Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 22:34
I will be starting an MBA program in the fall and was thinking of picking up a new/nicer suit to upgrade my wardrobe for recruiting. I work in a job where I already wear a suit most days but the 4 I already have are mediocre quality suits I purchased in undergrad about 4-6 years ago. I'm looking to work in private banking/private wealth so I figure I will definitely be wearing a suit often for internship/full time. What brands would people recommend for private wealth/private banking without breaking the bank (I'm thinking 600-900 is reasonable with sales)?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 680 Q V0
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 11:50
maybe some brooks brothers suits? you can probably pick up a few at outlets on good deals if you wait it out. I'll be picking up a few from there myself.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 14:20
This may belie my plebian nature, but I love my Jos. A Banks suits.

Also, I keep seeing ads in FB for combat gent suits. I haven't been able to pull the trigger on it, because they seem too good to be true, but i've read nothing but great reviews on them and the price is only $160.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 2.47
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 11:48
Check out the online suit retailers as well. They make decent suits and as long as they fit your body and are tailored correctly should be good suits. Companies like Combatant Gentleman, Indichino, Suitly, or Black Lapel.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 6

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
I am not sure that price itself dictates quality all the time. You can see and feel the difference between a really cheap suit, and one with a better thread count, etc. but I do not think price is that indicative. Take any suit from Men's Wearhouse and hold it up against a Banana Republic suit, and although the price is relatively close (see below), you will most certainly notice the difference.

I have found that (as mentioned above) you can get incredible deals if you happen to be in the proximity of a Premium Outlets (most major metropolitan areas in the USA) or otherwise high end retailer outlet center. To further compound on savings, around holidays, there will frequently be heavy sales on everything.

An example: I just picked up a few Banana Republic suits that normally retail around $350-$400, for about $125 a pop, which was $250 outlet price, plus another 50% off. Would I consider these interview quality suits? Yes. The fabric looks professional (not that shiny or rough surface of cheaper wools) and they are fashionable yet conservative in style for an interview. Now, would I wear one to an IB interview in NY? Maybe not... but I sure as heck wouldn't wear a higher end suit to campus recruiting events either and risk damaging it or just wear and tear.

So, to the point... a few options/prices I have seen @ Premium Outlets near you:
BR - During the big holiday sales, you can snag a two-piece for under $150. Great deal and looks great. Other advantage here, sold as suit separates, so you can get an extra pair of pants if you are like me and have an affinity to them wearing out well before the jacket does.
Perry Ellis - About the same deal as BR during holidays, but I think the suit fabric looks less quality overall for their entry level lines. Nice sportcoats though.
Armani - Here is where you can snag a nice banking interview suit if you are lucky. At outlets/during sales, I have snagged a decent Armani for $500. Originally $1600 I think. Definitely can FEEL the difference.
Kenneth Cole - Around $150-$250 for their REACTION line suits in outlets/sales times. Also very professional, although a bit more of a modern fit than the above mentioned. I do, however, think their quality and longevity is a bit less than the others I have mentioned.

Where I would stay away from: Mens Wearhouse (obviously), Department Stores (way too pricey - if you find a suit you love, find the manufacturers outlet), and (sorry to the guy above) Jos A Bank. I think Jos A Bank stuff looks quite good, but I have never had a suit from there that lasted worth a crap.

Moral of the story here, I guess, is in my opinion you can get a nice looking suit for well under $500.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 08:28
Expert's post
Century 21 in NYC? I mean if you are from there or can get there (and aren't too skinny :) )

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 11:33
Expert's post
Instead of focusing on the price or the brand. I would focus on the fit of a suit. A nicely tailored suit will look miles better than any Hugo Boss or Zegna suit off the shelf. Tailors quality is highly individualized. I would research for one in your city. A good tailor will measure you, build the shell first for a 2nd fitting, make the suit, and make minor adjustments.

Diversity

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Babson '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 11

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 11:25
Indochino is DEFINITELY the best way to go. Custom made suits will run you just $450-$800 shipped, and they look great.

Here is a coupon for $50 off a purchase of $300 or more: http://share.indochino.com/x/TkLmZW
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 14:32
J. Crew Factory is a nice option for the price, make sure to get it tailored after.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Other
GPA: 3.26

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
letmeinalready wrote:
I will be starting an MBA program in the fall and was thinking of picking up a new/nicer suit to upgrade my wardrobe for recruiting. I work in a job where I already wear a suit most days but the 4 I already have are mediocre quality suits I purchased in undergrad about 4-6 years ago. I'm looking to work in private banking/private wealth so I figure I will definitely be wearing a suit often for internship/full time. What brands would people recommend for private wealth/private banking without breaking the bank (I'm thinking 600-900 is reasonable with sales)?

Within this price range I recommend checking out Suit Supply. For $550-650 you will have a stellar suit. While many of their suits are a little "loud", they do offer many conservative options, and for this price range the fit will be better than an off the rack suit at Nordstroms or Macys. Also as someone said check out J crew. I'm not a fan of their factory suits however I will vouch for their Ludlow line. The ludlow suits will run you $550-$650 not including what our tailor will charge but they have a very slim fit look. Neither of these options will have you in a puffy looking suit.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 17:41
I second SuitSupply, but I would also suggest Bonobos. Plus Bonobos was founded by Stanford MBAs!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 58

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 05:01
Buy a custom suit. I had my suit, tie, and shirt custom tailored from a local shop right after my undergrad. It wasn't cheap, but the fabric used was better than anything off the shelf, and the fit was amazing. The confidence-boosting effect, the instant respect from anyone I encountered, and the longevity of the clothes has paid for my initial expense several times over. I cannot imagine why anyone seriously considering a high-powered business career for six-figure jobs, where first impressions matter so much, would not make this relatively small investment in their future. Feel free to PM me for suggestions in the NYC area.

Also, I'm surprised to see at least a few suggestions on here for suits that aren't even 100% wool. Come on guys....... :|
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 04:23
I know a blog site which provides good information on men's dressing styles, its Mensusa Blog. They do provide tips and guidelines for suiting up styles on various ocassions. And they have their own shopping site too with huge collection and range of clothing line.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 07:33
Suit Supply is great
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 19:03
This is kind of random, but there was an awesome sale at the outlet of Saks -- Off 5th Ave -- that I went to last week. Not sure if you have one near you, but this one had all top brands and was definitely in your price range. Check it out. Also Brooks Brothers is great. If you are near NYC, you could also give Top Man a shot. It is a London based retail store that is more affordable but has some great stuff, though it is occasionally more fashionable than conservative.
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 19:03