Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Next Step Test Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 22:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I was wondering whether anyone has heard of this GMAT test prep company? They provide actual and virtual private tutoring for GMAT.
(nextsteptestprep.com)

Any feedback or testimonial would be appreciated. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7769 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 22:09
Expert's post
no, but I guess one question would be - what has particularly attracted you to them? price? service? location? something else?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 00:22
@bb

well, the private tutoring they offer is at a much better price than other test prep companies (about $1400 for 16 hours) and instruction is provided virtually (in addition to in person tutoring). They also have tutor bios and testimonials on their website, which are both good.

My only concern is that I haven't heard of them and wanted to know if anyone else has.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 08:41
@aceofspades

I'm with Next Step, and I thought I'd offer to answer your specific questions if you have any. As you noted, we offer a very different value proposition from other companies, and each of our online GMAT students works with a tutor who has taught the GMAT specifically for 3+ years.

I have a ton of testimonials we could send you, or even put you in touch with past students if you like.

I know you posted to get an independent opinion on our services, but if I can help in any way please let me know.

Best wishes,
John
Next Step Test Prep
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 16:36
I can testify to Next Step - don't know if I need to do this on the review page so that BB can verify me
But I was weak in quant, purchased two sets of 16 hours from Next Step, still a hefty price although much cheaper than the competitors, I had one decent tutor and two bad ones, the bad were Edward who bragged that he was an MBA and JD student and was rude and belittling to me and the other was Lisa who also filled up the session bragging about herself, her perfect GMAT score, joking, planning, telling what she could do if we had more time and not tutoring.

The first tutor was for the most part decent, but Next Step is a bargain tutoring company and for the price you get just that, at the end I received a partial refund for unused hours and they tried to charge me a late cancellation, but basically I was really disappointed and would not go back, my final quant was 25% so I need to retake. They also send you a tablet that you don't use and need to spend $10 to send back to them. My advice is to stick with the known companies.
Intern
Intern

Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 08:15
We're sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience, Policarpa. It's extremely rare that we would have a student work with more than 1 instructor. In that bunch we have a 5-year GMAT teaching vet (starting at one of the other companies before joining our team), a 9-year GMAT teaching vet, and a JD/MBA with 4+ years of test prep experience.

I know you came in having worked extensively with several of the other programs before coming to us. I'm sorry that all of us working together could not get you to where you needed to be.

But ultimately if we don't deliver a successful experience for the individual student, that's on us.

John
Next Step Test Prep
Intern
Intern

Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 09:57
I personally used Next Step Test Prep and was tutored by Lisa. I had an excellent experience using their online Skype format and saw my test score improve 150 points - from the initial diagnostic exam to the end of my 24 hours of personalized tutoring. The company has a competitive advantage because of its flexible online format, highly qualified instructors, and personalized tailored course. If you think of the GMAT like baseball, I started out not knowing the rules or strategy, and in the end, learned all the types of pitches and how to run the bases. I highly recommend using this company because it is the best value and has a quality product.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Next Step Test Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 14:39
AceofSpades wrote:
I was wondering whether anyone has heard of this GMAT test prep company? They provide actual and virtual private tutoring for GMAT.
(nextsteptestprep.com)

Any feedback or testimonial would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey I can actually offer some feedback here. I started at Kaplan, just b/c they're the biggest name and all I really knew about. Plus I'd had previous experience with Kaplan that was, on the whole, really positive so I felt great going in. I started the Kaplan class and it was *immediately* apparent that I'd totally wasted my money. As a top scorer, sitting in a classroom designed for some mythical "average" student who just wanted to go from a 500 to a 560 was a total waste. Really nobody is an "average" student - everyone's got their unique needs. So I talked to the Kaplan folks about switching to tutoring but they were... difficult... with me so I just washed my hands of it and left. It really was too bad since I otherwise think highly of them.

So I started looking around to find a place that just did tutoring and could help someone with specific needs like mine. I'm right near NYC so there's a ton of options, but also since it's NYC everything's really pricey. Next Step seemed like a good choice pricewise, so I went with them. I started with an in-person tutor in NYC, but things really weren't clicking (it wasn't as bad of an experience as what it sounds like that other person had) so when I called them to talk about it, they were really nice, really responsive.

The guy I talked to (I think his name was Rob) said they'd give me a free hour of tutoring to try out the online format. I really wasn't interested in online, but since it was free I figured why not just try it. My tutor, this guy Elliot, was phenomenal. Brilliant, funny, easy to talk to. I'm still not where I need to be, but that's just b/c I'm OCD and crazy and want an 800, but Elliot was key in helping me get from like mid 600's into the mid 700's. Just a genius guy. So anyway I did the rest of the tutoring online and have been telling my friends to go to Next Step and specifically request Elliot by name.

I guess ultimately what I would say is this: when it comes to tutoring the thing that matters is the tutor, not the company name. So whoever you look at, ask specifically about who your tutor would be and ask if you can talk to them before you pay for the tutoring. For me, that was a big issue with a lot of places - they demanded money before they would even tell me who the tutor could be.
Re: Next Step Test Prep   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2013, 14:39