Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Next Year will be even tougher!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Next Year will be even tougher! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 11:15
Based on all the information out there, I suspect that the next yr's applicants will face even tougher competition than we did...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 11:20
what information is that? just curious how you came to this conclusion. i always thought b-school admissions are most competitive during an economic downturn, when a lot of people use that time to get their MBA. is that simply not the case or has something changed recently to affect this general trend (e.g., more international applicants)?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 500
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 12:04
Could you please explain how did you arrive at such a conclusion
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 13:14
weakening US financial conditions ----> Increase in people wanting 2 years out and an increase in opportunities. Weather the storm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 13:21
why are we seeing 20~30% jump on the application # this year?
Because of the downturn of US economy? I thought we hit the highest mark in US financial industry for the past couple of years

I believe the main contributing factor is the simple supply vs demand law.
As of now, there are a lot of demands for newly minted MBAs from top schools. Not necessary a shortage on the top mbas but the more demand will lead to higher salaries for finance and other industries.

The high demand eventually leads high supply = more applicants.

This will lead those who are indifferent in getting an MBA to reconsider an MBA, hoping for a handsome ROI.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 14:18
I think a lot of demand came this year because major publications like BW and US News reported that application volumes have been down making it seem as now is the perfect time to apply to bschool (easier to get into, and economy is picking up so better pay packages compared to a few years ago)

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... _bs001.htm

because of the spike in volume this year and the associated decrease in acceptance rate, i don't think it will necessarily be tougher next year. If anything, it might scare away more potential applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 251
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 20:18
3underscore wrote:
weakening US financial conditions ----> Increase in people wanting 2 years out and an increase in opportunities. Weather the storm.

What you say makes perfect sense. When the job market is bad, it is better spending time at school than in industry. But historically, application volumes have followed the same trend as the markets. In a bad market, app volumes generally go down. People, correct me if I'm wrong.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 05:03
I think predicting the competitiveness or volume of next years applicants is like trying to guess what the stock market is going to do. You can make assumptions and come up with a guess, but at the end of the day you may end up scratching your head.

I think it was Pelihu that pointed out that the volume of people taking the GMAT has been flat this year while applications are up a possible 150%. What does this mean? Who knows.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 08:48
Next year's applicants may be up because of the sub-prime mortgage market.

http://lenderimplode.com/


I've heard of layoffs from these companies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 10:57
The GMAT volume has only been flat domestically, internationaly the volume has grown, granted not by a huge increase like the application volumes have seen.

One point is though is that not all GMAT test takers become applicants, the % that do are on the increase explaining the surges in app volume. More and more people want to get MBA's nowadays simpy because of the financial benefits as seen by post MBA salaries and bonus's (which are on the rise) and also to switch careers among other things. The fact is an MBA will give you an edge in the marketplace (at least as of right now) and more and more people are starting to take advantage of it.

The relative class make-up's also suggests that the % of international students are also on the rise, which means more competition as well as lower selectivity rates.

johnnyx9 wrote:
I think predicting the competitiveness or volume of next years applicants is like trying to guess what the stock market is going to do. You can make assumptions and come up with a guess, but at the end of the day you may end up scratching your head.

I think it was Pelihu that pointed out that the volume of people taking the GMAT has been flat this year while applications are up a possible 150%. What does this mean? Who knows.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 11:12
gmatclb wrote:
Next year's applicants may be up because of the sub-prime mortgage market.

http://lenderimplode.com/


I've heard of layoffs from these companies.


Dont even get me started. We are on the tipping point of a major economic crises.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 03:51
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
Next year's applicants may be up because of the sub-prime mortgage market.

http://lenderimplode.com/


I've heard of layoffs from these companies.


Dont even get me started. We are on the tipping point of a major economic crises.


I agree....not good - so what do you think the job market will be like when we get out? Because last time I graduated 9/11 had recently happened and there were no jobs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 06:02
OasisNYK wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
Next year's applicants may be up because of the sub-prime mortgage market.

http://lenderimplode.com/


I've heard of layoffs from these companies.


Dont even get me started. We are on the tipping point of a major economic crises.


I agree....not good - so what do you think the job market will be like when we get out? Because last time I graduated 9/11 had recently happened and there were no jobs.



that's what I call a "Prefect Storm"
Tons of newly minted MBAs with the depression/recession like job outlook.
Nevertheless, let's not worry about something we cannot control..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 06:04
OasisNYK wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
Next year's applicants may be up because of the sub-prime mortgage market.

http://lenderimplode.com/


I've heard of layoffs from these companies.


Dont even get me started. We are on the tipping point of a major economic crises.


I agree....not good - so what do you think the job market will be like when we get out? Because last time I graduated 9/11 had recently happened and there were no jobs.


It seriously depends on what happens with the real estate market. I've been growing increasingly convinced over hte last few months that there is a significant bubble and a soft landing is no longer likely. If thats true, there will be a huge ripple effect into the economy, and I would not be surprised if things wont look good.

I'm nervous about it, but I'm not going to try and time anything... its pointless.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 06:13
Oh.. by the way. Since Top 10 MBA schools didn't really increase the class size, I guess the supply won't be the factor in the job market outlook.. just the demand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2007, 01:04
MBA Admissions: Sizzling Stats
Numbers in MBA-dom are going sky high. First The Economic Times reports that MBA salaries are going through the roof, along with recruiting pressure at top MBA programs.

A few highlights from this article:

Average total compensation packages for last year: HBS - $186,174; Stanford - $183,000; Columbia - $169,194; Wharton $167, 607
Wall St. recruiting became so frenzied last year that top schools like Wharton began to limit the number of events big banks could host.
Schools are anticipating even higher compensation packages this year.
Not surprisingly, considering these salaries, GMAT registration and testing volume are also heading north, promising MBA applicants another competitive year next year. from accepted.com
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 18:21
According to Alex at the BW forum, applications this year are the highest since '01-'02, and based on inquiries into his services for next fall and activity at his website (he's an admissions consultant), next year will in fact be tougher than this year.
  [#permalink] 03 Apr 2007, 18:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic apply this year or next year? mbagirl2015 1 02 Jul 2011, 06:05
Experts publish their posts in the topic apply this year or next year? mbagirl2015 1 02 Jul 2011, 06:03
apply this year or next year? mbagirl2015 1 02 Jul 2011, 06:01
Experts publish their posts in the topic Is top 10 even within reach next year? RedRoses80 1 25 Jun 2011, 19:34
Experts publish their posts in the topic This year or Next ? zing122 1 17 May 2011, 07:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Next Year will be even tougher!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.