ... _brief.php

Also, we profile thirty of the top schools in our book.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 18 Jul 2005, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2005, 01:03
Hi Scott,
I wanted to ask that does re-applying to a B-school within one year is taken as negative by a particular university.
I applied to Columbia and Ivey for 2005 session but got rejected.Now, i am thinking to apply again, but as being rejected earlier, will it have negative effect on my this year application?

regards
vivek
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2005, 05:30
Expert's post
No, that shouldn't be a negative. Most schools encourage applicants to re-apply. The main thing is to make sure that you have something new to talk about -- a job promotion or some other significant accomplishment in the past year. Otherwise, you will just be submitting teh same app, which they discourage.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 00:55
Hi Scott,
While re-applying, the long term and short term goals remain the same, so should i submit the same essasy that i submitted last year?
In the extra essay where they ask how your life has chnaged in pat one year, does scoring a high GMAT score and improving upon my GPA be mentioned?

regards
vivek
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 05:05
Expert's post
Ideally your essays will be different, but the long-term goals that you talk about will probably be similar.

A higher GMAT/GPA can be mentioned, but these alone won't get you in.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 06:49
Hi SCott,
It has always been my aim to restart my business venture that closed down some years back and to run it succesfully has been my long term goal of my life and in my short term goals i thought of starting my business venture just after my MBA.
But now i feel that i need to work for some time for some multinationals after my MBA and then i should restart my business venture.This leads to change in my short term and long term goals.
If i reapply to some colleges and i mention my new long term and short term goals, will that be taken as negative by those universities as they might feel that i am not sure about my future plans?

regards
vivek
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 07:12
Expert's post
No, that's not bad. They won't hold it against you if you have new long-term plans. We all change our plans! But what they will really care about if what you've done in the past year to make yourself a stronger applicant.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 00:04
Hi Scott,
I wanted to ask that my long term goal has been always to succesfully run my business venture that closed down some years back.
When i was applying to B-schools last year, i mentoned in my short term goals that i want to restart my business venture just after my MBA and successfully transform my project based company to a product based company in which the Efficicency model though by me will be my product and i will succesfully implement my product in various sectors of the industries, thus making my company a well known name in the field of consultancies.
Due to rejections from various B-schools, especially Columbia, i think that Ad-coms of most B-schools think that i won't be mature enough to restart my business venture jsut after my MBA and thougt of my short term goal reflects that i am still immature for an MBA.Do you think ,is it correct?

Will it be better if in my this year goals i should mention that i plan to work for some consultancies after my MBA and then restart my own company?If i mention this goal then i feel that it is a normal goal and i won't be different from the averege league?Please advice

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 06:15
Expert's post
Honestly, write about what your short-term goals actually are, not what you think they want to hear. If you now think that you need some more experience before you start your company, then that's fine. But write what you actually believe.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 05:08
Hi Scott,
I am thinking of reapplying to Columbia Business school for their Janaury 2006 intake.I had previously applied for their September 2005 inatke but was rejected :o . There Janaury session is Accelerated MBA program and it is for Enterpreneurs,People who want to join back to their family business or previous employer.As my goal is to re start my business venture, and i wanted to do MBA in enterpreneurship.So, should i apply?Just let me know what are the pros and cons?

regards
vivek
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 05:17
Expert's post
The pro is that you can get back into teh working world right away, like you said. The con is that those programs usually don't give you a chance to do an internship. I *think* Columbia's is that way. If you want to gain that extra experience, then that's something to consider.

Again, though, the key for you is to have something new to talk about since you last applied. If you don't have any new achievements, you wil llikely get dinged again.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 21:02
Dear Scott,
I was sorry to see that you had no advice for Vivek in India. GMAX Online has been reviewed by the GMAT Club and was given a very high approval rating. Please look at our website at http://www.gmaxonline.com and try the demonstration lesson. If you would like to speak with me personally, call me at the toll-free number on the site.
We have students in India and, in fact, in many of the countries that have no live international GMAT courses. Since all of our teachers are native-born English speakers, and they all teach with the intention of being understood by both English-speakers and non-English speakers, the course is well-appreciated by the hundreds of students we have taught online.
Thank you for your attention.
Leanna
info@gmaxonline.com
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 01:26
Hi Leanna,
Thanks a lot for the advice.I will contact you in case i need some suggestions.

regards
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 07:49
Hi Scott,
I wanted your advice.As my undergraduation GPA is quite low, and i discussed this with you, i plan of taking some extra correspondence classes.

I plan to do my majors in MBA in Business Strategy and Consulting with a knowledge of Finance.Now in India, there is one university that offers six months to one year course that are mixture of Business strategy and finance?

Now my question is, should i go for this course, but my fear is that colleges where i will apply might not raise a question that i already have taken subjects in Business strategy etc., then why i need to apply for MBA?

Secondly, should i go for six months or 1 year course?

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 12:08
Expert's post
I would go for the shorter course. The main reasons to take such a class are to 1) demonstrate your interest in the subjects and 2) show that you can get good grades now that you're a little more mature. You definitely don't need to master the subjects... Just learn the basics and get good grades. Also, taking the shorter class will lessen the chance that a school will ask about why you now need an MBA. So, takke the class, but stick with the shorter one!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2005, 22:32
Hi Scott,
Thanks a lot for all the advice you have given to me.I personally believe that it will help me to improve my essays.Scott, as you have done your MBA from one of the best B-schools of the world, i wanted to ask what exactly does a ttypical candidate profile look like? if you can let me know through examples, it will really help.

regards
vivek
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 05:28
Expert's post
It sounds like I'm taking the easy way out by answering it this way, but there really is no "typical" applicant profile! In fact, I could argue that many of the "typical"-looking applicants didn't get in, because of just that reason -- they looked too typical. They weren't interesting enough. They blended in *too much* and thus didn't stand out in the adcomms' eyes.

But, here is one thing that most of my classmates did have in common: They were almost all impressive/interesting/memorable in some way. That doesn't necessarily mean that scaled Mount Everest or started a $100 million company... Some were just very smart, some were great speakers, some had very interesting career backgrounds, some had spent 10 years in the military and had fought in wars, some were great at getting along with everyone, some were natural born leaderes, etc.

We had lots of bankers and consultants, sure. And a lot of them were impressive, too. But even those people often had something a little different about them... A unique hobby, an interesting life accomplsihment, etc.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews