Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

If you were me, what you will choose?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:57
Hi everyone,

This is my background: I'm an Asian female, 7 years experience in high tech marketing & business strategy and 1 year experience in housewife, since I moved to the States with my husband.

I got admitted to one of top 10 MBA schools and one top MS program in marketing this year. My husband is very supportive to whatever decision I will make but I'm having a hard time to decide.

These are the pros & cons for each option I'm thinking of:
a. the top MBA program
Pros: In terms of career advances and opportunities, there is no doubt this is the best choice
Cons: The biggest concern is that it will take two years. The life style is challenging(according to what I know).
It might conflict with the plan to have a baby in the near future. (Do you know any mom survives in MBA program? Please let me know!)

b. the top MS program
Pros: It will enable me to find a marketing analyst job in the states(hopefully). It's only 12 months. 70% of MBA tuition cost.
Cons: Narrow choices only in marketing field thus fewer opportunities compared to MBA.
No career advances. Not an exciting job for me.

c. Housewife: I know some successful MBA women dropped out the professional world to be a full-time mom at a certain stage of their lives. But I was so surprised to see that rate can be around 30% high according to a research I recently read about. I'm asking myself s if it's so hard to maintain a life-work balance lifestyle post-MBA,should I save my money and time and just stay at home now?
Pros: Good for family.
Cons: boring, boring, boring. You know the "desperate" housewife.

I really need your honest thoughts. Thanks so much!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 02:37
I will definitely go for the top 10 MBA Program, because such an education will be very beneficial to you in the future. Many people would kill for the opportunity to attend top institutions to study for their MBA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-02-2012
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 16:30
Point C:

I guess you don't have kids. And if that assumption is true, the life is NEVER EVER boring. Kids will keep you busy till they are 18.

Source: Experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:06
you only have one shot at the mba, so i say go for it.
Re: Your opinion plz:Top 10 MBA, MS in marketing or housewife?   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 08:06