Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No clue what is going wrong.... (Profile Eval)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

No clue what is going wrong.... (Profile Eval) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 22:34
Hello,

I am a 25 yr old from India. I work in the (no points for guessing) IT sector as a Business Analyst.(3 yrs in Jun)
I have a GMAT score of 780 (5.0). A GPA of 7.3/10.0 @ a top engineering institute, which translates to 2.3 on the GMAT scale (while I think it deserves more).

In the 2010 season, I applied to Booth and Ross in R2. Booth handed me an interview invite. I was denied admission to both.
In the 2011 season, I applied to Columbia, Haas and Kellogg in R2. Ding w/o interview at Columbia. Waiting on Haas and Kellogg - pretty late now.

The real question I want to pose to you guys is : Am I aiming too high? If so, what can I do with my profile to more align with these schools?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: No clue what is going wrong.... (Profile Eval) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 01:20
Expert's post
manishkris wrote:
Hello,

I am a 25 yr old from India. I work in the (no points for guessing) IT sector as a Business Analyst.(3 yrs in Jun)
I have a GMAT score of 780 (5.0). A GPA of 7.3/10.0 @ a top engineering institute, which translates to 2.3 on the GMAT scale (while I think it deserves more).

In the 2010 season, I applied to Booth and Ross in R2. Booth handed me an interview invite. I was denied admission to both.
In the 2011 season, I applied to Columbia, Haas and Kellogg in R2. Ding w/o interview at Columbia. Waiting on Haas and Kellogg - pretty late now.

The real question I want to pose to you guys is : Am I aiming too high? If so, what can I do with my profile to more align with these schools?

While the schools would love to accept you for that high GMAT, it just isn't enough if you cannot prove that you have interpersonal and leadership skills. You'll need to demonstrate that you can make an impact beyond your IT team. Find ways to make strategic impacts on the company and the community to prove that you are ready for the MBA.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: No clue what is going wrong.... (Profile Eval) [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 23:34
High GMAT score isn't enough to get into top B-schools, particularly for an Indian male with Engineering background.
THere are hundreds of applicants with a similar profile looking for an admit at these schools. Some thing exceptional is needed to set you apart from these tons of other applicants with a similar profile.
Your less than 3 years expereince is also a negative.
CMU, Goetza and Darden probably value high GMAT scores a lot more than many other schools.

manishkris wrote:
Hello,