Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
With Johnny on this - if you sit around at home till school starts, bad. If you do some travel and charity stuff, go right ahead. It is a tricky window that you have at the start of going back to study - I don't think anyone wopuld begrudge you resigning, so long as you did something. You can sell it as a thing you wouldn't ever get the chance to do after your MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
general discontentment. Would like to travel for a bit as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess the question becomes, what's an acceptable reason?
honestly, i would like to travel and perhaps prepare a bit for school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
6 months is a LOOONG time, even with extensive travel.

If it were me, I would try to stick it out 3 more months, but it still depends on your individual situation.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
So if you leave the beginning of April, that's five months of no work. Could you stick it out until at least the end of May?

If it's really that intolerable, maybe you should line up some sort of charity work or something that will occupy you for two or three months so it looks like you're not just on a long vacation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
probably a bit naive to ask...
but what's wrong with long vacations?
I have plenty of those scattered accross my CV and i have never had any problem finding a good job when I needed - but I never looked for a job in the US though... so maybe it is a US thing?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm pretty sure it is a US thing. Europeans seem to be more interested in vacationing and travelling than Americans.

I'm not sure why that is, really seems like Americans in general are happier with a set routine where they work hard and watch TV in the evenings. Obviously this is a sweeping generalization, but a lot of my coworkers think it's weird when someone at work takes a lot of time off to go on a long or exotic vacation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Part of me just feels like im wasting time at work when I could be engaged in so many more personal productive activities.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sujith wrote:
Part of me just feels like im wasting time at work when I could be engaged in so many more personal productive activities.

As long as it is productive, gaining insight into other cultures, prepping for bschool etc. I don't see a great big deal skipping out a few months. If you plan on sitting on the beach for 4 months, that might be a problem.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also, isn't it pretty much assumed I was going to leave my job anyway? Whats another few months?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sujith wrote:
Also, isn't it pretty much assumed I was going to leave my job anyway? Whats another few months?

I agree that it's not that big of a deal. I wish I was in your situation.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well if I was hiring someone and they told me that they left their job five months before starting business school, I would certainly think to myself, "Is this person going to be a malcontent? Will they get bored or disgruntled if I hire them? Are they lazy? How could they afford to take that much time off, are they independently wealthy? If so, then does that mean they don't really need this job and they'll quit as soon as they get tired of it?"

I completely agree with you that if I didn't have to go to work every day I could be doing much more interesting, life-enrichening things with my life. I think 99% of people would agree with that.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Well if I was hiring someone and they told me that they left their job five months before starting business school, I would certainly think to myself, "Is this person going to be a malcontent? Will they get bored or disgruntled if I hire them? Are they lazy? How could they afford to take that much time off, are they independently wealthy? If so, then does that mean they don't really need this job and they'll quit as soon as they get tired of it?"

I completely agree with you that if I didn't have to go to work every day I could be doing much more interesting, life-enrichening things with my life. I think 99% of people would agree with that.

When I consider hiring someone with a long-ish gap, I have the same questions as Johnny. I think that if the gap were between two jobs, and not between job and b-school, it would be more of a problem for me. I think it's probably clear to most people that we're all about to experience a major change in our lives -- taking some time off before this is ok.

5 months is a long time, but doing something "productive" is helpful. Also, I think the most important piece is the context: have you been a job-hopper? I have been at my place for almost 5 years. If I had a nice long break in between, no one would wonder about my commitment to my work.

However, if you haven't managed to hold any job for more than a couple years, I would be more likely to hold this break against you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys for the imput. aaudetat, Ive been at my current job for about 5.5 years, so hopefully the perception of any future employers would not be a lack of committment or laziness.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is a non-issue for you. You worked for you last company for more than 5 years. You are taking some time off before school to travel, recharge etc. No recruiter is going to make a big deal about it or even give it another thought. It is quite common to take 3-4 months before grad school.

sujith wrote:
Thanks guys for the imput. aaudetat, Ive been at my current job for about 5.5 years, so hopefully the perception of any future employers would not be a lack of committment or laziness.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
I think that if the gap were between two jobs, and not between job and b-school, it would be more of a problem for me.

Bingo! I think you hit the nail on the head!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I thought a couple months would be reasonable, but five seems excessive.

Also, I'm jealous, wish I could afford to take a lot of time off, think a month will probably be as much as I can swing.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]