Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [38]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [2]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: New: The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more ret [#permalink]
Kudos
This what I felt when I read E, E mentions If the distribution of fliers by retail establishments were subsidized, then most retail establishments would distribute fliers.. It doesn't mention who subsidised whereas our argument concerns only government subsidised distribution of fillers. E takes a broad scope and hence loses to C

Mountain14 wrote:
Whats difference between C and E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Mountain14 wrote:

If you negate "E" then it will be "not necessarily most retail stores will distribute fliers" which means that some will which indicate that prices could indeed fall.

However in "C" , if u negate it will be " Not necessarily MORE retail stores will distribute fliers" which means that price will not change and conclusion falls apart :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
the missing conditional chain is: if the government subsidies the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, more retail establishments would distribute fliers.
hence C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
riskietech wrote:
The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more retail establishments will distribute fliers, and retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items listed in the fliers than retail establishments that do not distribute fliers charge for equivalent items. Thus, if the government subsidized the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.

The argument above presupposes which of the following?
A: Some of the most moderately priced retail establishments do not currently have the financial resources to distribute fliers.
B: Consumers will buy more retail items if the overall cost of these items decreases.
C: If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers, more retail establishments would distribute fliers.
D: If more retail establishments distribute fliers listing items at lower prices, some retail establishments who do not distribute fliers will lower their prices on these items.
E: If the distribution of fliers by retail establishments were subsidized, then most retail establishments would distribute fliers.

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma !

I think it's a exact replica of an OG problem.I usually lose my way while dealing with such problems . I mean in the farrago of language and information I miss out on the key logical deduction.
Can you please guide me how to tackle such problems ?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
SR
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Kudos
riskietech wrote:
The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more retail establishments will distribute fliers, and retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items listed in the fliers than retail establishments that do not distribute fliers charge for equivalent items. Thus, if the government subsidized the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.

A: Some of the most moderately priced retail establishments do not currently have the financial resources to distribute fliers.
B: Consumers will buy more retail items if the overall cost of these items decreases.
C: If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers, more retail establishments would distribute fliers.
D: If more retail establishments distribute fliers listing items at lower prices, some retail establishments who do not distribute fliers will lower their prices on these items.
E: If the distribution of fliers by retail establishments were subsidized, then most retail establishments would distribute fliers.

Here is my take by negation, though a little bit convoluted.

Conclusion: If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, the more retail establishments will distribute fliers and the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.

C. If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers, more retail establishments would distribute fliers.

NS: If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers, NOT more retail establishments would distribute fliers.

This means that the number of retail establishments that distribute fliers after subsidy would be less than or equal to the number of retail establishments that distributed fliers before subsidy. So, price will not decrease; it may remain stable (if the number of retail establishments that distribute fliers after subsidy is equal to the number of retail establishments that distributed fliers before subsidy) or increase (if the number of retail establishments that distribute fliers after subsidy is less than the number of retail establishments that distributed fliers before subsidy). Therefore, conclusion falls apart. Correct answer.

NS: If the distribution of fliers by retail establishments were subsidized, then NOT most retail establishments would distribute fliers.

This means that though MOST retail establishments will not distribute fliers, SOME retail establishments will distribute fliers. The number of this SOME retail establishments may be more than or equal to or less than the number of retail establishments that distributed fliers before subsidy. If the number of retail establishments that distribute fliers after subsidy is more than the number of retail establishments that distributed fliers before subsidy, the price will decrease. So, conclusion will remain same. Not correct answer.

I am not expert, so I may be wrong. If so, please correct me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
riskietech wrote:

Conclusion: the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.
A,B and E simply do not talk about the impact to the cost. So they are out.
Quote:

I fell for D but C is a better choice.
C - The more the fliers the cheaper the prices will be (I did not think about the later half of the sentence but the stem mentions that the retailers who distributes fliers reduce their prices. It seemed like an assumption to me but it is not)
D- I guess D is fine as well but it is more of a trap answer. But it kinda goes out of scope too. We are not concerned about retailers who do not distribute fliers.

Hence C
+1 for the question.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 340
GRE 1: Q169 V152
GPA: 3.94
WE:Research (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja

Please explain "what the argument pre-supposes?" mean, does it mean to find the assumption?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
santosh93 wrote:
GMATNinja

Please explain "what the argument pre-supposes?" mean, does it mean to find the assumption?

Yes, it's asking for the assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
New: The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more ret [#permalink]
riskietech wrote:

The highlighted part above says - " The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more retail establishments will distribute fliers " And thats exactly what option C is. But since this is already given in the passage as a FACT, how can we select that as an assumption? The assumption has to be a missing link between the facts and the conclusion. But here, the first statement is ideally a fact, so how can that be an assumption? Bunuel VeritasKarishma Really confused with this question, please help.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
riskietech wrote:

Of the given options, only (C) makes sense.

Lower the cost, more distributions
retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items listed in the fliers.

Conclusion: If the government subsidized the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.

Now note that only the conclusion talks about subsidy by Govt. The premises do not mention it.
What if subsidy by Govt increases the cost somewhere else? To establish that subsidies will reduce cost to consumers, we need to establish that subsidies will lead to more distribution of fliers.

Though I agree that I was not expecting this. I was looking for something that talked about these retailers charging more for other products (not mentioned in flyers etc) or something to that effect which said that overall cost to consumer may not reduce.
Again, of the given options, only (C) makes sense but this is not an official question so I don't need to worry much about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
New: The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more ret [#permalink]
What about low-priced retailed establishments? what about high-priced retail establishment? Besides that the author need not assume this to arrive at the conclusion.
Conclusion is about drop in the retail price not about buying capacities of the customer
Accurate, goes along the lines presented in the context of the argument.

Author is thinking that the proportion of the retail establishments that start distributing fliers would increase, leading to a drop in the retail price. Mere 'Drop in the price' is not his idea.
Similar to C but is broader in scope. Not sure who the provider of the subsidy is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
Send PM
HarveyS wrote:

it specifically describes the susidized rates for retailers. y would the govt subsudise rates of fliers for only retailers?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Another one of the CRs that bowled me, The lower the cost of [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Another one of the CRs that bowled me, The lower the cost of [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts