Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: New GMAT Features Launching July 19 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi All,

It will also be interesting to see how many Test Takers blow their way through 5 Official GMATs in 2 months and get 'locked out' for a year...

I bet that we hear about that exact situation sometime before the end of the year.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
siinamits wrote:
This initiative sounds reasonable & research driven.
I thank you GMAC for making it little easier for MBA aspirants to earn a decent admit.

about the new policies I have one:

1. If i write GMAT on 17th July 2015, will I be able to take the GMAT after 18 days?
2. Can i write 2 GMATs in one month?

Hello,

These are both excellent questions. Below are the answers:

1. Yes, after July 19th, if you go into the system to schedule a second exam, you will be able to schedule your exam for 16 days after your previous exam. If you try to schedule a second exam prior to July 19th, however, you would still be subject to the 31-day retake period, so if you'd like to take advantage of this new policy, please be sure to wait until after July 19th to go in and schedule your second exam.
2. Yes, the only restriction on retaking the exam is the 16-day retake period, and the limit of five tests in a rolling 12-month period.

If you have any further questions about these features, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Is Cancelling scores only available post 19 July ??????
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
samichange wrote:
Is Cancelling scores only available post 19 July ??????

No, you can currently and will still be able to cancel your score after completing the test and previewing your score. More information here: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... score.aspx.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Official GMAT,

I just called your customer service line to learn more about how score cancellations are reported and am confused by what I was told.

The representative explained that if I took the test after July 19th and cancelled my scores and then re-took again and kept my scores, the final score report would not indicate a score or cancellation remark for my second attempt BUT recipient schools will know that I took the exam a total of three times. I am very confused by what I was told. Can you please clarify?

Specifically, if I take the GMAT again after July 19th and decide to cancel but want to send my initial report to schools (from my first test date last month), will the schools know that I took the exam twice or will they only see my first score?

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
rmcwatt wrote:
Official GMAT,

I just called your customer service line to learn more about how score cancellations are reported and am confused by what I was told.

The representative explained that if I took the test after July 19th and cancelled my scores and then re-took again and kept my scores, the final score report would not indicate a score or cancellation remark for my second attempt BUT recipient schools will know that I took the exam a total of three times. I am very confused by what I was told. Can you please clarify?

Specifically, if I take the GMAT again after July 19th and decide to cancel but want to send my initial report to schools (from my first test date last month), will the schools know that I took the exam twice or will they only see my first score?

Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your question on this new feature. First off, to clarify, everything depends more on when you request the score report vs. when you take the exam. That being said, any scores reported after July 19th will not show any previous cancels on the score report. There will be no indication of the amount of times the exam was taken, unless scores were reported. For example, if you tested in January and canceled your scores, then tested again in March and kept your scores, schools you indicated at that time would have received the score report with a “C” for January and a score for March. However, after July 19th, if you were to then send an additional score report to another school, all they would receive is a score for March, with no indication of the cancelled January score.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
To confirm then, this implies that, after July 19th, if I take the official GMAT test and am not pleased with the score, I can cancel it with zero evidence to the B-School that I ever took the test? The only negative is essentially that I spent $250 for nothing?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
SprayinChilean wrote:
To confirm then, this implies that, after July 19th, if I take the official GMAT test and am not pleased with the score, I can cancel it with zero evidence to the B-School that I ever took the test? The only negative is essentially that I spent $250 for nothing?

Yes and it is better than that, if you order a score report after the 19th, regardless of when you took a test and canceled your score, the cancelation will not show up.
At the same time, if you take one on July 19th and cancel, you can be back at the test center on Aug 6th with another $250 in your hand.... just keep in mind, you can take the test 5 times in a 12-month period.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
New GMAT Features Launching July 19 [#permalink]
bb wrote:
SprayinChilean wrote:

Yes and it is better than that, if you order a score report after the 19th, regardless of when you took a test and canceled your score, the cancelation will not show up.
At the same time, if you take one on July 19th and cancel, you can be back at the test center on Aug 6th with another $250 in your hand.... just keep in mind, you can take the test 5 times in a 12-month period.

Interesting. Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder what this will do long term for GMAT acceptance scores. I would be inclined to think this will raise the average as folks will be prone to taking (and canceling) the test multiple times until they get the perfect score, whereas previously folks might have settled after 1-2 tests for fear of overtaking the test.

Originally posted by SprayinChilean on 09 Jul 2015, 09:41.
Last edited by SprayinChilean on 09 Jul 2015, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SprayinChilean wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder what this will do long term for GMAT acceptance scores. I would be inclined to think this will raise the average as folks will be prone to taking (and canceling) the test multiple times until they get the perfect score, whereas previously folks might have settled after 1-2 tests for fear of overtaking the test.

Christobal

It is an interesting question. It depends - "yes" if GMAC excludes canceled scores from their percentile calculation and likely a "no" if they don't. My guess is that they do not exclude the canceled scores from their volume/calculation. Welcome other thoughts, however.

What we can definitely conclude is that this policy will increase A) Cancellations and B) Numbers of Tests taken since folks will be canceling and retaking more frequently, only limited by the budget (which I believe is the reason the 2 policies are updated simultaneously - to increase the volume of tests taken).

It will likely inflate some scores, probably making the 500 and 600 bands more competitive since that's the areas people will be canceling but since the percentiles are calculated based on all tests taken, I think the impact on 85+ percentiles will be minimal. Even more so, it may have an opposite effect where people will start taking the test unprepared (just to see what it is) and the number of lower scores will increase more so than higher, depressing the percentile inflation we have been seeing in the previous years...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Since,most schools use the best scores, it does make sense to remove the scores which the test takers think are low.If the schools do consider only the best score then there is no use of low scores or cancelled scores being on the report card :) Correct me if I am wrong...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi BB, in terms of strategising,suppose I have a 700 already, and get another 700 or 710 ,is it better to just cancel my score then and if need be reinstate it later for $100? Plus side is, I would not need another 700(unless verbal quant are specifically skewed in the pervious attempt) and lets say if I get a 710, and later feel I cant do better I get the score back. Moreover, the cancelation doesnt show if I dont reinstate them and just take it again. What do you feel?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Also, to add to the points put forth by the official GMAC people, the reason people were unhappy with the C was that it might not the a real indicator of their performance. Removing the C from future reports should also be accompanied by removing the previous lower scores. Dont you think both have the same effect. If the colleges only take your highest score, why show the lower scores on the report and hamper someone's chances of admission.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
samichange wrote:
Since,most schools use the best scores, it does make sense to remove the scores which the test takers think are low.If the schools do consider only the best score then there is no use of low scores or cancelled scores being on the report card :) Correct me if I am wrong...

I was recently told by an adcom that she would rather see a 650 or 680 twice than once. It shows you went back, studied and attempted the exam again.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MBA18,

That's an interesting opinion for an Adcomm to offer, since the idea is 'incomplete.' Is she implying that SHE would be more likely to be interested in an applicant under those circumstances? Or is she saying that she would prefer to see a duplicate score so she can 'weed out' an applicant who doesn't have the capacity to improve? Is she implying that ALL Admissions Officers at one particular School would think that? Is she implying that ALL Admissions Officers at ALL Schools would think that?

Can you provide the context for the conversation you had? And can you provide any additional details?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
OfficialGMAT wrote:
siinamits wrote:
I thank you GMAC for making it little easier for MBA aspirants to earn a decent admit.

1. If i write GMAT on 17th July 2015, will I be able to take the GMAT after 18 days?

Hello,

1. Yes, after July 19th, if you go into the system to schedule a second exam, you will be able to schedule your exam for 16 days after your previous exam. If you try to schedule a second exam prior to July 19th, however, you would still be subject to the 31-day retake period, so if you'd like to take advantage of this new policy, please be sure to wait until after July 19th to go in and schedule your second exam.
2. Yes, the only restriction on retaking the exam is the 16-day retake period, and the limit of five tests in a rolling 12-month period.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I just took the GMAT on July 8th and I wasn't pleased with my score. I tried to reschedule a new exam for 25th which is 16+ days after I took the exam, but the system didn't allow me to book my date as these new rules are still not active (i was told I need to wait 31 days). Is it possible to book my exam now? I'm asking this because if I wait until July 19th there will be no dates left for July and probably half of August in the region I'm in.

Thanks.
KD
Send PM
Expert Reply
breakenter wrote:
OfficialGMAT wrote:
siinamits wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I just took the GMAT on July 8th and I wasn't pleased with my score. I tried to reschedule a new exam for 25th which is 16+ days after I took the exam, but the system didn't allow me to book my date as these new rules are still not active (i was told I need to wait 31 days). Is it possible to book my exam now? I'm asking this because if I wait until July 19th there will be no dates left for July and probably half of August in the region I'm in.

Thanks.
KD

Hello,

I understand the position you're in, but no, you cannot take advantage of the new 16-day reschedule policy until July 19, when these enhancements take effect.

Thanks,
Jeremy
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2