Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2016, 23:19
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New member looking for reality check

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New member looking for reality check [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 14:36
First post on here so hi all. I'm looking for a reality check on potential b-schools here. My undergrad is from a Canadian university with a GPA of 3.25 in engineering. My first few years were quite fun (GPA of 2.7), and then I pulled out all the stops and got a 3.6 in the last two years because they were the only ones that mattered for grad school at the time. Did a masters and did quite well (deans list, with a 4.0GPA, international patent and publications). Followed that up with a PhD (or DPhil as it is known at Oxford University) in one of the top rated departments. Did 1.5 years in operations consulting and am now in a leadership position with an large American company.

After nearly a decade in academia (winning over $300,000 in awards after my first two drunken years in school) I'm keen to only do top 5-10 EMBA/MBA's. Currently I have my sights set on something like a Wharton or Booth EMBA, or something in that league. The one element from my profile that is missing is my GMAT, which I've yet to do.

What I'm wondering is if my background and PhD pedigree would let the admissions staff to overlook my average 4 year undergraduate GPA or not. If I have no chance of a top 10 then I'm not overly keen to go through all the work so I would like an honest assessment. What are your thoughts, would a top school accept me at any GMAT score or would my time would be better spent networking than GMAT prepping?

Thanks all!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 868 [0], given: 114

Re: New member looking for reality check [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 19:04
Let me first welcome you to the GMAT Club! You are in the right place if you are interested in BSchool.

It's hard to tell your shot at those programs without more info about you b/c there are SOOO many aspects to a strong applicant, but assuming that you are the correct age with the correct amount of experience (around 10 years or more) then you would be perfect for almost ALL EMBA programs. You have a strong profile in my opinion, and assuming that you can bring a 700+ to your GMAT I think you'll have a good shot. Your GPA should not really matter anymore if you're that far out of college, and you did well in your masters programs. Plus you did very well in your last 2 years (which they will most likely ask you about).

Now, if you are looking for regular full time MBA's (have like 3-8 years experience), then we'd need to know more about your work experience, leadership experience, letters of rec, GMAT, extra curriculars, etc... to know your shots. But you have a very strong framework, and I think you have some necessary pieces to breach into the top 5-10 schools.

Question I'm asking myself though is why an MBA when you already have a PhD. The Adcoms will want to know this too...

Good luck, and let us know how we can be of service to you in the GMAT journey!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: New member looking for reality check   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2012, 19:04