Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Negotiating Scholarships

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 17:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Similar to the thread posted earlier regarding negotiating a deferred admit - I was wondering if anyone here has had experience or heard stories about people negotiating scholarships?

For example, let's say you get into Duke and Darden and Darden offers you a $20K scholarship. Can you take it over to Duke and try to have them match it? How successful is this generally?

Also, how about schools in different tiers? For example, let's say you get into UCLA but you also get into Wharton. Can you ask UCLA to provide scholarship money to help you make your decision?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 18:01
It happens on occasion. Generally it works best if you have an admit to a higher tier school. Getting into GSB and Kellogg probably wont help you swing money from one or the other. However, an admit to one of those and Ross might get you some cash from Ross. Generally I think schools tend to know who will probably get into top schools and give money out to win those folks over.

Honestly at this point I wouldnt worry about thinking about this. Its a long path to get the multiple admits for this.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 18:24
Besides what RR said, I think it would be easier to increase your scholarship by citing a higher scholarship at another school than making a school that did not initially give you $$ give some. If the purse is already open, so to speak, it will be easier for them to fork out more $$.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 18:39
This is all true, though some programs have a no-negotiation policy - I know HBS and Wharton fall into that category.

One of my colleagues turned down HBS for a full ride at another M7 (not Stanford), since HBS wouldn't give her a penny.

I also asked Wharton directly, and they say they don't negotiate...A friend with close to a full ride at Chicago GSB couldn't get them to even give him 5K...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 18:45
Kellogg seemed to give out tons of smaller scholarships this year. A lot of us got 5-15k which while not huge definitely is appreciated when faced with 46k for tuition.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 14:39
Sometimes negotiating chnages the picture.

In my case, I was negotiating for a decision deadline extension. Instead I was offered a scholarship but with the same decision deadline!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Negotiating Scholarships [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 06:51
Check out one of the threads in the Knowledge Vault. Lots of discussion about this.

I tried negotiating, but since the award amount was somewhat equal and the school strengths were somewhat near (I was hoping the UE strength would help, but it didn't), I failed. It's always worth a try I'd say, except for Harvard and Stanford where they only give out need-based scholarships.

But like RR said, get multiple offers first. I wasn't even thinking about getting any scholarships until I got into my first school.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Negotiating Scholarships   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2008, 06:51