Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

negative admission consultants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Worst admission consultant you use

• 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 50% [3]
  • 16% [1]
  • 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 33% [2]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

negative admission consultants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:28
Negative admission consulting experiences

I am looking for admission consultants for my mba app , and I find the "best admission consultant" discussion and the admission 411 helpful.

However, the feedback which I see here are so surprisingly positive. like almost 100% positive, and all verified. I am really doubtful -- even if you buy goods on amazon, you dont see reviews like this.

Can anyone share negative experiences on using admission consultants? I think it will be useful for all people in the club. Very few will make up lies about negative experiences, but they may make up positive experiences as ads. I feel there is a huge selection bias in the reviews for these admission consultants. I dont this what we see now represent the entire mba applicant pool who is using the admission service. The users who have used the service and left unhappy are not represented here.

Also, I am inclined to use Ivy Admission Consulting after seeing their impressive success rates. But I am doubtful because I dont see any field report although they claim you will get into one of your top four mbas if you sign with them with a probability of 93%. Can anyone who has used it verify?

Some of the companies I have thought

Reviews by Company

Accepted

Amerasia

MBA Exchange

mbaMission

MBA Prep School

Essay edit
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: negative admission consultants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:50
I used mbamission last year's application cycle. Although I do not fully blame the consultant for the poor result, one aspect I felt missing was the insider tip into the essay (what bschool adcom's are really looking for). The consultant focused too heavily on creating a polished essay instead of hearing my experiences and picking out what stories would be better suited.

This time around, I was lucky to work in an office full of mba grads. The general consensus was "this is very well written but schools wouldn't care..."

In retrospect, I should have reached out to my network at first, gain feedback on topics, then perhaps hire a writer to help me nail the structure of the essay. Overall, it would be much cheaper and probably more successful.

PM for more details
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: negative admission consultants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 13:12
thanks! thats very useful.

when you say an office full of mba grads, are you saying that you already got an offer?

prorsum wrote:
I used mbamission last year's application cycle. Although I do not fully blame the consultant for the poor result, one aspect I felt missing was the insider tip into the essay (what bschool adcom's are really looking for). The consultant focused too heavily on creating a polished essay instead of hearing my experiences and picking out what stories would be better suited.

This time around, I was lucky to work in an office full of mba grads. The general consensus was "this is very well written but schools wouldn't care..."

In retrospect, I should have reached out to my network at first, gain feedback on topics, then perhaps hire a writer to help me nail the structure of the essay. Overall, it would be much cheaper and probably more successful.

PM for more details
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: negative admission consultants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 14:30
I'll be honest, I wasn't particularly pleased with my experience with MBAapply (Alex). I know you don't have him up there but I thought I'd mention it anyway. He is a cool dude and had some good advices along the way but I just didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

My main gripe is that he wasn't proactive. He essentially made himself a resource, but I didn't feel that he was actively engaged in helping me figure out how to work through the process.

I guess I sort of expected someone to jump in and guide me through, and help me stay organized. It wasn't quite like that. After I paid him I expected him to lay out a plan or a timeline, or at least suggest how we begin, but I didn't hear anything from him until I reached out to ask how we should get started. At that point he suggested we begin with my resume, and he sent over some templates and tips. Once the resume was finished, I again had to ask what next, and we moved onto the essays. My gripe here is that he didn't really help me form my story, he just acted more as an editor, correcting grammar, rewording a few things and the likes. Later, the topic of LOR's only came up when I specifically asked for suggestions on them. Anyway, it went on like that.

He helped me with some apps for rd 1, and since submitting I haven't heard anything from him. I didn't even bother to tell him that I was dinged by all but my safety school (I was a shoe in anyway), and he never followed up to ask.

There are positives too, he was a good editor, he helped refine my essays and they turned out cleaner than they likely would have otherwise. He was also quick to respond to my e-mails - generally a day or two max. The tips, templates, and suggestions that he would send me we're usually interesting, funny, and had good info. Anyone who has read his stuff here knows he is a good writer and gives good advice.

My point is that for the thousands I paid, I pictured working with somebody who was personally involved and actively interested in getting me into b-school. What I got was somebody who acted as a sounding board, and an editor. Who knows, maybe it's my own fault for assuming that's how it would be.
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: negative admission consultants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 23:06
TVG, thanks for starting the topic. I feel that this is going to be an informative thread. Looking forward to the stories.
Re: negative admission consultants   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 23:06