Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 420 Q37 V17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 05:21
Greetings everyone,

My name is Nick and I am from Greece. 3 months ago I decided to take the GMAT in order to apply for business schools for 2 year full time MBA, primarily in Boston Massachusetts. I have no great expectations, for example MIT or Harvard Bschools. I never imagined though, that the GMAT would actually be time consuming and hard to study and practise. Today I took my frist test and got a very disapointing score of 420 (Q31 V17). Though my practise scores were usually between 550-650 (Q50-70 V45-50), two days before the exam I took the GMAT PREP test in order to see how close I am to what I expect. And there it was.. Test 1 490(Q69% V11%) and Test 2 470 (Q65% V15%). So today the actual test fell on me like a missile leaving me with regrets and disapointment. I am not writing this topic to discourage anyone from thinking OMG wtf I am going to do. As a candidate I simply want to share my experience with you and wish the best of luck to all candidates. As for me I don't really know what my next move will be but I am not ready to give up so easily.

I need some help though regarding my applications. Do you believe I should apply to the universities or I shouldn't even try with this score?
Do I need to consider retaking the exam before the final deadlines? (even though I don't really know how to improve my low score)
Is it possible to improve this score in 1 month?

Thank you in advance
I ll try my best to participate in every section as it seems to me that this forum is actully a lot of help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 66

Re: New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 06:21
Expert's post
Blink wrote:
Greetings everyone,

My name is Nick and I am from Greece. 3 months ago I decided to take the GMAT in order to apply for business schools for 2 year full time MBA, primarily in Boston Massachusetts. I have no great expectations, for example MIT or Harvard Bschools. I never imagined though, that the GMAT would actually be time consuming and hard to study and practise. Today I took my frist test and got a very disapointing score of 420 (Q31 V17). Though my practise scores were usually between 550-650 (Q50-70 V45-50), two days before the exam I took the GMAT PREP test in order to see how close I am to what I expect. And there it was.. Test 1 490(Q69% V11%) and Test 2 470 (Q65% V15%). So today the actual test fell on me like a missile leaving me with regrets and disapointment. I am not writing this topic to discourage anyone from thinking OMG wtf I am going to do. As a candidate I simply want to share my experience with you and wish the best of luck to all candidates. As for me I don't really know what my next move will be but I am not ready to give up so easily.

I need some help though regarding my applications. Do you believe I should apply to the universities or I shouldn't even try with this score?
Do I need to consider retaking the exam before the final deadlines? (even though I don't really know how to improve my low score)
Is it possible to improve this score in 1 month?

Thank you in advance
I ll try my best to participate in every section as it seems to me that this forum is actully a lot of help.

Hi Blink, your experience is not uncommon with the GMAT. It is a test that many find difficult to prepare for easily and excel at the first time. Obviously your score was a little disappointing to you, but the question of whether you should go ahead and apply with this score depends primarily on the GMAT score required by the school you're applying to. If they want 600, you're probably a little far off, even if the rest of your candidature is excellent, so I'd keep that in mind before applying.

As for improving on the exam, you seem to have done fairly well on the quantitative side, it's the verbal that needs work. Since there are only three major topics on verbal (Critical Reasoning, Sentence Correction and Reading Comprehension), I'd concentrate on the area in which you got the lowest score and go over the basic strategy again. If you can pull up that verbal score while maintaining the math one, you'll go up a fair bit and maybe hit a score that you're happier with. One month is enough time to execute on this strategy if you want. There are great resources on this board so feel free to look things over. If you'd like specific suggestions on CR, RC or SC resources, just let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 420 Q37 V17

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:42
Ron thank you for your reply. After much thought, I just sat down and reevaluated a few things I certaintly did wrong today. First of all I overestimated my power and didn't focus on my weaknesses. I really thought that even though I could do well in the GMAT, I fell victim of: time consuming hard questions and not so good preparation for the Verbal section. I also left Quantative section without answering 1 question and Verbal 2 questions which I am pretty sure I got some penalty points for those... (don't really know how much penalty points are worth..) The point is that I am willing to retake the exam as well to be prepared for the verbal section. My goal is 620+ and in my opinion I am capable of achieving this score.

If anyone else has to comment be free to do so. :)
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 66

Re: New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected. [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:54
Expert's post
Blink wrote:
The point is that I am willing to retake the exam as well to be prepared for the verbal section. My goal is 620+ and in my opinion I am capable of achieving this score.

Hi Blink, I love the positivity. I'm reminded of one of my favorite lines, which is very apropos to the GMAT:

Wherther you think that you can, or that you can't, you're usually right.

Stay positive, practice, shore up your current weaknesses and there's no reason you can't get the score you want on this exam.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected. [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:44
Just start over with the basics. Best of luck.
Re: New to GMAT - 420 Disapointing Score, not what I expected.   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 10:44