Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New user: Question on the strategy to start

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

New user: Question on the strategy to start [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 15:22
Hi to all,

I'm a new user to this forum, however I was wondering if you guys can offer me a good advice on which resource and strategy I should undertake in order to get a decent GMAT score.

Target score that I would like to achieve is around 600. Also, please note that appointment for Gmat is in March about 2 months away.

I have purchased the Gmat OG 12th edition but I have quickly realized that I'm not a par with most of the math or CR or SC questions as this book only shows very little perspective on how to solve the actual questions.

Please advice on what strategy should be good here to achieve the score. Also please note that at max I have 1h to study during the week and weekends a little more.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [1] , given: 114

Re: New user: Question on the strategy to start [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 16:34
This post received
KUDOS
Well let me be the first to welcome you to the GMATclub. I promise you, you'll find everything you're looking for right here. First, it sounds like you need a study plan, so why don't you take a look here: gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

This is one of the best study plans every compiled, and it will definitely help point you in the right direction. Now since you have 2 months, I would recommend that you start studying as soon as possible, and make an effort to collect a couple good books for your studies. I would also recommend that you take a diagnostic test so you know exactly how much studying you will need to do to attain you 600. For instance, if you score a 570, then your almost there, but a 370, and you've got a good bit of studying ahead of you.

Once you've had an opportunity to do both of those things, follow the study plan to attain your goals. Dive into the GMAT head first, and put your all into it so come March, you'll be done forever.

Come by and ask any questions you need, or search the forums for help. Best of luck on your GMAT journey!

PS. the OG guide itself will not be a strong study tool on its own. It is a collection of real practice questions though which will help later in your studies. Practice questions will not get you ahead, but the mastery of the topics, strategies, and questions will, and then practice of these question of course. The OG has very basic explanations, and could leave you more confused if you're using it as your only means to learn. Start with the very basics (Refreshers) and then work to the more advanced. Only needing a 600 means that you don't even have to get the hardest of questions correct. Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: New user: Question on the strategy to start [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 17:42
GmatLA - Thanks much for the great constructive feedback. Yeah, I agree with all the points that you have mentioned above.

The only thing that I'm debating is whether or not it is useful for me to buy the entire manhattan series of books. The way i'm currently viewing it is based on purchasing the following set to study:

1) For Quant Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook 7th edition

2) For SC and CR Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook 6th edition

3) Would be implementing everything from those books through the use of the Gmat OG 12.

Again, I would like to narrow down as to minimum amount of study material as I would like to concentrate on 2 or 3 sources of study.

As it relates to the actual practice test, I have started the first test in Gmat OG 12 and it seemed like the quant section was a bit tricky for me where I would know how to solve the problem in instances but chose a wrong answer at the last step due to the fact that it requires an additional step to be completed. Of course there are also problems where they are very confusing in wording such as Data sufficiency questions. On the other hand sentence correction from my first attempt I was able to get a result of 4 of 10 but was very close at many of the answers where I always narrowed down the answers to two choices and picked the wrong as I thought the other one was just too obvious.

I think overall as it stands right now I would be in 400 low range at best.

Please review the list of material attached below, and let me know if this list is sufficient enough to begin.

P.S. Those Lakers need D12 hehehe. Kobe is going into that mode where he will drop 30 every night just to make the game close.

Thanks again.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [1] , given: 114

Re: New user: Question on the strategy to start [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 18:26
This post received
KUDOS
No problem! The Lakers are a story for another day :) haha,

So I can't attest to either of those books you've listed b/c I have not used them but from what I've heard I think they would be great to build your foundations and will definitely get you to your goal. I would definitely recommend that you purchase atleast 1 Manhattan GMAT book. This is because all the books come with an online portion that will give you access to 6 practice CAT (Computer Adaptive Tests) so that you can have plenty of practice tests. You will NOT have enough time to go through all 8 Manhattan GMAT books with the amount of hours you have, so I would not recommend the whole set. Maybe just the sections you could use the most help in. Number properties, Word Translation, and Sentance Correction are known as 3 of the best (maybe get the scratch pad while you're at it). Do not go over the advanced portions of these books because they are for people targeting 650+. I would also recommend that you study my post on the GMAT prep tips to help maximize your studying: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html

I also recommend that you download the GMATprep software from MBA.com. This comes with two practice tests and they are known as the absolute best estimate of what to expect on test day if you took the test that day. I would recommend that you put aside 3.5 hours as soon as possible and take the first of these tests. This will give you a very accurate idea of where you stand and how much studying you need to do. I would then leave 2nd test to take approx 1 week before test day to make sure you are where you need to be.

Inbetween these two tests is up to you! Use the study plan as a way to guide you through your studying. But just remember, no score is just given away on the GMAT. If you think you're in the 400s, you def have some studying to do. I would recommend that you get your friends, family, g/f, kids, whatever, on board as soon as possible and let them know that you're taking on the GMAT beast. Get everyone on board, b/c you'd be surprised how much you need their support to spend time on the GMAT. Dive right in, and don't look back.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: New user: Question on the strategy to start [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:17
Thanks Guy!

If anyone else has any additional advice, they are very welcome to post.
Re: New user: Question on the strategy to start   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 08:17