Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sumi1010 wrote:
Dear Experts,
I read all the responses suggesting the explanation why D/E is incorrect, but I am still not confident on eliminating it.

I see the posts from egmat in which it is said - "Present perfect tense verb is also used when the there is no definite time frame of the action OR the action has finished in the past but the effect of which continues in the present"
https://gmatclub.com/forum/fossils-of-t ... 77781.html
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verbs-tenses/

If present perfect tense can be used in such cases, I feel this is not in-line with how daagh has eliminated D

Quote:
Over the "past" twenty years is a closed chapter. There is no indication that the scientists are continuing to amass knowledge. Therefore, "have amassed" is not appropriate in the context.

I agree to VeritasKarishma explanation , but not sure if D is incorrect just because of "now drawing..." rather than "drawing...".

May I request you to help me getting a better reason to eliminate D.

Please read my comment again.
The difference is not "now drawing" vs "drawing" (anyway, now is not underlined so it's not optional).

The difference is "now drawing" vs "are now drawing". You are missing the helping verb in (D) which will make it a verb instead of a present participle. Without "are", "drawing" is being used as a modifier (present participle). What you actually need is a proper action verb since this action is taking place.

Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge ..., and are now drawing ...
would be acceptable.

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge..., are now drawing ...
is acceptable (this is option A)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past [#permalink]
Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

(A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are-> what is "having". It is modifier. Okay. Neuroscientists are...It's okay too. Let's keep it.

(B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are-> We don't have verb, Neuroscientists....and.

(C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are-> We don't have verb, Neuroscientists....and.

(D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,-> "now drawing solid.... ", here drawing is working a modifier. Which changed the meaning.

(E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,->"now drawing solid.... ", here drawing is working a modifier. Which changed the meaning.

So, I think A. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

(A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are CORRECT

(B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are X

The “and” conjunction is unnecessary because it renders the sentence without a main verb.

(C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are X

Again “and” is unnecessary…we don’t have a main verb.

(D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, X

There’s logical connection between the first and second clause of the sentence

(E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, X

Same issue as D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Just a confirmation:

Has Having not similar usage as being - something temporary state or , having been - caused by /existed before particular point of view), an usage that GMAT doesn't prefer usually ?

Shall we keep having not as first priority and choose this option only if other options have definite errors , a strategy that we follow while handling "being"

Experts' Opinion: EducationAisle EMPOWERgmatVerbal AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma please.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
AjiteshArun

I have seen some instances where the experts cross off the non-essential modifiers within two commas to make the structure of the sentence less complex. They claim that crossing off the non-essential modifies doesn't take away the meaning of the original sentence.

In this question the Neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language because they amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood. So having done X they are now doing Y.

Although removing the modifier. "..., having amassed a wealth of.....," would still not make the right option A grammatically wrong. I wouldn't consider the modifier as a non-essential though because crossing it off would definitely take away the true meaning of the sentence.

Let me know your thoughts.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
AjiteshArun

I have seen some instances where the experts cross off the non-essential modifiers within two commas to make the structure of the sentence less complex. They claim that crossing off the non-essential modifies doesn't take away the meaning of the original sentence.

In this question the Neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language because they amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood. So having done X they are now doing Y.

Although removing the modifier. "..., having amassed a wealth of.....," would still not make the right option A grammatically wrong. I wouldn't consider the modifier as a non-essential though because crossing it off would definitely take away the true meaning of the sentence.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hello Vegita,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the core meaning of this sentence is that neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language; the phrase "having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood" is an adverbial modifier that simply provides more context to an otherwise complete meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 270
Send PM
adj/adv clause-ving

(A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are

(B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

(C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

(D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

(E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(A) Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(B) Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

(C) Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

(D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
RenukaD wrote:

(A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are

(B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

(C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

(D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

(E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

Is it right to eliminate (D) and (E) just because the actions "have amassed" can't occur simultaneously with the present-participial phrase "drawing conclusions..."? IMO, it seems to indicate that the neuroscientists were drawing conclusions while amassing a wealth of knowledge. Only after amassing amassing all the information can the conclusion be drawn.

If my reasoning is incorrect, please help me understand why the modifiers in (D) and (E) are incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlowTortoise wrote:
Is it right to eliminate (D) and (E) just because the actions "have amassed" can't occur simultaneously with the present-participial phrase "drawing conclusions..."? IMO, it seems to indicate that the neuroscientists were drawing conclusions while amassing a wealth of knowledge. Only after amassing amassing all the information can the conclusion be drawn.

If my reasoning is incorrect, please help me understand why the modifiers in (D) and (E) are incorrect.

You have the right idea here. The "amassing" logically came before the "drawing," and choice (A) expresses that logical meaning in a perfectly clear way.

That said, you could argue that the neuroscientists made some conclusions WHILE they were in the process of amassing the knowledge. In that case, "drawing" could make sense as a modifier for the main clause in (D) and (E): "Neuroscientists have amassed...".

But if that's the interpretation we want, we'd have to drop the "now" to make it clear that the "amassing" and the "drawing" are overlapping actions. The "now" seems to separate the "drawing" and the "amassing" on the timeline, and that throws a wrench in an otherwise plausible interpretation.

Choice (A) avoids this issue by using "drawing" as a verb instead of a modifier: the drawing is happening now, and the amassing happened before that. The meaning is perfectly clear and logical, making (A) a much better choice. (For more on "-ing" verbs vs modifiers, check out this article.)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts