Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New Job or MBA? Help me Decide....

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

New Job or MBA? Help me Decide.... [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 13:31
So I recieved a job offer recently and am having issues deciding whether I should take it or push it off and go to B-School (if I am accepted).

I got an offer to work at a Fund of Hedge Fund as a Snr Analyst.

Base: 85k
Bonus: 30-100% of base
Total Comp: 110k-170k

I was applying to the usual top 10 b-schools, looking to move from the Fund of Hedge Fund side to working at a Hedge Fund. With this package though, the comp is pretty close to what I would expect out of B-school. But I know if I take this position I would prolly end up forefiting my full time asperations and end up going part-time, which would be a compromise as I was really looking forward to the full-time experience. But the money is pretty sweet.

What would you do in my shoes?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: New Job or MBA? Help me Decide.... [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 13:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
alphafarmer wrote:
So I recieved a job offer recently and am having issues deciding whether I should take it or push it off and go to B-School (if I am accepted).

I got an offer to work at a Fund of Hedge Fund as a Snr Analyst.

Base: 85k
Bonus: 30-100% of base
Total Comp: 110k-170k

I was applying to the usual top 10 b-schools, looking to move from the Fund of Hedge Fund side to working at a Hedge Fund. With this package though, the comp is pretty close to what I would expect out of B-school. But I know if I take this position I would prolly end up forefiting my full time asperations and end up going part-time, which would be a compromise as I was really looking forward to the full-time experience. But the money is pretty sweet.

What would you do in my shoes?


I'd say take a look at other factors outside of the money. Would you be able to meet your career objectives by not going FT? Are you happy with your current career and the trajectory that is laid out if you were to stay with it? Will NOT getting an MBA prevent you from being able to get to your goals? All pretty much the same question but different ways of approaching it. Answer those and that should help you decide. You're in an enviable position in which the salary part of the equation is taken out and this is now purely based upon what you want.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 176
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: New Job or MBA? Help me Decide.... [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 13:36
alphafarmer wrote:
So I recieved a job offer recently and am having issues deciding whether I should take it or push it off and go to B-School (if I am accepted).

I got an offer to work at a Fund of Hedge Fund as a Snr Analyst.

Base: 85k
Bonus: 30-100% of base
Total Comp: 110k-170k

I was applying to the usual top 10 b-schools, looking to move from the Fund of Hedge Fund side to working at a Hedge Fund. With this package though, the comp is pretty close to what I would expect out of B-school. But I know if I take this position I would prolly end up forefiting my full time asperations and end up going part-time, which would be a compromise as I was really looking forward to the full-time experience. But the money is pretty sweet.

What would you do in my shoes?


Sounds like a cool gig.

If you won't be satisfied until you wind up at a HF, and you believe the only way there is via b-school, then do that.

Don't let your comp dictate your move, though. Even if I was making post-mba salary/bonus right now, I'd still leave in a heartbeat. I'm not doing what I want to do.

Obvious advice, I know.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: New Job or MBA? Help me Decide.... [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 14:08
I appreciate the input. The FoHF side has positive aspects but so does direct HF investing. Its a nice situation but a difficult choice.

Thanks guys.
Re: New Job or MBA? Help me Decide....   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2009, 14:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Help me decide - Mckinsey job offer in hand or pursue MBA dlwdmo 3 07 Jan 2014, 20:11
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? Joe00 9 19 Nov 2012, 09:32
Help: MBA or new job (and then MBA)? Joe00 2 17 Nov 2012, 04:18
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA or job?....help me evaluate my profile....! raunakjain 3 23 Jul 2010, 23:03
Help me decide CHON 2 25 Mar 2008, 09:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

New Job or MBA? Help me Decide....

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.