Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 21:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Newspaper editorial:

In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the governor is getting tough on criminals and making prison conditions harsher. Part of this effort has been to deny inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses. However, this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.
B. Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general population.
C. The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released.
D. Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior than taking college-level courses does.
E. The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something effective is being done about crime.

Explain your answer please.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 23:08
(C) If those who choose to take courses are actually those who wouldn't commit crime anyway, then the fact that they do not commit many crimes after they get out is not because of the fact that they have taken the courses.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 23:16
Absoultely right HongHu.

BTW, apart from (A) and (C) all others are out of scope.

(C) is the best choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 02:58
Hong Hu,

Quick question.This is what I see from the question posed:
-->Goal:Identify the Assumption
-->Evidence:The governor is getting tough on criminals and making prison conditions harsher by denying inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses.
-->Conclusion:This action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates.
++++

In this case,how does the (c) becomes the assumption.Does it acts as a link for Governor's decision to deny inmates from college-level courses?Or does it acts as a link that critiques governor's decision of denying college-level courses?

Thank you.Rgds,
Anna

HongHu wrote:
(C) If those who choose to take courses are actually those who wouldn't commit crime anyway, then the fact that they do not commit many crimes after they get out is not because of the fact that they have taken the courses.

We can crack the exam together

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 07:35
it is A)

C) => weakens the conclusion
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 08:42
Chain of thought:

Governor wants to reduce crime.
Governor got rid of courses in prison.
Since people who took courses in prison committed less crime when they come out compare to people who didn't take courses in prison, no courses offered would mean more crime, thus leads to the opposite of what the governor wants.

Assumption is it is the courses that make them commit less crime. In other words, these people were NOT already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released, only after the courses, they became less likely to commit crimes. This is why the courses are so important.

Without the assumption, we can't establish the importancy of the courses, and thus lead to the conclusion that getting rid of courses will mean more crime.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 09:13
One more C.. honghu is right on track!!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Crime and Punishment [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 09:58
C.

Nice one, between A and C, though A is a strong assumption I think C is more appropriate to his reasoning.

Conclusion: "this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal".
Argument: "since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates."

Argument depends on C but not A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Crime and Punishment [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 10:21
OA please ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 10:25
C...same expl. as many other people.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
Edited.

Ahhhh !.. it is indeed "C"....was getting confused with "was not already less likely", already is the key word here......"A" is more like a conclusion that an assumption.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 16:31
The unofficial answer provided was A (some testtaker had solved it). There was no OA
My answer was C. Since most people agree, I think the answer is probably C.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 23:27
its just too close b/w A) and C)

C) is more detailed, like the comparision to the inmates and that is states "the group of..." instead of anyone, but i`am still double-minded :-D
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 00:12
Hmmm A does have some merits. A says not taking courses will not deter your crime, thus governor's action of taking out the courses will not lead to a reduction of the crime rate. The only thing is this has nothing to do with the last part of the argument ...
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 00:46
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 07:49
I'd like to get more discussions on A vs C on this one, if anybody has any more thoughts.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 08:08
I again want to reiterate that there is no OA for this question.
The link
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10406 points to a thread where somebody looked up the unofficial key that a test taker had come up with and claimed it as a OA.

We need a clear explanation for choosing between A and C.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2005, 19:51
Are we looking for an assumption that supports or goes against the government's plan?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 11:23
I understood that :
[b]“However, this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goalâ€
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 15:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate,   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 15:59