Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [9]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [2]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Nitrogen triiodide is a highly explosive chemical that is easy to make [#permalink]
What's the problem in C?
Thanks expert.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Re: Nitrogen triiodide is a highly explosive chemical that is easy to make [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The key here is to focus on that NONE are to be known to use it in an attack.

Nitrogen triiodide is a highly explosive chemical that is easy to make from only two ingredients: ammonia and concentrated iodine. However, no terrorists are known to have ever used nitrogen triiodide in an attack.

Which of the following, if true, is the most likely explanation for the discrepancy described above?

(A) Ammonia can be bought in a grocery store, but concentrated iodine must be obtained from somewhat more restricted sources, such as chemical supply houses.
(B) Nitrogen triiodide is only one of several powerful explosives that can be made from ammonia.
(C) Many terrorists have been more focused on acquiring weapons of mass destruction, such as nuclear or biological weapons, than on developing conventional chemical explosives.
(D) Airport security devices are typically calibrated to detect nitrogen compounds, such as ammonia and ammonium compounds.
(E) Nitrogen triiodide is extremely shock sensitive and can detonate as a result of even slight movement.

C says "many"--but some could still use it. E is the best option as it shows why no one would ever want to use this as a means of destruction
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
What's the problem in C?
Thanks expert.

C itself is raising a question that why are they not using the nitrogen trioxide. Hence, It doesn't explain what's the reason behind that. So, incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,
How to rule out option A?
In my 2 cents,option A is another plausible contender.The adversity to obtain concentrated iodine might deter the terrorists to produce nitrogen triiodide bomb;hence,none of them uses this particular bomb in any attack.

Option E is also a good contender.As the bomb is extremely shock sensitive,it may be too risk to carry such bomb to the detonation place.Hence,none of terrorists uses this particular bomb.

Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A is tempting, but it seems that this ingredient is still available, so it's still not clear why no one has done this. E does a much better job of explaining the situation. The resulting mixture is too unstable to be put to practical use. It's a good thing, too. I would hate to give anyone any ideas!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
A is tempting, but it seems that this ingredient is still available, so it's still not clear why no one has done this. E does a much better job of explaining the situation. The resulting mixture is too unstable to be put to practical use. It's a good thing, too. I would hate to give anyone any ideas!

I think A can clearly be the answer. If this question is indeed from MGMAT, then it is poorly written. If the second chemical is available from restricted sources, we can infer that, terrorists might be hesitant in procuring them.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos