Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Negotiating a scholarship

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 08:39
Last week I was very pleased to get an offer from school A - it's my top choice school - I told them I was very pleased to accept and looking forward to starting etc however I haven't sent back any of the paperwork yet or the deposit - the deadline for all that is late June. I was told that school A would be reviewing scholarships this week / early June

Today I also got an offer from school B which I'm very pleased with although for various reasons school B suits me better, even though it's generally regarded as being equal calibre to my top choice. I know that school B will make scholarship decisions by the end of this month

To be honest, I would go to school A whatever as the programme suits my long term goals better, however I'm wondering if it's worth mentioning to school A that I have the offer from school B and am waiting to hear the outcome on scholarships before making a decision? Is this likely to increase the chances of school A offering me a scholarship?

Another option would be to just mention to school A that I have the offer from school B as part of a general email confirming the status of my payment and paperwork etc but not directly mention scholarships. This would be a more subtle approach and would boost my profile as they'd see I'd got into another top school which could help when they come to review scholarship candidates, however may not be as strong as a negotiation tactic as doesn't address the issue directly

I don't want to negotiate too agressively and sour the relationship and maybe a subtle approach would work better, however a potential £20k saving is worth a lot to me and figure it's worth a shot if done in the right way? These are business schools after all so I guess they should respect a bit of negotiation?!

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Last edited by Joanne27 on 25 May 2011, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 10:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
You'll be fine to negotiate; don't be afraid that it'll sour your relationship with the school. I do not think offers can be retracted simply because you're "negotiating" or "asking" for a better financial situation.

However, keep in mind that most schools will not change their scholarship status simply because you got scholarship from another school. The top schools, especially, won't change much. One way of understanding the scholarship situation is that each school acts on different basis for scholarship awards and that the schools must have seen something in you that's unique or "better" than other admitted students to offer you scholarship. This "uniqueness" from one school doesn't translate to another school in a similar fashion. For example, school A may be lacking your specific type of work experience, so therefore, in order to attract you to attending school A, a scholarship was provided. Let's say that school B has enough of your type and that school B isn't worry about you not attending because of the fact that there's enough of your type, just by telling school B that you've received scholarship from school A won't change B's basis for not offering you a scholarship. This reason carries throughout the top b-schools and while I'm always up for more money, just know that the chances are slim to get money from a no-money status.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 12:30
Thanks Bakfed - that's helpful!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 12:33
you need to put pressure on the school too, ask for an extension, its a must.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 239
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 12:20
Go to the Ask Paul Lanzilotti thread, he wrote a memo how to ask for scholarship with dos and don'ts. Asking does not hurt your chances, worst case is a no. You won't hurt adcom's feelings. Good luck
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Admissions Consultant
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 180
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Negotiating a scholarship [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 03:46
Hello,

We would suggest you to definitely mention to school A that you are getting a scholarship from school B. You can ask them if there are any chances of you getting scholarship. However please ensure that tone of you conversation remains polite and not aggressive.

Joanne27 wrote:
Last week I was very pleased to get an offer from school A - it's my top choice school - I told them I was very pleased to accept and looking forward to starting etc however I haven't sent back any of the paperwork yet or the deposit - the deadline for all that is late June. I was told that school A would be reviewing scholarships this week / early June

Today I also got an offer from school B which I'm very pleased with although for various reasons school B suits me better, even though it's generally regarded as being equal calibre to my top choice. I know that school B will make scholarship decisions by the end of this month

To be honest, I would go to school A whatever as the programme suits my long term goals better, however I'm wondering if it's worth mentioning to school A that I have the offer from school B and am waiting to hear the outcome on scholarships before making a decision? Is this likely to increase the chances of school A offering me a scholarship?

Another option would be to just mention to school A that I have the offer from school B as part of a general email confirming the status of my payment and paperwork etc but not directly mention scholarships. This would be a more subtle approach and would boost my profile as they'd see I'd got into another top school which could help when they come to review scholarship candidates, however may not be as strong as a negotiation tactic as doesn't address the issue directly

I don't want to negotiate too agressively and sour the relationship and maybe a subtle approach would work better, however a potential £20k saving is worth a lot to me and figure it's worth a shot if done in the right way? These are business schools after all so I guess they should respect a bit of negotiation?!

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

_________________

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Negotiating a scholarship   [#permalink] 29 May 2011, 03:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
negotiate scholarship tony1899 7 23 Jan 2013, 08:09
Negotiating Scholarships agold 6 03 Jun 2008, 17:52
1 Negotiating a scholarship? girl10021 15 25 Jan 2008, 10:28
Negotiating a scholarship kwest80 2 24 Feb 2006, 08:14
Negotiating a scholarship kwest80 1 23 Feb 2006, 18:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Negotiating a scholarship

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.