Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 584

Kudos [?]: 2067 [1] , given: 673

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:36) correct 24% (00:33) wrong based on 270 sessions
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) splitting apart continents
(B) the splitting apart of continents
(C) split apart continents
(D) continents split apart
(E) continents that were split apart
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2067 [0], given: 673

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 01:49
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 38

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 08:28
souvik101990 wrote:
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

we need parallelism and only B has it.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 12:47
souvik101990 wrote:

Can you explain why 'C" is not the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 11:19
jitgoel wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

yes same question from my end...I know parallelism is needed in this question but please explain why not C....
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [5] , given: 38

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
Maryam787 wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

yes same question from my end...I know parallelism is needed in this question but please explain why not C....

We have a list of noun phrases here -

reversals in the Earth’s
the onset of ice ages
volcanic eruptions

(A) splitting apart continents - this is a verb and conveys that preceding action did the splitting
(B) the splitting apart of continents - "of" makes the difference here..."the splitting" becomes the noun phase
(C) split apart continents - "split" again acts as verb - we need a noun - thats why this stands incorrect in the context
(D) continents split apart - change of meaning
(E) continents that were split apart - incorrect

I hope this helps!

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 23:01
Action nouns are parallel to complex gerund phrases.

Only B satisfies the condition.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 10:38
yashii9 wrote:
Maryam787 wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

We have a list of noun phrases here -

reversals in the Earth’s
the onset of ice ages
volcanic eruptions

(A) splitting apart continents - this is a verb and conveys that preceding action did the splitting
(B) the splitting apart of continents - "of" makes the difference here..."the splitting" becomes the noun phase
(C) split apart continents - "split" again acts as verb - we need a noun - thats why this stands incorrect in the context
(D) continents split apart - change of meaning
(E) continents that were split apart - incorrect

I hope this helps!

thank you,,,It was very helpful,,,got your point,,,
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 34

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 05:53
To maintain the parallelism of the sentence, the list that the impacts (reversal...., onset, ...splitting.... and ....eruptions) need to be parallel. As it stands in A the list goes noun, noun, verb, noun so we need to correct the verb phrase into a noun phrase.
A – eliminate because splitting is a noun
B – Correct. Splitting in this sense is a gerund and therefore a noun. This is achieved by the placement of ‘the’ and the conjunction ‘of’ which makes continents a modifier of the noun. Think of running, it’s an activity (i.e. a noun) and an action (i.e. a verb)
C – split is a verb in the infinitive, and hence isn’t the noun we’re looking for
D – Not sure how to explain this unless I simplify the sentence. Catastrophic impacts .... caused...SPLIT APART CONINENTS. As is stands, this sentence says that the asteroids created the continents (which are split) rather than creating the action of splitting the continents.
E – Again, this sentence says that the continents were created, rather that the action of splitting.

In the study cave!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 102

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 01:11

(B) the splitting apart of continents CORRECT

It is not C because the sentence - the splitting apart of continents - says that some action lasted in past, that it was a process and not just one moment in time...and C doesn't emphasise that it was a process, but something that asteroids and comets usually do. This is how I've understood it.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 84

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 22:54
B is the right answer because it maintains parralelism by the use of a gerund phrase.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 22:06
can we omit "the" in "B". Whats wrong with "splitting apart of continents".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [1] , given: 0

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
B is correct - action nouns such as "reversal" can be parrallel to complex gerunds such as "splitting apart of continents" but not to simple gerunds such as "splitting apart continents"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 17:44
A question on the non-underlined portion:

Does the "impacts of" distribute to comets? That is, is the sentence saying that the impacts of asteroids and [the impacts of] comets, or the impact of asteroids and [just as themselves, not their impacts] comets?"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 16:55
MacFauz wrote:
Action nouns are parallel to complex gerund phrases.

Only B satisfies the condition.

Hi MacFauz,

I believe that this might be where my disconnect is. Can you please elaborate on this?

I noticed the "the" in front of "onset of ice ages" and I couldn't understand how that was parallel to "great volcanic eruptions". Wouldn't it have to be "the great volcanic eruptions"?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 19:30
You cannot have the definite article "the" before "great volcanic eruptions" as you aren't referring to some specific great volcanic eruptions. In the "the onset of ice ages" and "the splitting apart of continents", the "of ice ages" and "of continents" provide the needed specific details about the onset and the splitting apart, respectively.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 00:19
souvik101990 wrote:

can't we look at C as a participle phrase and thereby as an adjective? Can anyone please explain?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2067 [0], given: 673

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 01:03
Expert's post
Ergenekon wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

can't we look at C as a participle phrase and thereby as an adjective? Can anyone please explain?

"split apart" is used as an adjective for "continents". However it is not parallel with the other items in the list.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 01:53
what about great volcanic eruptions?
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 01:53