Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New to Business after dabbling in med school, need help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New to Business after dabbling in med school, need help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 19:26
Hey guys, I'm new here...wasn't sure where to post (and tried searching)...but here goes.

A little background on me, I graduated from a large state school in 2008 with a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, with a sub-par gpa (2.9), I then went to med school for a year, long story short, things didn't work out (had family issues, found I wasn't really cut out for medicine). However, I had always planned to pursue an MBA after or with my medical studies, but had not gotten around to doing so. I am now considering just going for an MBA, but I'm not sure where to start. I understand to get into top B-schools, work experience is a big help. Coming from non-business background, I'm not sure I have the experience or resume to apply to a top B-school, what can I do to change this? I feel the only job I could get with my current bachelor's degree would be a lab tech position...which I would like to avoid if possible. Should I go back and get a Bachelors degree in business (I've been thinking finance, since my older brother did that)...my reasoning behind getting a bachelor's degree is that during that time I will also be able to gain experience and maybe get an internship, letters of rec, etc...orrrrr, should I apply to a Master's program? I've emailed a few of my local schools, but haven't heard much from them. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

Ps. sorry for the wall of text.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: New to Business after dabbling in med school, need help! [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 13:57
bump
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: New to Business after dabbling in med school, need help! [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Get a job. Yes, it's harder to do in this economy, but the last thing you want to do is to go back to school right now (as you may or should've learned from your med school experience, going to school doesn't solve your problems for what you want to do - it only tells you what you do NOT want to do).

Even a lab tech job to hold you over can help.

Don't think about b-school or any school right now. Again, school isn't a magic slipper to solve whatever uncertainty or indecision you may have about your life/career going forward.

Work.

Doesn't matter what job it is. It's not only a rite of passage into adulthood (and yes, in my view you are not a *real* adult until you have had to work for a living full-time), but a way for you to root yourself in the real world and discover more about who you are and what you're truly interested in. You can't do that in school - school is a bubble - you're in a protected environment conjecturing about what the "outside world" is really like, oftentimes with students and professors who themselves have limited exposure outside a campus environment.

You'll have to get imaginative. Keep in mind that a lot of people don't end up working in careers that have anything to do with their undergrad degrees.

Engineers working in hedge funds or consulting firms.

Biochem majors working at an ad agencies.

English majors working as assistant brand managers at consumer products companies.

And so forth. Especially in business, you don't need a business degree -- you need hustle more than anything else.

You gotta find a way to get a full-time job. That first job is probably not going to be ideal, but it gets you working, and from there you can grow and begin to find your place in the working world. And even if you do jump around a bit from one job to the next, it still beats going back to do yet another masters at this point especially if you don't know what you want.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: New to Business after dabbling in med school, need help!   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2010, 15:31