Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 03:53
Hello,

Today I did the GMATPrep1 and scored 760(Q50, V42, IR8). I was taken aback when I saw the number of incorrect answers section-wise on review screen.

I got 9 questions incorrect in quant and the software still scored it 50. how?? is it a plausible scenario? On the other hand, I got only 7 questions incorrect in verbal to make the score of 42. I am confused--is the software doing alright?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4851 [0], given: 163

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 04:27
Expert's post
syog wrote:
Hello,

Today I did the GMATPrep1 and scored 760(Q50, V42, IR8). I was taken aback when I saw the number of incorrect answers section-wise on review screen.

I got 9 questions incorrect in quant and the software still scored it 50. how?? is it a plausible scenario? On the other hand, I got only 7 questions incorrect in verbal to make the score of 42. I am confused--is the software doing alright?

The software is absolutely alright - don't you worry!
Keep up the momentum and you will see a similar score in actual test too.

Number of correct/incorrect questions is just one parameter which decides your score. There are many more. The level of questions you answered correctly/incorrectly, the weight assigned to the questions, the order in which you answered the questions incorrectly etc impact your score.

But rest assured, the score in GMAT prep test is certainly a good indicator. Sit back and enjoy today - you deserve it. Back on the burner from tomorrow.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1237

Kudos [?]: 3406 [0], given: 181

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 07:56
Expert's post
I agree with Karishma that the software is fine. From what you told me, the scoring seems quite consistent. Q50 = 92 percentile where as V42~95 percentile. Hence, you seem to be doing fine. As next steps, your focus should be to maintain this score and figure out how to eliminate 2 mistakes each in both Quant and Verbal (dont aim for too many as you may not achieve much) to get to the 770+ range.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 09:58
syog wrote:
Hello,

In 1st Test i also felt that. I got 700 (Q48,V38) IR 5, Q-17 wrong, V - 15 wrong
In 2nd one I got 680 (Q48, V35) IR 8 Q-10 wrong, V-12 wrong

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:03
I think it's important to note which questions you answer incorrectly/correctly. If you incorrectly answer all "lower level" questions your score will be lower in comparison to a test where you incorrectly answered all "harder level" questions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 06:29
SOURH7WK wrote:
syog wrote:
Hello,

In 1st Test i also felt that. I got 700 (Q48,V38) IR 5, Q-17 wrong, V - 15 wrong
In 2nd one I got 680 (Q48, V35) IR 8 Q-10 wrong, V-12 wrong

I had written GMAT Prep Test 1 yesterday. I scored 610 (Q50, V23) but in MGMAT exam I scored 670 (Q51, V32). The difference in no. of correct questions in quant was around 1 or 2 but Verbal Scores took me off. In GMAT Prep Verbal I had 24 correct, 17 incorrect whereas in MGMAT I had 22 correct, 19 incorrect.

Please explain to me as to how such a huge difference is there in scoring.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4851 [0], given: 163

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 10:40
Expert's post
ankit546 wrote:
I had written GMAT Prep Test 1 yesterday. I scored 610 (Q50, V23) but in MGMAT exam I scored 670 (Q51, V32). The difference in no. of correct questions in quant was around 1 or 2 but Verbal Scores took me off. In GMAT Prep Verbal I had 24 correct, 17 incorrect whereas in MGMAT I had 22 correct, 19 incorrect.

Please explain to me as to how such a huge difference is there in scoring.

I have two suggestions:

1. GMAT prep test score is the best indicator of your level of preparation. Use all other tests to practice. Use them to learn form your mistakes and identify your weaknesses. Do not make much of the score you achieve in them. The algorithm used by GMAC is not disclosed so prep test companies make their algorithms according to their own judgment. The algorithms are not the same and hence your scores are not comparable.

2. Do not try to analyze your score from only the correct/incorrect number of questions perspective. I understand that we have information about only that perspective and hence we tend to analyze it from every angle but it is a waste of time. As I said before, there are many other factors that decide your score. Since you cannot analyze them, don't waste your time. Instead, use this time to work on an area you don't like. You are sure to gain from it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: New GMATPrep scoring-cant believe this   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2012, 10:40