Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your help on profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 6

Need your help on profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 09:29
I have given GMAT twice hoping to improve the overall score but I couldn't. last time Eng was the devil,now it is Math

I scored first time 660(Q49,V28)
This time 670(Q45,V37)

1) Basic demographic info: 31,male,Indian

2) Educational Background: B.Tech in Electronics and communication from one of the top 15 colleges of India,
10th standard : 86.5%
12th Standard: 78.75%
B.Tech: 70.01%

3) Work experience: I am in IT since last 9.5 years, all these years in Telecommunication(protocol development,application development etc.)

4) Extracurriculars: not have much extra curricular to boost about

5) Short/Long term goals: My short term goal is to join a good consulting firm and then after 8-10 years start my own business.

6) Schools: I shortlisted IIMB,ISB in India but the score doesn't let me feel good about it.

Can you please tell me which are the schools in US/Europe I can apply to,because I think this score is not good for IIMs and ISB in India, given the fact that I don't have very good Extracurriculars to support my score.

Will any top 20 school fit in my bill?

I want to know whether i should go for another try if I get 730 which I am sure i can get. If a score of 730 makes my chances better then I'll go for it,but I am apprehensive about the number of attempts I am taking to achieve this score,because this can go against me. Is it so??

I want to apply for the 2012-2013 session,so please tell me which schools should be considered as safeties for me and which will be a bit stretch.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Need your help on profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 10:55
Expert's post
The number of attempts you make does not reflect poorly, and yes, a 730 will help you. As an Indian with IT background, you are applying in a very deep pool, so you need to stand out in any way you can to reach top 20 schools. If you can get a 730, by all means, do it. It should help your chances tremendously given your otherwise "average" profile. Hope that does not come across as harsh. Another thing to consider might be part time programs, which are more lenient on admissions standards. Or executive programs. With 9.5 years experience, you might just find some good interest from executive programs in the top 20.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Need your help on profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 11:56
Hi bryantmichaels,
You are not at all harsh in saying that my profile is average. It is,I know.Thats why i am apprehensive about my chances.

I am sorry that i didn't provided complete information. I am not looking for 2 year MBA programs,m looking only for executive programs which lasts usually a year or so.
So do I stand a chance for those programs with this score and this profile in top 20 schools?I don't want to do a 2 year part time program,I would like to do a 1 year executive program instead.
And also one additional question,will the job prospectus be same for 2 year full program and 1 year executive programs?Do these colleges provide any help in placement for executive MBAs.

If I don't stand a chance even in executive MBA in these top 20 colleges then I think i'll go for another GMAT test and score around 730.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Need your help on profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 10:10
Expert's post
Your chances are much much better for executive programs. Since these are revenue generating programs, if you have the experience and means to pay for it, you can find a top 20 program who will give you a shot. As for job prospects, yes the career services center will be helpful, but your ability to get a job will be mostly based on your work experience, with the MBA credential providing that extra boost or access that you feeel you may currently lack. It's not quite the same as a two year program, since you'd be going for a different class of job with the exec. MBA than the freshly minted full timers.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Need your help on profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 10:18
But Bryantmichaels, I have read that all these executive programs are not Full time class room courses.These are mostly weekend based class room courses.
Is it so? Are there any colleges which provide you full year class room training? Because i want to do those.
And do you have any idea how much be the cost of doing these executive programs?

So do you suggest that I don't need to go for GMAT again?This score is good enough for these programs?
And Bryan,when you say that "career services center" will help in that,do you mean that this center is part of the college and will help in getting the job like for normal 2 yr MBAs?

I know there are lots of questions but i have only questions at this point of time :)