Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your insight

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Need your insight [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 18:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

Test Date - 10th Aug
Target score - 49-50 in quant
Earlier Score - 45 in real GMAT and 44-46 in five MGMATs , almost 80% accuracy in the OG (DS+PS)

My analysis === Weaker in Number properties, get hit hard with geometry, co-ordinate geometry, probability and combinations. Take longer with word problems when the question is tougher (but get it right mostly). I think I am bad at DS (mainly because of strategies)

Now, resources i have are
1) MGMAT guides and advanced mgmat and OG
2) GMAT club tests (have taken first five tests - get almost 27/28 right :( , felt demotivated and stopped taking )
3) Grockit
4) Knewton (do not think its much of use )
5) Kaplan Qbanks and Kaplan Premier ( should i get kaplan advanced edition)

My confusion

1) Should i start retaking GMATclub tests again ? or do you think that i should first work again on my basics and then start doing gmatclub tests ?
2) I feel pathetic with co-ordinate geometry and geometry (for prob and combi - i have bought the veritas guide, i think i will be good with it)
3) do i require to buy Jeff's Quant collections (advanced one, i think i have enough material for basics)

Can someone please help, i feel too much confused as to what to do ? I do not have much problems with the timings (may be because i have a few weak areas mentioned above, so whenever i get problem from that area, i get a sense in 45 seconds, and if i think i am unable to solve the same, i make a guess and move on)

I need special insight on one approach that i am following, is it really worth ?

Whenever i take a test, i analyse each and every question. While analyzing the questions , I keep two kind of problems aside and prepare collection of these two types

1) the questions i get wrong
2) The questions that i think has better explanations

I revise these questions from time to time, my apprehension is that am i learning with this approach ? or i am just mugging up the same problems ?. I mean do you think if i study the same problem twice/thrice, does it help ?

Thanks very much your help in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 2

Re: Need your insight [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 19:48
Expert's post
Hi Versatile,

It sounds like you're second guessing yourself, but I don't really see why. You've got a lot of very good resources, you're showing improvement, and you're doing everything right--studying right and wrong answers on your CATs, examining your own strengths and weaknesses, and so on.

To answer a few of your specific questions, work on geometry, as it's somewhat common, but actual coordinate systems are relatively rare and shouldn't be a major focus. And while GMAT Advance is a great resource, it is a complete course, with more than 20 hours of video lessons; I'm not sure how much you'd be able to take advantage of it in the time you have, given the many other resources you're working through.

Good luck with your test and let me know how else I can help!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: Need your insight [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:35
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Versatile,

It sounds like you're second guessing yourself, but I don't really see why. You've got a lot of very good resources, you're showing improvement, and you're doing everything right--studying right and wrong answers on your CATs, examining your own strengths and weaknesses, and so on.

To answer a few of your specific questions, work on geometry, as it's somewhat common, but actual coordinate systems are relatively rare and shouldn't be a major focus. And while GMAT Advance is a great resource, it is a complete course, with more than 20 hours of video lessons; I'm not sure how much you'd be able to take advantage of it in the time you have, given the many other resources you're working through.

Thanks for your reply

Two questions, with limited time (my gmat is on 10th Aug) what would you suggest

1) Work on basics again and again to improve my fundamentals
2) Work on gmatclub tests, identify what i get wrong and revise these questions again and again. (from every test i get some 15 odd questions to work on)

would you suggest kaplan advanced book instead of kaplan advanced course ?

How do i assess from time to time that whether i am on track or not ?

thanks
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 2

Re: Need your insight [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 22:50
Expert's post
versatile wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Versatile,

Thanks for your reply

Two questions, with limited time (my gmat is on 10th Aug) what would you suggest

1) Work on basics again and again to improve my fundamentals
2) Work on gmatclub tests, identify what i get wrong and revise these questions again and again. (from every test i get some 15 odd questions to work on)

would you suggest kaplan advanced book instead of kaplan advanced course ?

How do i assess from time to time that whether i am on track or not ?

thanks

The GMAT Advanced book is great! And definitely, basics is good; generally, redoing questions isn't that productive. You already have seen the answers!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Need your insight   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2012, 22:50