Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nightmare scenario

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 14:59
Well, as some of you know I was retaking the test today. I came away with a dismal 630 q36 v41. I had a complete mental breakdown on the quant section. My nerves completely took over. I did everything I was supposed to leading up to the test day. I was going to sleep early in preparation for the exam, eating healthy, and exercising regularly. The night before the exam I couldn't sleep. I was just laying awake in bed wondering what was going to happen. I literally had a nervous break down. I'm not sure where to go from here but I know I have it in myself to do better. If could only get control of my anxiety I think I could do better.

My first attempt was a 620 q39 v36. I've only been studying for quant and I was feeling more confident but under pressure I just crash and burn. I really want to make this happen but I'm not even sure where to begin preparing. I worked through the OG 11 and 12 in addition to the Kaplan Math intensive book and the Kaplan course book. On the quant section I just found myself at a loss with each question that came up. I was trying to smash an answer out of each problem rather than making deductions and being savvy with calculations. It really was a nightmare. In any event, I have the summer off and I really want to make one last final attempt to put this test behind me. Just yesterday I scored a 650 on gmatprep 2 and 660 on gmatprep 1 the day before. I don't know what happened but I absolutely have to find some way to minimize the anxiety I am feeling each time I take this test. Thanks for everyone that was helping me with my prep. This is a great community.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 15:29
Seriously, 630 isn't the end of the world.

Why are you striving to do SOOOO much better? There are MBA options beyond the super slick top tier schools that can give you just as much (IF NOT MORE) opportunity in life.

I assume everyone's goal here in taking the GMAT is to a) get into a master's program so that they can b) enjoy the education and ultimately do better for themselves in life.

Wake up folks, your GMAT score has such a puny bearing on what you do in life. You shouldn't treat it as this massive gatekeeper. Yeah, your chances of getting into elite schools drops as your score does. Ever think that that's sort of a foolish basis upon which judge people for a program? It is, really, but there's no choice for the big, popular schools. Because they're big and popular, they get tons of admissions so they need to cut overhead by depersonalizing the admissions process somehow (they ain't non-profit organizations). GMAT score threshold is an effective method.

But just because it's a top tier school doesn't mean they have a top tier program. Or that their usually top tier program will be top notch when YOU take it. Or that your random batch of classmates will be all that fun or great. The same and opposite claims can be made for smaller, less known schools who aren't going to look at a sub 700 score and scratch you of their list.

I am tooting my own program's horn a bit here, indirectly. If you rolled back the clock to January 2009 and told me I could go to HBS or where I went, I would pick Dal every time because while HBS is amazing and looks incredible on paper and while I'd probably do just fine there... this program has been such a rich experience that I wouldn't want to risk getting caught up in anything else lest it be 1% less awesome than what I've been able to do here.

Dal's GMAT cutoff: 550.

I think they let a few folks in that got under that (rumours abound though). And like I said to someone in another post here, the group of 40 people in the inaugural class we have are just... ridiculously wonderful and capable and smart as HELL. How can this BE?? Because a high GMAT score is a bad predictor of how awesome or personable a person is. And in business and in real life, it always boils down to people, to who you know and how you interact with them.

So chin up, and know that there are roads that are not under the spotlights of the status quo that will lead to places that just as if not more incredible than the roads that are.

That is all!

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 15:46
Thanks for the response. The GMAT was less about getting into a top school for me than it was about working hard at something and achieving a goal. I mean I was accepted to every program I applied to with my first score but I know I'm capable of more than that. It may not make sense but I want to see the results of my hard work and not fall short because of test anxiety.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
marcusaurelius wrote:
Thanks for the response. The GMAT was less about getting into a top school for me than it was about working hard at something and achieving a goal. I mean I was accepted to every program I applied to with my first score but I know I'm capable of more than that. It may not make sense but I want to see the results of my hard work and not fall short because of test anxiety.

That's a fair pursuit!

I'd suggest you focus on smaller chunks of that goal (and ones that don't cost like $300 bucks a pop). If test anxiety is what's killing you, you might want to be trying to put yourself into testing situations that aren't as time consuming as taking a run at the GMAT. Once you've started getting the hang of the test anxiety, then go back in a few years and knock the GMAT out of the park.

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 16:48
Thanks, I have time this summer and I don't want to waste the prep that I have done up to this point. I'm thinking retake in a month and finally put this behind me. Is 20 points in a month realistic?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 17:58
I'm trying to understand the logic in your reasoning going in for the first attempt.

You only studied half the test expecting a great score? :roll:
Manager
Manager

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 19:37
Ya, I mean deadlines were a major aspect behind the timing of both my tests. I was waitlisted nearly a month ago and began preparing for my second attempt at that point. Surprisingly, I actually studied the quant section pretty thoroughly. I didn't devote very much time to verbal. As an economics major, I thought most of the quant would come through relatively easily, but as you can see from my scores, it hasn't. I feel like I need to just start with the basics.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 7

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 02:46
This post received
KUDOS
Get yourself a little break from studying, work, applying to business schools etc. Go to a country side, forget about all the worries and just enjoy simple pleasures. Don't analyze your failure. Just relax. After 2-3 weeks start studying again. But prior to that spend several days analyzing your attitude, approach to the test and your overall prep strategy.

The important thing is that you need to clear your mind and find a new perspective as far as the GMAT is concerned.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Nightmare scenario [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 08:22
Thanks, I feel like everyone taking this test is light-years ahead of me on quant.
Re: Nightmare scenario   [#permalink] 23 May 2010, 08:22