Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your help Hjort - Profile Review Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need your help Hjort - Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 21:56
Hi Hjort.

I had a profile review request and a lot of questions attached to it. Well, here goes...

Female,Indian, Age 25
B.Tech (Production and Industrial) from IIT
GPA: 7.72/10
GMAT: 760( Q -> 51, V -> 41)
Work Experience: 3 years
Currently working with Citigroup Global Solution Centre as an Asst. Manager
Work Area: Business Analysis, Process Re-engineering, IT Project Management(Team sizes: 4 to 10)

Career Goal Post MBA: Non Profit Management/ Public Management ( I am typically interested in working for issues like global warming, glass ceiling for women, etc)

Extracurriculars: Dance (Kathak), Dramatics, Painting, Yoga(Rank 7 at National Level competitions, currently I also teach children yoga during weekends), Conducted survey of women engineers in a top engineering firm regarding 'Glass Cieling' and presented finding at an International Women's Seminar
Apart for all this, I was quite involved in my college's tech and cultural fests and managed some events there.

Questions:
1.) What schools should I apply to given my profile? and given my post MBA interests?
2.) Will schools view my desire to shift career paths so drastically as something negative?
3.) Is there any website/forum where I can actually find details about what job descriptions in Non Profit Management. Also, it has been my dream to work at the UN. Will this MBA help in any ways towards that?
4.) If I decide later in my career to shift to a more traditional role, will my being in the non profit
field hurt my chances?
5.) I am planning to apply along side my husband who has a similar profile of sorts but completely different long term goals. How do we go about stating the fact that we want to do an MBA together? Also, will the fact that we have the same profiles lower the probability of admission?

Thanks a ton in advance

ab
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 20:42
Greetings,

1) It sounds like you have a pretty strong background as an applicant. Just based on your interests, some natural places to consider include Stanford, Yale, and UCB. But, of course, any of the top cluster schools can provide a springboard to the not for profit sector.

2) Not necessarily, but it is important that this transition come across as genuine (i.e., that the candidate is not a stealth contender for IB or MC positions).

3) For general not for profit jobs, you might find this website useful:
http://www.idealist.org/

An MBA can help because it is a signifier of general ability as well as training in management. However, MPA and MPH degrees are often viewed as viable alternatives in the Not For Profit sector.

4) I suppose it depends on your function in the Not For Profit organization. Some Nonprofit skills are directly transferable (e.g., general project management and team management) while others are less transferable.

5) I have some doubts about the wisdom of couples doing an MBA at the same time, especially at the same school but I imagine that you have already chosen to pursue your business ed. together. If nothing else, attending different schools allows you to develop networks at two schools rather than just one. I am less concerned about the effect on admission since gender is probably a sufficiently large distinguishing factor to keep one spouse from "displacing" the other.

Hjort
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2007, 20:42

Need your help Hjort - Profile Review Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap