Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Never give up - 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Never give up - 700 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
So, I'm a little on the older end to be going back to business school (32). I started getting my act together to take the gmat last summer. I bought every single book by every test prep company and signed up for Kaplan's online class, MGMAT and Newton and bought every material that GMAC has ever published. I furiously studied every free second I had over the summer, I spent my entire European Vacation sitting in cafes pouring over the material and making notes cards, lists, lists of lists, etc. I drove everyone around me crazy. Two weeks before I was scheduled to take the test, I had taken all 10 Kaplan CAT's, all the MGMAT Cats, the GMAC practice tests, and the Newton tests. The first practice test I took with no studying I got a 540. The last practice test I took (and on a side note the last practice CAT you should take is one of the GMAC's that you haven't seen) I got a 770.

I was convinced I had the ability to get an 800. I thought I did well on the Math but when I was taking my break and smoking a cigarette, I realized I'd made some mistakes and based on (lack of) difficulty of the last question, I knew I didn't crush it. I stewed on it and when I sat down for the verbal section I couldn't refocus and when I was finished, I knew I bombed it, 47 quant/32 verbal (and I'm an english major), 640, and a 4 on integrated reasoning just to rub salt in the wound. I was devastated and questioned my decision. I wondered if I should just start a band or maybe I was just not as smart as I thought I was. So if you are still reading this - you're asking, ok what's the point?

I put all my books away didn't look at anything for a month, and finally felt no longer overwhelmed by the thought of taking the GMAT again. I signed up, read a couple SC questions the night before and took the test. I know that for the most part this is a relatively unimpressive score for a lot of the folks on this website but I scored 49 quant/35 verbal = 700. And with my work experience I should get into a good business school. I don't think my experience is necessarily ubiquitous but I realized that you can over study and if you f up the first time, you can re take it, I didn't think that was really something that schools looked kindly upon but at the end of the day, from the folks I've talked to, you can retake it without (much) prejudice. I wish I went into the first test with that attitude. Ultimately, my point is, don't give up, study hard but take it in stride, it's just a test.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Never give up - 700 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:33
Expert's post
Great story! Congrats on the impressive score. I liked your comment about over-studying. Overstudying can be a big problem that's detrimental to so many of the "type A" GMAT test takers. I enjoyed your advice about just relaxing between tests and not spending too much time over-reviewing. Kudos to you!

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Never give up - 700 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 03:44
Glad to hear this. I have not been able to book in my GMAT test for another 8 weeks. I just scored a 690 and I feel I have a 700+ in me and I am chomping at the bit now to do it.

Was a bit worried that the extended study period, and my 2 week holiday in Japan between now and then might seriously hamper my score. Taking that time off seemed to work really well for you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 44

Re: Never give up - 700 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 01:42
Hi caseyohearn,

It seems your past situation represents my present situation.
I took gmat last weekend. I was consistently scoring 700+ in my prep tests. However, ended up with mere 480.
I've lost my confidence when I checked that I took nearly 45 minutes solving first 12 questions in quant section.
And thus spoiled the rest of the test.

I think I have made a havoc and thus have put myself under unbearable pressure.

Just to re-iterate which caseyohearn has said...
Guys, it's just a test, go with an open mind and a positive attitude.. I'm sure that you'll nail the GMAT-> An attitude that i gained after failing in my first attempt...

Hope I will do the same in my second attempt.. :p

All the Best.
Stay calm and study on.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Never give up - 700 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 04:02
Hi
One question -
How close are Manhattan mock CATS close to the real thing? If I get 650 there, what could I expect in the real GMAT

Any suggestions which additional mock tests to take before I take the real GMAT>

THanks
Re: Never give up - 700   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 04:02