Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 490 Q36 V21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 490 Q36 V21
Send PM
Re: Nerves on test day -> failed miserably.. [#permalink]
Thanks for the quick reply both of you!

To answer your questions / comments:
- SavageBrother: Good to have another EUR person here :) the extra knowledge is a good tip indeed, as well as not panicking ;) I only study 2 days a week because I noticed when studying more days a week I was less effective. I really need my rest days in between, so I do the same amount of work in 2 days than I would do in 3. It's weird, I know, but I have a year to do the GMAT so no worries there.
- Rich: Thanks for the reply. Please look at the previous comment to see why I study 2 days a week. Your answers are below:
1) Did you take your CATs at home? - Yes, Test center is 40 min drive.
2) Did you use a desktop computer or a laptop computer? - Laptop, only have a laptop.
3) Did you take your CATs at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? - Yes.
4) Was there ANYTHING that you did during your CATs that you weren't allowed to do (or didn't do) on Test Day? Yes! So I think you might be on the right track here. Drinking water / tea for example, so that could be one of the reasons.
5) Was there ANYTHING about Test Day itself that was inconvenient, unexpected, etc? - Yes, woke up with quite a headache...

Overall, I think you guys are right with practicing the topics more, finding new study materials and mimicking test experiences more at home. I will keep you updated!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MerelM,

With this next set of CATs that you'll take, you really MUST be more specific with how you take them and make sure that they 'match up' with the full Test Day event in every way that is reasonably possible.

Also, while I understand your argument about your study routine, the way that you chose to study that first time ended in a 490. I'm not convinced that continuing to study in that fashion will lead to a much higher score result. As such, beyond investing in some new GMAT materials, you might also have to put more time into the process than you current are.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi MereIM,

I will add one more point. During practice, stick only to the OFFICIAL questions for verbal.
I see that you have listed the mock scores of Manhattan CATs but not that of GMATPreps.
So I think you have done the same mistake as I did when I took the first attempt --> Preparing for Manhattan test instead of GMAT itself.
Like you, I consistently scored in the 650-690 range in the Manhattan mocks only to falter miserably in GMAT with a 590.
I have always read that Manhattan mocks are difficult compared to Gmatprep and thought if I could score between 650 and 690 here, I can easily score that in GMAT.
But I was wrong! The Official questions are unique. They are beautifully crafted and you have to train accordingly to familiarize yourself with the patterns.
And that means a lot of practice. Once you start doing it, you can very well see the difference it makes in your mock scores.

-- OG13, Verbal Review, GMAC Question Pack 1, Official GmatPrep Collection(Souvik) - Easily you have about a 1000 Official questions in them. Practice them religiously by analyzing the mistakes ( why the correct answer is "correct" and why the wrong answer is "incorrect" method)
The same goes for Quant as well. (OG13, Quant Review,QP1,Gmatprep collection). Of course, do the Gmatprep collection after exhausting the GMATprep 1 & 2 tests.

Once done, I bet you can score well above your target score.

Happy Studying! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Nerves on test day -> failed miserably.. [#permalink]
I thought you wanted to join this year :). From what I've read on GMATclub, spreading your study'moments' over long periods of time isn't the most ideal. Rather focus on a period of 2 or 3 months where you fully dedicate yourself to it. But ofcourse, that is up to you.
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
MerelM wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply both of you!

To answer your questions / comments:
- SavageBrother: Good to have another EUR person here :) the extra knowledge is a good tip indeed, as well as not panicking ;) I only study 2 days a week because I noticed when studying more days a week I was less effective. I really need my rest days in between, so I do the same amount of work in 2 days than I would do in 3. It's weird, I know, but I have a year to do the GMAT so no worries there.
- Rich: Thanks for the reply. Please look at the previous comment to see why I study 2 days a week. Your answers are below:
1) Did you take your CATs at home? - Yes, Test center is 40 min drive.
2) Did you use a desktop computer or a laptop computer? - Laptop, only have a laptop.
3) Did you take your CATs at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? - Yes.
4) Was there ANYTHING that you did during your CATs that you weren't allowed to do (or didn't do) on Test Day? Yes! So I think you might be on the right track here. Drinking water / tea for example, so that could be one of the reasons.
5) Was there ANYTHING about Test Day itself that was inconvenient, unexpected, etc? - Yes, woke up with quite a headache...

Overall, I think you guys are right with practicing the topics more, finding new study materials and mimicking test experiences more at home. I will keep you updated!

Hi MereIM,

Since you got some great insight already, I thought I'd provide some "softer" tips on prepping for the retake:

1. Try to forget your last GMAT experience as much as you can. You cannot be afraid of your last performance. Take into account the positives: You already took the test once, so you know exactly what to expect from the test center. If you have studied well, you already know most of the material. There shouldn’t be many lingering jitters about the unknown.
2. Close knowledge gaps. If you were scattered in your studies and used multiple sources without a proper pedagogic line to follow, find a prep plan that works for you. This will streamline your learning and boost confidence.
3. Practice all parts of the exam. Focus on your weaknesses, but don't forget about your strengths. You want to hone in on them.
4. As you already plan to do, take several simulation tests in real conditions and at roughly the same hour of day. On exam day, do exactly what brought you success on sim tests.
5. Improve your time management. This is a key factor on the GMAT.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jessica
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts