Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Need your kind advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AtifS wrote:
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions and insights. Yea, I have 2 years to go for it but I want to take all the necessary steps ahead of application process. Because after my undergrad and after having been through all of that I always try to plan ahead and then take necessary steps to make that plan successful so that I don't repeat same mistakes I've committed before. I am always in a learning process, learning from experience, learning from mistakes, learning from other as much as I can. I will ace GMAT for sure to augment low GPA and take courses necessary as well. I am searching for some college which (maybe) offers these courses here otherwise will take online courses as you mentioned, after taking GMAT.
Thank you,
Atif

Taking graded, accredited courses is a good way to show that you know how to excel academically, as discussed earlier. You may also want to consider MBAmath.com . It is not universally well-known, but some schools have even purchased it and obviously it has credibility with them.

Regards,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Need you kind advice [#permalink]
idcandy wrote:
Atif,

It sounds like you have a very compelling story. All of your work in your community coupled with the work you are doing for Motorola should make for some great essays and interviews. As you mention, your GPA is the only point of concern. I would certainly try to earn a high score on the GMAT to offset that (and definitely use the optional supplemental essay in the MBA application to explain why your GPA is not representative of your academic ability). It is unfortunate that you cannot take classes to augment your academic history.

It may not be a bad idea for you to consider waiting a bit longer to apply to MBA programs. According to HBS's website, they only admitted 1 student with less than 3 years work experience in 2009! (Sorry, I can't post URLs yet, but Google search "hbs class profile" without quotes and it should be the second result.) It would seem that your chances may be better with more work experience (and therefore, more distance from your GPA as well as more time to keep building up your already-impressive list of extra-curricular achievements). In the end, it will be up to you to decide when the time is right, and if you think the right time is now, then by all means, go for it! Make sure to submit the best application you can. One tip I would give is: try to put together your best application in the first or second admission rounds, as things get much more competitive after that (if you have a great application put together in the first round, that will give you the best chance, but don't push a less-than-your-best application through just to get it in early).

Btw, with your background, you may want to consider schools like Haas (UC-Berkeley) and Tepper (Carnegie Mellon). My background is in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and both Haas and Tepper appealed to me because of their respective emphases on high-tech fields.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you! for your response and kind & encouraging words. At the time of application I'll have 4 years of experience and I think it's neither too early nor too late. As after studies I have to get married and have a family, then it would be little difficult to study. And until now I had been supporting my family but now my brother got a good job as a result I can manage some time to study. Also, I am already lagging behind my undergrad fellows as I graduated later than them. So, after considering all of these I think after having 4 years of experience with the age of 27 it would be right time to go for studies.
Hope, I described clearly.

Regards,
Atif
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I would love to know what do Linda and Paul think. Also any advice from their side will be highly appreciable.
Regards,
Atif
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions and insights. Yea, I have 2 years to go for it but I want to take all the necessary steps ahead of application process. Because after my undergrad and after having been through all of that I always try to plan ahead and then take necessary steps to make that plan successful so that I don't repeat same mistakes I've committed before. I am always in a learning process, learning from experience, learning from mistakes, learning from other as much as I can. I will ace GMAT for sure to augment low GPA and take courses necessary as well. I am searching for some college which (maybe) offers these courses here otherwise will take online courses as you mentioned, after taking GMAT.
Thank you,
Atif
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
AtifS wrote:
Thank you,
Atif

Taking graded, accredited courses is a good way to show that you know how to excel academically, as discussed earlier. You may also want to consider MBAmath.com . It is not universally well-known, but some schools have even purchased it and obviously it has credibility with them.

Regards,
Linda

Thank you for suggestion. MBAmath.com is a good source of learning MBA related quantitative courses. But I have a question that is mbamath.com's course enough to augment my low GPA concerns as far as extra courses are concerned (apart from GMAT and optional essay)? What I mean is if I take mbamath.com's course then I don't need to take any other course online as you mentioned above in your first post.
Regards,
Atif
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AtifS wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
AtifS wrote:
Thank you,
Atif

Regards,
Linda

Thank you for suggestion. MBAmath.com is a good source of learning MBA related quantitative courses. But I have a question that is mbamath.com's course enough to augment my low GPA concerns as far as extra courses are concerned (apart from GMAT and optional essay)? What I mean is if I take mbamath.com's course then I don't need to take any other course online as you mentioned above in your first post.
Regards,
Atif

It's very difficult to say what is "enough." Your GMAT will also be a factor. However, I am not suggesting mbamath as a substitute for graded courses, certainly not if you plan to apply to programs that don't seem familiar with MBA Math.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you, for your quick response!
I think I'd have to ask the AdCom whether the committee is willing to accept it or not. By the way, most of the programs I intend to apply for were displayed in their list of Programs who use https://www.mbamath.com.
I did visit online courses you mentioned (UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard and others), they are pretty nice and I did watch free videos of some courses like Statistics & Probability. These are amazing but I am still exploring about the courses, for example how much they'll cost & what is the procedure to enroll.
I have to say, you have been my savior. Thanks a lot for your precious time & advice.

Regards,
Atif
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AtifS wrote:
Thank you, for your quick response!
I think I'd have to ask the AdCom whether the committee is willing to accept it or not. By the way, most of the programs I intend to apply for were displayed in their list of Programs who use https://www.mbamath.com.
I did visit online courses you mentioned (UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard and others), they are pretty nice and I did watch free videos of some courses like Statistics & Probability. These are amazing but I am still exploring about the courses, for example how much they'll cost & what is the procedure to enroll.
I have to say, you have been my savior. Thanks a lot for your precious time & advice.

Regards,
Atif

You're most welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
You have a really cool profile. But add some editing. Break into paragraphs, one thought one paragraph. Add more headers so that everything on the heap doesn't look.

After reading your presentation, I was really interested in the generator system. Have you been developing this for a long time, do you have any samples that you can imagine?

It seems to me with your invention and electric generators like these you can contain more than one house. This will reduce taxes and become more profitable and cheaper.
GMAT Club Bot