Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nervous anxiety got the best of me...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Nervous anxiety got the best of me... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 06:42
What can I say. Two and a half months, 3000+ practice problems, all the support from this club, and I end up succombing to nervous anxiety the night before the exam. At most, I got an hour of sleep last night, so the last half of the exam was a complete blur. Never again will I schedule a 9am test. (That`s all ETS offers in Osaka).

Two double shot expressos at 8am somehow allowed me to stay awake during the essays and Quantitative section- which somehow managed to improve by 6 points to a 40. But after that, the caffeine wore off and sleep deprivation took control of all verbal reasoning skills. Overall, a humiliating 40/30 or 590. :die Obviously, no school will accept such a pathetic GMAT performance, so basically, and most regretfully, it`s either wait another whole year or seriously reconsider whether or not I am B-school material.

Somehow trying to keep composure and not let this ruin holiday plans with the family. Too much negativity in this world as it is, so I might as well just grin and bear it. Still, the initial shock is very hard to absorb...

:beatup

For all of you going for it before the end of the year, I wish you the best of luck! Laxie, Nakib, Alex, Duttsit, Himalaya, Christof, Bhai, Finley, and the rest of you: learn from my mistake- just relax and you will do fine.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 06:57
GMAT is one necessary instance you have to beat in order to get into b-school, but don't be a fool and say that with 590 you're not worth to become MBA student. It's one aspect out of hundreds such as character, rhetoric abilities etc. and notably stamina. Have stamina and take it again. I know about the devastating effects of anxiety, nervousness etc, but look at them from another point of view: They are challenges. No price without challenge.

If nothing helps, start your own business.

MAKE IT
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 07:12
Matt, as you pointed out: anxiety killed the best of yours, unsatisfied performance this time was definitely NOT because of your true ability! ...We here all know that you CAN score much higher!!! As long as one knows he couldn't bring out the best, he should keep trying, right?!! Low GMAT score doesn't mean that you can't go for MBA! Take a look down on GMAT, Matt, it's NOTHING to defeat your own confidence! You ARE capable, you know that, I know that and others also know that!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 07:19
Hey Matt,

What should I say. Obviously we all BELIEVE you are ALOT more than what your score shows and were expecting big good news. I feel bad for you.

Its hard to suggest anything to someone like you who already have such good grasp of all aspects of this exam. Esp in verbal. If you get 30, what should I get - 3? You know what I mean. Yes, your score does not justify you.
As you said in response to one post here:
you don't want to spend your life thinking "what if..."? You know where I am leading to.

Your benevalont, friendly attitude goes beyond GMAT and you will sure make a very good manager.

I will be glad to see you learn from Paul and gear up for final frontier.

duttsit

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Last edited by duttsit on 22 Dec 2005, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 07:43
dear matt,

i am really sorry to hear score. now prepare yourself for holiday. enjoy it. come back with full charge and beat it. 700 is not a surprise for you. it is just a matter mental readiness.

all the best and happy holiday................

himalaya
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 07:46
Hey Matt,

Extremely sorry to hear your experience. I think you should consider taking it again. NOw I think you have more motivation to crack the GMAT. Consider your age experience and other factors and decide about whether you should apply this year or not. Writing GMAT is an art. You have to learn that with whatever knowledge you have. I think that is what we all do here. Lets keep learning that art. If you see some of the trikiest questions they turn out to be so basic that a second look in non-exam condition will make you sick that it was so simple.

I think you should seriously consider killing the GMAT once again. Read some more sticky posts and start from Jan 2nd again.

--Bhai
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 08:44
can't u take it the second time.. Man, I seriously hope that you can take it the second time.. Schedule a test within a month.. u don't need no preparation. just give it a second shot!.. Second shot.. just one more.. common.. one more shot.. u can't give up, after working sooooooooooooooo harddddddddddddddd..

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 09:57
Matt, this score truly does not do justice to your ability. As Laxie said, only when you are at your best can you let the score accurately reflect your aptitude.
Can't you still make second round apps if you schedule the test on Jan 2nd or 3rd? Many schools require you to take it before the application deadline date, but they give an allowance for the arrival of scores. Just take it again, this time w/o the pre-test anxiety, and I'm sure you will do very well.
I hope you make the right decision. Good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 10:07
Hey Matt...

