Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Networks of blood vessels in bats wings serve only

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 20:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

16% (01:58) correct 84% (01:19) wrong based on 172 sessions
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

The argument in the passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

A. Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.
B. All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.
C. Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.
D. If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.
E. Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 21:12
Negate (B) and the argument falls apart. Just a little confused about "in the skin of the wings" and "in the wings".

(B)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2005, 17:35
Why not (A) ?

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-wings [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2005, 20:07
kdhong wrote:
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

A. Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.

the "networks of blood vessels" can have no usage or have usage ( and thus, must be the only use of dispersing heat generated in flight)
A eliminate the case in which the networks of blood vessels has no usage-----> the conclusion can be properly withdrawn.

I go for A.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2005, 22:49
Another vote for A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 09:24
another vote for A.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 12:20
I will choose B.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 12:31
Another B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 21:15
B certainly.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 21:50
'B' it is.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 22:18
OA please.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 23:13
OA is A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2005, 04:09
This post received
KUDOS
kdhong wrote:
OA is A.

i will try to explain.

let network of blood cells = x
heat dispersion = y
Sandactylus = z

its given that x can "only" do y. but its not given that y cannot be done any other way in a creature. its also given that z has x. and the conclusion is that in z, x does y.

it assumes that in z, y cannot be done any other way than x. and thus assumes that in z , x exists with a purpose and it is given that x has only one purpose that is y

hence A

hope i made some sense :-)

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2005, 04:11
i am still confused because what i said is already in E and my choice was E only.but i tried to justify the OA which is far indirect.

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 17:23

B. All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

C. Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

D. If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.

E. Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 19:50
It has to be between A and B.....Going with B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 20:23
I choose A. "all creatures" in B is very strong phase.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 02:20
I would go with A.

B says that All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings. But passage actually assumes the reverse ie. creatures having blood vessels in the skin fly by flapping the wings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 02:42
E...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 15:46
^ A ^

It does not necessarily mean that networks of blood vessels of Sandactylus serve only to disperse heat just like it is in bats. Just looking at the similarity between two kinds is not enough to make such a conclusion.
  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2006, 15:46