Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

65% (02:33) correct 35% (01:35) wrong based on 118 sessions
Newspaper editorial:
In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the governor is getting tough on criminals and making prison conditions harsher. Part of this effort has been to deny inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses. However, this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A.Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.
B.Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general population.
C.The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released.
D.Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior than taking college-level courses does.
E.
The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something effective is being done about crime.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 09:53
kirankp wrote:
Newspaper editorial:
In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the governor is getting tough on criminals and making prison conditions harsher. Part of this effort has been to deny inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses. However, this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates.

A.Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.
B.Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general population.
C.The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released.
D.Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior than taking college-level courses does.
E.
The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something effective is being done about crime.

IMO C. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 10:13
it should be A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 13:57
I don't get your logic for A. C works to me. If we hold that the courses didn't actually affect the proclivity of released felons to recommit crimes like C infers (because the better behavior wasn't due to the education, rather this good group sought out education) then the narrorator's point against the governor's plan falls apart because the governor's change will actually not encourage criminal behavior.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 18:49
First I thought it is A, but I think the OA is C.

Assumption, assumes that the people who were released and took college level courses, were not already less likely to commit crime.

Never give up,,,

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
vannbj wrote:
I don't get your logic for A. C works to me. If we hold that the courses didn't actually affect the proclivity of released felons to recommit crimes like C infers (because the better behavior wasn't due to the education, rather this good group sought out education) then the narrorator's point against the governor's plan falls apart because the governor's change will actually not encourage criminal behavior.

hi , the logic by which i replied A is that in C i think there is change in scope.....
the passage is concerned if guv's plan "to deny inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses" would be helpful however the scope is shifted in C to if these courses are helpful..... only A is the assumption closest to scope
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:50
Vote for C

"Always....Read between the lines"

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 08:14
I agree with chetan2u. My answer would be A. See my explanations below.

kirankp wrote:
Newspaper editorial:

A.Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.Had trouble with this. Seems like a lot of 'negatives'. I re-read it to say "Being able to take college level courses while in prison is likely to deter anyone from a crime he or she might otherwise have committed if he/she didn't take the courses."
B.Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general population.Out of scope because it mentions general population.
C.The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released. This answer states that all things equal, the inmates who chose to take college-level courses were just as likely to commit crimes after being released as those who do not take the courses. This says nothing about the effect of taking the college level courses.
D.Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior than taking college-level courses does. Out of scope because it mentions high school level courses.
E.The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something effective is being done about crime.Out of scope because it mentions governor's goal of gaining popularity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 15:09
Yeah. It doesn't say anything about the affect of taking college level courses but if the point of the argument that the governor's plan "is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal" because "being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates" then how does this argument not assume that "The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released"?

According to beatthegmat.com (http://www.beatthegmat.com/governor-and ... 14221.html) you guys are right and the OA is A but I don't see how C shifts the scope as to whether or not the courses were helpful. Also, since perserverance reworded A, I don't see how the argument doesn't assume them both. It's okay though. I'll take Manhattan GMAT as soon as I get my bonus and then I should have an eye to discern such differences. Thanks for your help, guys. I guess I just don't get this one. Every so often that happens.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 23:07
I think its A

whats OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 10:03
C acc to me
OA plz?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 08:41
mojorising800 wrote:
C acc to me
OA plz?

The OA is C as stated below.

vannbj wrote:
Yeah. It doesn't say anything about the affect of taking college level courses but if the point of the argument that the governor's plan "is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal" because "being released form prison, inmates who had taken such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates" then how does this argument not assume that "The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released"?

According to beatthegmat.com (http://www.beatthegmat.com/governor-and ... 14221.html) you guys are right and the OA is A but I don't see how C shifts the scope as to whether or not the courses were helpful. Also, since perserverance reworded A, I don't see how the argument doesn't assume them both. It's okay though. I'll take Manhattan GMAT as soon as I get my bonus and then I should have an eye to discern such differences. Thanks for your help, guys. I guess I just don't get this one. Every so often that happens.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 15:26
+1 for C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 16:56
what is the source ?

i feel the ans shud be C,same logic as above.

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 22:11
I found this question very interesting - there are competing OA's (A and C) doing the rounds - and IMO both of them are correct depending on what we consider the ARGUMENT to be. If the argument is based on the the governor's plan - viz banning the course would constitute a deterrent - then we need to assume that - not being able to take the course would act as a deterrent to commit crimes. Because if it does not - then people would keep committing crimes without paying heed and the governor's plan would fall apart.

On the other hand if the ARGUMENT is taken to be - the author's arugment that the governor's plan is flawed - the author of the passage bases her conclusion on the premise that - people who have taken the courses committed less crime after being released. For THIS conclusion to hold - we must necessarily assume that people were NOT ALREADY LESS LIKELY to commit the crimes anway. If they were then the usefulness of the course would be questionable and the AUTHOR'S argument falls apart.

My question is - what is the right approach in this question? I had chosen C - thinking it is the Author's conclusion whose assumption needs to be ascertained. But after hearing other people's comments about A - I am not sure what this question is really asking... Can an expert help? Testluv? Tommy? Sarai? Please!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 03:45
Its C .Its one of those sampling questions. negate C and you kill the argument. If inmates are anyway going to be peacefull outside( irrespective of the college course) governor plans works else falls apart.

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 08:26
c for me ...

P S :
On a lighter note even after 2 large on saturday evening my mind is still working
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 21:46
The following is Ron Purewal's (i.e the GOD of GMAT verbal) explanation:

nah, this should definitely be (c). you probably just have the wrong answer key.

the argument depends upon the assumption that eliminating college-level courses will have an effect on inmates' rates of recidivism ("counter to the governor's ultimate goal"). in other words, the argument is assuming that the college-level courses CAUSE differences in the inmates' behavior.

if you're going to argue that X causes Y, one necessary precondition (assumption) is that Y DOESN'T cause X.
this is precisely what is asserted in (c), which should be the correct answer.

--

not only is (a) in incorrect assumption, but (a) actually runs EXACTLY COUNTER to the argument.

if the presence/absence of college courses will NOT DETER crime, then that is essentially saying that it has no effect.
therefore, since there's no effect, this action will NOT be "counter to the governor's ultimate goal".

hence (a) is not only a wrong assumption; it actually undermines the argument!

instructor, mgmat

vannbj wrote:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Newspaper editorial [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 21:07
C

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT