Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8379 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 10:49
Expert's post
I think this has been discussed already, but saw it show up on Twitter - GMAC is implementing new security procedures for the test takes - this is supposed to make it easier/better to clear the ID requirements. I guess that's where those $250 is going...

For those not aware of the current fingerprinting process, the main reason for this procedure as well as fingerprinting procedure is to prevent test fraud where a person may assume another test-taker's identity and take the test for them. This has nothing to do with admissions or visa - the biometric records are supposed to stay only within the GMAC and their contractors performing verification.

Source: http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/testday/ ... +procedure
FAQ: http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/TestDay/ ... stions.htm

Article:
Quote:
GMAC will start replacing the digital fingerprinting used now at its GMAT testing centers with a sensor that records the unique pattern formed by a person’s palm veins. The new technology ensures that each test taker has a single GMAT record, preventing people from taking the test for others.

The system is part of the ongoing efforts of GMAC to maintain test integrity and helps ensure that the GMAT exam is a fair measure of everyone’s ability.

Test takers in Korea and India were the first to “palm” pilot the system with a 90-day trial starting in July and August at all testing centers in those countries. The technology was rolled out in other countries including the United States throughout the fall and in 27 European countries in early winter, 2008. During 2009, the sensors are expected to be in place at GMAT testing centers worldwide in accordance with the laws of the over one hundred countries where the exam is offered.
How it Works

The PalmSecure sensor, made by Fujitsu, is easier to use and less intrusive than current fingerprinting identification: You simply hold your palm several inches above the two-inch-square sensor for several seconds. Because the blood veins in your palm stay in the same position as you age and through sickness or injury, the pattern record remains unique to you.

The digital system is highly accurate. In tests on 140,000 individual palm vein patterns taken from 70,000 people, the PalmSecure device was found to be 99.99 percent accurate, with a false acceptance rate (i.e., the likelihood it recorded one person’s palm as someone else’s) of less than 0.00008 percent.

Palm vein recognition systems protect access to highly sensitive information and are used in some hospitals in the United States and in automated teller machines in Japan. Because the palm vein pattern readers use digital encryption specific to a user’s system, they provide an extra layer of privacy and assurance that the patterns cannot be used for identification by anyone else in any other context.
Testing Center Procedures

Each test taker will still be required to bring a valid photo ID to the testing center and have a photograph taken. First-time test takers will have both palms scanned. If you are retaking the test and have a fingerprint on file, you will provide a matching print as well as palm scans. The GMAT admission process also requires you to sign a digital signature pad.

In adapting the PalmSecure sensor at more than 400 testing centers worldwide, GMAC strengthens its position as the industry leader in test security.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 08:24
Quote:
I guess that's where those $250 is going...

bingo

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 08:35
It was $250 a year and a half ago when it was still finger print.

I was vein scanned in June when I took the test.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 08:44
Very interesting...It doesn't matter for an honest average Joe like me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Math Divisibility Test

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 10:55
yeah, and i dont know how long it took to sign in to the GMAT before this all changed, but when i took it earlier this month, it took a few minutes to sign in at the front desk.. and then after that once you got to the actual testing room, they had to do the vein scan thing again. so if you take one of the optional breaks, make sure to take this into account too.

GMAT Debrief

Re: New GMAT Test Identification Procedure - Scan Palm Veins   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2009, 10:55