Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Apr 2015, 17:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New Guy-What can I go after?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New Guy-What can I go after? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 17:08
Hi Everyone,

I am still a couple years away from applying to Bschool but wanted to get an idea of how high I can aim as far as admissions. I want to get into a top business school (doesnt everybody :-D ) but I have some doubts about my credentials.

I graduated with a 3.0 in Finance from Texas Tech University and now currently work for a top consulting firm on the financial side. I traditionaly score in the top 10+% in standardized tests and feel I could do pretty well on the GMAT. Seeing these stats I would agree if you stated I am not very competitive for a top business school, however, I have one of those "unique" situations.

Without disclosing too much of my personal life, Ill explain a little bit. I am an orphan and was raised as a ward of Texas. When I graduated I had a few sets of close and thats it. No car, no cell, nothing. I graduated high school and was pretty much given $200 and left to my own devices. So, I immediately enrolled in summer school at the university that was located in the city I had been living in (TTU). I worked up to three jobs at a time putting myself through college and made it where I am today.

I have a couple pretty impressive nonprofit business dealings I got going while in college (If I say so myself) and am still contributing back to the group homes I lived in by doing presentations to the kids about how they can be successful once they graduate high school and are on their own.

Considering the above, can I REALISTICALLY go after a top business school. If so.. what kind of GMAT score will I need?

Sorry for the long post, and I promise I will be contributing to this forum more significantly as my Bschool search advances.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: New Guy-What can I go after? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 01:14
Expert's post
First of all, congratulations on all that you've accomplished given your circumstance. If you can score within the top 10% on GMAT, which is around 700, you should be okay for most of the "top" b-schools. Of course, the higher the better, since your GPA is on the lower side. However, if you can score 700+ (or even 690+), don't worry too much about your scores. You should instead focus on how to sell your story to the AdCom to convince them that you are right for the school. I would mention but NOT focus your essays on your upbringing. You need to balance out the personal story with professional experience that demonstrate leadership and maturity. You should also demonstrate some kind of career goal post-MBA in your essays.

You should start doing some research on the schools that fit your post-MBA career goal NOW, and have lists of schools. When you are ready to apply, it's best to narrow down the list two 3-5 schools, spread the application process over the 1st and 2nd round. It is VERY difficult to get admitted in the final application round, usually round 3. B-school application is very time consuming (for you and your recommenders), this is why applicants generally only apply for 3-5 schools to focus the effort on the target schools.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: New Guy-What can I go after? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 10:47
You have come a long way in life... and there is nothing stopping you from going further and getting into a top 10 MBA program. Get the highest GMAT score you are capable of... aim for at least 700 to be competitive but if you can og higher, even better.. Once you pass the GMAT hurdle focus on other areas of your application, your essays, your letters of recommendation and most importantly, express how your background makes you unique and how you will add value to your MBA class.. Goodluck!
Re: New Guy-What can I go after?   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 10:47