Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New format for GMAT starting in 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 20:53
Hey, what's the deal with the format change for GMAT in 2012?

A friend of mine called up asking for my suggestion on whether he should take the GMAT now, or wait till they start testing with the new format.(He wants to apply a couple of years down the line - 2014, I think?) I already got done with my GMAT last year, so haven't really been following this latest development.

Could someone tell me if it makes a difference waiting for the new format to take effect? I apologize if this topic has been discussed to death; if so, please point me to the right places, and I'll delete this thread. Thanks!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 01:19
What is going to be the new format?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 05:33
Documented before:

http://gmatclub.com/blog/2009/04/new-gm ... t-in-2013/
http://gmatclub.com/blog/2010/06/the-ne ... en-saying/

The current process is your score is good for five years. Regardless of the change, your score is still good for five years from the day you take the test.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 22:34
Any luck on what this new format might contain....wt would b d content/question patterns like?any references to those .....

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8352 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 22:35
Expert's post
Yes, there is one new section: Integrated Reasoning

http://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/01/integr ... -question/

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 00:29
My personal view is it would be better for a person to take the test before the switch, granted they have enough time to study. The new section means X number of hours devoted to studying Integrated Reasoning, which will take away from studying the current topics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 00:54
Thank you BB. Jazzman, endeavor is to accomplish before the changeover, however just getting a hang of plan B for any unforeseen circumstance.Thanks, good advice though

Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 01:14
I decided to take the test before the switch for the reason mentioned above. I am not a native speaker, which makes the test already harder than for others (but i do not want to complain or start any discussion about that). With the new part Integrated Reasoning i personally believe that i will not be easier but even a little bit more difficult to aim for 700+ if verbal is someones´ weakness.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 6

Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 15:37
Expert's post
If you're interested in video explanations for the sample Integrated Reasoning questions from GMAC, we've put together some here

http://www.gmatpill.com/newgmat/integra ... oning.html

It is up to you whether you take the GMAT exam before or after this June 5, 2012 date. I would advise that if you plan on applying for MBA in a couple of years, you should probably wait til after the new exam is administered. That way, when they compare applicants, you’ll have an Integrated Reasoning score to compare with other students. It would be a little weird for admissions committee members to see most applicants with an updated GMAT score and you have a score from way back many years.

So if you plan on applying for an MBA in 2014 or 2015, then you should wait til after June 5, 2012.

However, if you are planning to get your MBA in the next year, it’s probably best for you to make sure you register a GMAT test date in advance of this deadline. Preferably, you should register more than 1 month ahead – just in case you need to retake the test.

If you’ve been studying GMAT for a while on and off now, then it’s in your best interest to get the exam out of the way BEFORE June 5, 2012. Otherwise, if you wait til after that, you’ll have to rely on less proven study methods of attacking the integrated reasoning section.

For more info, see: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-prep-about ... ly-better/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 18:59
Well from the references given, this is in lines with what we have in India - CAT for IIM's. I did not prepare for it, but I would not say this would make it way more difficult, but yes since its a new addition it will definitely take some hours of extra efforts. Gmatpill - rightly said. I keep this as plan B thus.will go through your links to explore more.

Re: New format for GMAT starting in 2012   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2012, 18:59