Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New and dejected and need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New and dejected and need help [#permalink] New post 19 May 2005, 15:24
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum and need some input from all you GMAT pros.
I 've taken abt 4/5 full lenght tests PR Online, Manhattan GMAT CD etc.
I don't seem to be able to cross the 660 - 680 mark.
I don't seem to have too much of a concept problem as I've been preparing for 2 months now.

My main problems seem to be:
Qaunt - excessive silly mistakes. I'm quite strong in concepts as I hv a math background. Any tips that'll fix this will help greatly.
Verbal - The wrong choices I pick in CR & RC are usually out of scope ans choices. (When I narrow choices down to 2 I seem to invariably pick the incorrect one)

I realise there is a pattern. But I've not been successful in fixing the problems.

Can someone HELP!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT math and RC [#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 09:01
Hey there,
I know exactly what you mean. I was there for the first two months myself. Are you rushing through the questions, timing yourself? That was what had me really messing up. I kept thinking that on the real thing I would only have 2 mins per question and that pressure made you mess up even more. My best advice is to take your time and work through the OG completely and do not time yourself. You may take more practice exams when you are doing this, but your best option would be to keep working through the book. Go over your answers methodically and see which ones gave your problems. With time, your silly mistake problems will subside, but remember you are human and you may make some mistakes sometimes. Just keep a positive attitude, breathe deep and try again. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. You will do well, just be confident and keep trying. Have you used the score estimator? Often, these practice exams can be harder than the real thing (take this from someone who has taken the real thing twice).
As for the RC, do you formulate your own answers before you read the answer choices available?Take it from an English teacher, that helps alot. Out of scope questions usually is a problem for the more intelligent. Approach each question (I learned this from GMAX online-you can read the review on the website) like you are an alien and the only information you have about the topic of the essay is what you see in front of you. With the information that is in the passage (only what is in the passage) what can you conclude? Create your own answer and then look for the closest answer to yours. It is difficult at first, but if you practice it will become easier. Keep positive!!
Dientje

And whatsoever ye do do it as unto the Lord and not unto man

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 09:39
I would recommend you read all the stickies in the "share your experience" forum and you will get awesome advice there. This link might help you in terms of RC: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11569

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 10:55
True for many of us here.
Particularly like the 'alien' technique for RC & CR.
  [#permalink] 20 May 2005, 10:55