Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 18:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (03:07) correct 29% (02:31) wrong based on 127 sessions
Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers (ISP) cannot partition their bandwidth such that different types of Internet communications have different maximum bandwidth capacities. For example, an ISP cannot relegate high bandwidth voice-over-IP (VoIP) traffic to a separate tunnel in an attempt to ensure that users of low-bandwidth functions such as plain-text email are not slowed down by the high-bandwidth users. Some individuals support implementing Net Neutrality on the principle that one group (i.e., users of high-bandwidth services) should not be effectively penalized for the actions of another group (i.e., users of slow-bandwidth services, who have a special traffic lane carved out for them, thereby slowing high-bandwidth users).

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument of the supporters of Net Neutrality mentioned above?

A) The jobs of many high-bandwidth users require these individuals to use high-bandwidth services.
B) Placing no restrictions on the bandwidth of individuals who use high-bandwidth services would force ISPs to purchase massive amounts of expensive additional bandwidth, disproportionately increasing the price of access for low-bandwidth users.
C) A strong and well respected lobbying firm recently revealed it has been hired by large telecommunications firms to oppose Net Neutrality on the grounds that it infringes upon a private company's ability to do business.
D) One country that mandated Net Neutrality saw a decrease in satisfaction of Internet users.
E) A recent court ruling upheld the principle that technology companies cannot discriminate in whom they serve or how they serve users.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 10:07
The logical conclusion from the passage is that the High bandwidth users are complaining because low bandwidth users have a separate line for their use. Now if Net neutrality is put in place then the Low bandwidth users might have to pay more or probably have slower speeds(since the high bandwidth users would continue their heavy usage irrespective) for no fault of theirs. Any answer choice which would shed some light on this should be the answer.

A : The jobs of many high-bandwidth users require them to use high-bandwidth services, but this has nothing to do with net neutrality as such and absolutely nothing to do with our conclusion; hence out of context.
C: large telecommunications firms might gain or lose something from this deal but its not relevant to the conclusion
D: satisfaction of internet users cannot be a metric here since the concerned country might have majority of low bandwidth users
E: This was very close according to me but then it speaks of basis of discrimination in serving by the ISPs, hence ruled out

B: this option is in perfect sync with our conclusion. The high bandwidth users would make merry at the expense of the low bandwidth users.

Please correct my line of reasoning if somebody finds an issue with it.

Last edited by avaneeshvyas on 18 Sep 2013, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 11:09
avaneeshvyas wrote:
The logical conclusion from the passage is that the High bandwidth users are complaining because low bandwidth users have a separate line for their use. Now if Net neutrality is put in place then the Low bandwidth users might have to pay more or probably have slower speeds(since the high bandwidth users would continue their heavy usage irrespective) for no fault of theirs. Any answer choice which would shed some light on this should be the answer.

A : The jobs of many high-bandwidth users require them to use high-bandwidth services, but this has nothing to do with net neutrality as such and absolutely nothing to do with our conclusion; hence out of context.
C: large telecommunications firms might gain or lose something from this deal but its not relevant to the conclusion
D: satisfaction of internet users cannot be a metric here since the concerned country might have majority of low bandwidth users
E: This was very close according to me but then it speaks of basis of discrimination in serving by the ISPs, hence ruled out

C: this option is in perfect sync with our conclusion. The high bandwidth users would make merry at the expense of the low bandwidth users.

Please correct my line of reasoning if somebody finds an issue with it.

Well, I think you made a small typo and typed C instead of B as the correct choice. Your line of reasoning is fine according to me.

Conclusion: Net Neutrality theory supporters states that one group (i.e., users of high-bandwidth services) should not be effectively penalized for the actions of another group (i.e., users of low-bandwidth services).

Only Choice B directly attacks this principle by showing that placing no restrictions on bandwidth usage of high BW users disproportionately increase the price of access of low BW users. Implementation of the theory violates its own principle as low BW users are penalized for the actions of high BW users.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:16
Thanks Gian for pointing it out. I have edited my previous post.
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:00
avaneeshvyas wrote:
Thanks Gian for pointing it out. I have edited my previous post.

No Issues. Well, I can tell you one easy and quick way to thank people in this forum. Press KUDOS :wink:

Happy Prepping!
Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 22:00