590 is still a decent score... but certainly not the one that represents your abilities. Don't give up mate.. And I know there are a lot of schools that accept this score.. may not be in the top10-15.

All the best for your next shot and apps!

Regards,

-Vikram

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 11:47
I am sorry. You deserve much much more. I think you should schedule for the test again as early as possible in Jan (2nd?). Can you try some other location that offers noon or after noon slots?
Just please don't give up!
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 14:00
try to feel not to sad ...and take it again as soon as possible with a different attitude...if i can help u, i will !!! chris

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 18:25
MATT,

That's bad experience indeed! But you know what? We all here know your potential very well & you are certainly a 700+ material. As you said, it's anxiety that took over.

At any cost, DON'T GIVE UP!!! You have it in you & go fo it again!
Just forget your current score...fight back :boxer

Good luck!

Cheers,
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 20:09
Matt,

Sorry to hear that you did not get the score that you wanted. Please don't despair!!

Go have a nice holiday/X'mas and lets get them after New Years! :wink

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 05:26
Matt that is not your score. Just reschedule the test as soon as possible, possibly at the noon time, and you will see yourself passing the 700 mark.
I bet you will be able to make it. we have faith in you. All of us have learnt a lot from you. Please don't give up.

take care buddy.
-nakib

hey ya......

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 06:29
gmat773, sorry for your experience. Believe me, you should not content yourself with that score. Having worked as hard and diligently as you did, it goes without saying that you deserve AND CAN do much better. This was just a bad day, that's all. Wish you all the best friend.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 06:59
Buddy boy,

The subject of your post said it all! Having realized what gave you in, you should certainly consider trashing GMAT again! You know the tricks, the patterns and you have mastered what it takes to kick ass!
As many have said, GMAT WILL NOT decide whether you will be successful as a manager! You have truly inspired many in the forum with your hardwork and winning attitude. This is not the time you give up.
590 surely feels bad, it is in no way a reflection of your abilities.

Have a good vacation with your family. Come back with a vengance! If not anything, you owe it to all of us here! We believe in your capabilities and we KNOW you can cross the 700 mark. So cheer up buddy!

Cheers, Rahul.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 07:41
Sorry to hear what happened, GMATT73. I just can't believe it. We all (I am confident that I can use the word 'we'.) thought that you will score far better than that. As you already said, getting only one hour's sleep before the test day is the problem. I do that very often due to my work, and I know how my mental and body condition becomes after that.
Please please do not give up.

I wish you happy holidays, and I'll see you active in the forum after holidays.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2005, 08:27
GMATT73:

there are lots of people who were in the same boat (or in worse boats)! I believe that it requires a lot of stamina and motivation - a can do attitude to conquer this test.

Cracking GMAT is a skill !! The more you think you can do, the more are your chances that you actually will get what you want.

Learn from my(and I am sure a lot of others') mistake - when you feel that you are 80% ready for the exam - go for it! With your laborious prep for this first time, I think that you should have a go at it within 45days.

and this time around, carry a light snack along with some fresh fruit juice. This did wonders for me - try it out! and don't lose your nerve - think about the big picture, you are a would be CEO/leader there shall be lots more challenges that you would have to live up to - tear this test apart and get into the league!

All the best! (Awake, Arise and rest not until you reach your goal)
Vithal
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 02:18
Matt,

Sorry to hear that, however usually your verbal skills are excellent and you should reach around 40 normally. A 30 in verbal doesn't reflect at all your level. Moreover before the test I remember you were mainly concern by your Q score and 40 is definitely ok, you just need to come back to your original verbal level and you will break 600 without too much trouble

i definitely believe that this verbal score was an accident, please don't give up because you have all the skills to score higher. Study again and take the test again within 2 months

good luck

Antoine
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 12:28
MAtt:
I know your skill level..its great...just calm your nerves dude..you will do awsome...I am tellling you...trust me...

just say calm...you are better than your scores...take my word for it..
  [#permalink] 29 Dec 2005, 12:28