Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No Full Undergrad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

No Full Undergrad [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 03:06
I don't have a full undergraduate degree (BS). However, I have completed part of a degree and received a diploma for it. My grades in Accounting/Econ/numerate subjects were good (A's mostly, very few B's). My grades in some other subjects like HR were quite dreadful.

I'm thinking of applying to business school for an MBA. I have good acquisitions experience (2-3 years Private Equity: Real Estate - US, UK & Europe). I basically do the financial and market analysis, due diligence, drafting of internal investment proposals & Private Placement Memoranda. It's the typical role of an Analyst and I've been taking up more of an associate's role recently as well, review of legal documents (JV docs), etc...

Assuming that I score well on the GMAT, what are my chances of getting into a decent (top 15) school? And what can I do to improve them? I'm not sure that it is worth it for me to go to a lesser ranked school, as a professional designation would probably add more value in that case.

I intend to continue working in the investment industry post MBA.

Last edited by Inexorable Force on 24 Nov 2005, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 14:31
I know of an older (55+) gentleman who went to Chicago GSB without an undergraduate degree. He said they didn't require an undergraduate degree at the time, so you might want to research to see if they have since changed that requirement.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 02:14
Thanks. I'll look into it.

If anyone else has any comments to make, or questions to ask please feel free to post.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 15:33
Expert's post
Hmm, it's not impossible, but most top schools do require an undergrad degree. (For executive ed. programs, it's probably more lax.)

Probably the two questions that come to my mind are: 1) Why didn't you finish? If you had a good reason, that would help with your application "story" a lot. 2) How far are you from completing a degree? Are you close enough that you could take a year's worth of night/weekend classes and get your undergrad degree? It may be worth it if you want to get into a top-10 school.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Reply to questions [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 15:49
Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:
1- I was an emotionally immature ne’er-do-well kid. Didn't do some coursework (because I had girlfriend issues & issues with my father, who was funding my education) and left university without enough credits for a BS.

2- I am very close to getting a BS. I have been in contact with my university and they are currently reviewing my situation. I am keen on getting my degree. I hope to be able to finish it within the next 6-10 months. I have no doubt that I will score well in the remaining subjects (A - B at the least) as I have performed well in a few professional exams since graduating.

I have matured greatly in the past couple of years. I am confident that I am able to perform at the MBA level. Many of my peers & superiors at work graduated from good schools (Wharton, Amherst, etc...). They have been my benchmark for the past few years.

The strongest part of my application will probably be my work experience (my current work seems to be the goal of some MBA students) and recommendations. My academic past and personal essays are the areas that I am working on right now.

(Apologies for the long post - I would appreciate your comments)
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 18:43
Expert's post
You don't need to convince me that you're more mature now... Spend your energy convincing adcomms!

Seriously, focus on getting your degree, then think about your MBA, maybe a year or two from now. No point in ptting the cart before the horse.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 05:03
Thanks Scott. You make a valid point.

My intention was to apply for the 2007/08 academic year. By then I will have completed my degree together with some related professional exams and have had some more work experience (hopefully I'll make associate by my next performance review in a couple of months).

It seems that most of the people in my industry did extremely well at the undergraduate level, worked for a couple of years as analysts, then attended a top 10 business school for their MBA before returning as associates.

My path is a bit unconventional. I was starting to think that it would be impossible to get into a good school having bungled my initial undergraduate studies.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 06:53
Expert's post
No, not imporssible. But you need to SHOW adcomms how you've matured, what you're achieved since then, etc., rather than just telling them.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 26 Nov 2005, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show it - Prove it [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 08:30
Is this reasonable this for a summary of achievements (I would elaborate on these points):

- Enrolled in University to complete degree while working (A-B grades). [Overcoming past failures]
- Worked on over a $1 billion of real estate acquisitions in the US, UK & Europe. Was responsible for investment analysis (including DCF Modeling involving complex financial structures), preparing investment proposals to the executive and investment committees and due diligence.
- Worked on acquisitions in the Hotel, Office and Retail sectors.
- Wrote PPM's & made presentations for the firm's investments.
- Liaised closely with joint venture partners and property managers internationally in relation to current investments.
- Responsible for reviewing the annual budgets for the properties and making recommendations to the real estate team.
- Raised $X million from high net worth investors for acquisitions. [This is an additional achievement - not part of my job. I might be able to close an institutional investor during this year as well]
- Raised $XX k for orphans education fund. [I'm currently working on this]
- Memberships: ULI (Urban Land Institute).
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 15:30
Expert's post
These are pretty good. Remember that "I did this specific thing and achieved that" is more powerful than simply "I worked on this." Show what you specifically accomplished. We talk about this a lot in our book.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 27 Nov 2005, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Your book [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 01:32
Thanks Scott. I think that I'll get myself a copy.