Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-19-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 09:01
A brief about my profile..

SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE

47 months of experience in Software Testing & Quality Assurance
Infosys- 3 years
Dupont - 11 months

Job Location - India
International Experience - Nil

QUALIFICATION
Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science Aggregate- 69%
Intermediate School Aggregate- 77.6%
High School Certificate Aggregate- 74.8%

ACHIEVEMENTS/ EXTRA-CURRICULARS
Professional
1. Awarded by my Business unit in Infosys for extra-ordinary performance.
2. Client appreciations for various application releases handled.
3. Have mentored a team of 4 on Software Testing (including seniors)
4. Have taken session on Specialized Testing Procedure (batch size 25 people) for across Projects candidates..

Personal
• I have been an active blood donor for about 6 years.
• Won 1st prize in Street Play Competition during Engineering at College and at University Fest
• Won 1st prize in One-Act Play at an inter-school competition
• Participated in Athletic events and played Javelin Throw, Discuss Throw and 1200 meters race competition at school.

I am averaging around 720 in my mocks..i have booked a slot for 19 aug too.. but one thing that i am majorly concerned about is my score in Engg... with 69% it maps to 1.9 GPA from what i have come across at most US colleges's website...

I have know idea whether i wud have any chance to get admission and scholarship at any good US university :( what shud i do? any suggestions ?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 6

Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
sulabhk87 wrote:
A brief about my profile..

SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE

47 months of experience in Software Testing & Quality Assurance
Infosys- 3 years
Dupont - 11 months

Job Location - India
International Experience - Nil

QUALIFICATION
Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science Aggregate- 69%
Intermediate School Aggregate- 77.6%
High School Certificate Aggregate- 74.8%

ACHIEVEMENTS/ EXTRA-CURRICULARS
Professional
1. Awarded by my Business unit in Infosys for extra-ordinary performance.
2. Client appreciations for various application releases handled.
3. Have mentored a team of 4 on Software Testing (including seniors)
4. Have taken session on Specialized Testing Procedure (batch size 25 people) for across Projects candidates..

Personal
• I have been an active blood donor for about 6 years.
• Won 1st prize in Street Play Competition during Engineering at College and at University Fest
• Won 1st prize in One-Act Play at an inter-school competition
• Participated in Athletic events and played Javelin Throw, Discuss Throw and 1200 meters race competition at school.

I am averaging around 720 in my mocks..i have booked a slot for 19 aug too.. but one thing that i am majorly concerned about is my score in Engg... with 69% it maps to 1.9 GPA from what i have come across at most US colleges's website...

I have know idea whether i wud have any chance to get admission and scholarship at any good US university :( what shud i do? any suggestions ?

Hi Sulabh,

You have a decent profile with consistently average academics and extracurricular activities.

69% is not at all a bad overall score in engineering. I am not sure how it translates to a GPA of 1.9 considering your percentage, your GPA equivalent should be 7 on a scale of 10 and around 3.5 on a scale of 5 likewise. This is not bad for most of the B Schools. You are in the right stage of your career to be thinking about an MBA as 4-5 years of work experience is what most of the Business School look for.

The immediate step for you is to focus more on your GMAT score and then worry about scholarships and Universities to apply to. The overall criterion for scholarship in most B Schools depends up on lot of factors like your GMAT Score, application essays, academic and professional recommendations.

You may also seek assistance from professional consultants for guidance on preparing letters of recommendations, get your essays/scholarship essays evaluated before sending it out along with your application and zero in targeted B Schools based on your score and career aspirations.

Please visithttp://www.general-ed.com/Online-GMAT-Preparation to see more about online GMAT Classes andhttp://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling to see how General Ed can help you with MBA Counseling and Business School Selection Process.

Also if you happen to be based in Mumbai/Delhi/Bangalore you can attend a MBA workshop by ISB Admissions team along with alumnus of various global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this links http://www.general-ed.com/workshops-and-seminars

Also visit http://www.general-ed.com/b-school-selection-process , this can help you to select the business school as per your requirement and profile and visithttp://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool here you can find your chances of getting admit in a business school chosen by you.

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/
Intern
Intern

Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 07:51
Hi Neha,

Thanks a lot for replying to my post. I once thought it will remain dangled over here.
Well I referred to a table on GMAT official website, which talks about the GPA mappings to various grading systems. I also googled a lot on the same and found similar data.. :-( can you share any universal baseline formula for the same?

Regards,
Sulabh
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 6

Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 04:19
sulabhk87 wrote:
Hi Neha,

Thanks a lot for replying to my post. I once thought it will remain dangled over here.
Well I referred to a table on GMAT official website, which talks about the GPA mappings to various grading systems. I also googled a lot on the same and found similar data.. :-( can you share any universal baseline formula for the same?

Regards,
Sulabh

Hi Sulabh,

It has been a question since long - How to convert absolute percentage to GPA/CGPA? If you are looking for exact conversion, the short answer is - it can not be converted.

Think of a scenario of a class. A particular student getting particular marks in one subject. Relative to his performance with respect to other students, professor grades him a 3.5 or 4.0 out of 5. The professor does similar grading (according to absolute marks obtained) for all the students. Now expand this to the whole batch and various subjects over the course (e.g. 4 years of engineering) - many courses and many professors and then their evaluation or grading criteria (which could be same or different). As you see by the logic there can be no universal formula.

Hence where we see so much of variance, and absolute aggregation or average and that too an exact one is impossible. To convert % to CGPA, one would need all the subjects' marks of all the students and then probably it can be done.

However, as indicated in my previous response, a ballpark value can be given which would be around 7 on scale of 10 or around 3.3-3.5 on scale of 5 for you. This is purely based on heuristics but empirically seen to have worked well in past.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 04:59
Ohk... :) wow... this is a booster for me.. :D thanks a lot neha...thank u very much :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 02:37
An update - scored 670 QA 49 VA 33.. any suggestions? keeping in mind chances of scholarship
Re: Need your valuable feedback/ suggestions   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2012, 02:37