Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New to Acct. World and Looking for Advice on Career Route

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Merage - Class of 2016
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

New to Acct. World and Looking for Advice on Career Route [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 12:23
Hello everyone. :)

I am someone who is looking to make his career change into accounting and needed advice from those who've gone down this path.

I'm currently enrolled in the PT MBA program at UCI. The program, despite being a PT Program, is firmly designed to help career changes, which is fortunate for me. I'm currently in healthcare and not enjoying myself. Accounting I feel is more for me, and I will have my elective plan scheduled accordingly to assist me in that career path (as well as accumulating some of the 150 hours for the CPA exam). While I feel this is a solid start, I'm quite in the dark about how to progress beyond this, so I have a few questions.

Before I begin, let me say first that debt and costs aren't a giant concern here. The concern is taking smart steps toward becoming more accomplished in this field. As someone who worked hard but followed poor advice in the past, I'd like to make the right moves this time. For a little background: I'm 29, graduated from CSUF with BA in Business Admin (Marketing), and am currently enrolled in UCI MBA.

1) My age. I'll be 29 in a week, and 31 when I graduate the MBA program (And likely around 35 when it's time for the CPA). Is this considered too old in the world of public/private accounting?

2) During the MBA program I'm going to switch to an accounting internship or job. Which jobs/internships are best to look for? (In other words, are there certain skills I should look for in the job description that would be most beneficial to a novice accounting student?)

3) After the program I plan on adding another Masters (Will need to in order to help towards the 150). MS Taxation looks very appealing to me. Ideally, a tax accountant would be the goal here. However, would it be more beneficial to work towards the MPAc, or is it really based more on which I'd enjoy more? Additionally, do employers recruit Masters' students from these MS Tax programs, or just the MPAc programs?

I apologize for the long winded post, I'm just looking to connect the dots and avoid mistakes in my career path this time around. Thank you.
New to Acct. World and Looking for Advice on Career Route   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 12:23