Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 08:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (02:51) correct 38% (02:18) wrong based on 19 sessions
12. No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of the truth of a theorem. In 1976, however, this was not the case. Some mathematicians at that time refused to accept the results of a complex computer demonstration of a very simple mapping theorem. Although some mathematicians still hold a strong belief that a simple theorem ought to have a short, simple proof, in fact, some simple theorems have required enormous proofs.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Today, some mathematicians who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would consider accepting the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem.

(B) Some individuals who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof are not mathematicians.

(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

(D) Some individuals who do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would not be willing to accept the results of an enormous computation as proof of a complex theorem.

(E) Some nonmathematicians do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 11:06
tough one....i would say A.....
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 13:24
Brainless wrote:
A

Real tough one.

Guy/Brain

you are right

Can you explain please
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: CR - Mathematicians [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 13:59
It's A. If you look at the first sentence, it says that "No mathematician today would flatly refuse...an enormous computation as a...demonstration of the truth of a theorem."

What this means is that even those who believe simple thms should have simple proofs will consider complex computations. If answer A was false (that there are some mathematicians who would not consider complex comps as thm proofs), the first sentence of the problem would not be true.

praetorian123 wrote:
12. No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of the truth of a theorem. In 1976, however, this was not the case. Some mathematicians at that time refused to accept the results of a complex computer demonstration of a very simple mapping theorem. Although some mathematicians still hold a strong belief that a simple theorem ought to have a short, simple proof, in fact, some simple theorems have required enormous proofs.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Today, some mathematicians who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would consider accepting the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem.

(B) Some individuals who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof are not mathematicians.

(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

(D) Some individuals who do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would not be willing to accept the results of an enormous computation as proof of a complex theorem.

(E) Some nonmathematicians do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2003, 14:58
jlyngal is correct...the first sentence is the crucial detail...
No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of the truth of a theorem.

this basically says that b/c "no mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept" there are AT LEAST SOME mathematicians that would CONSIDER accepting.....

look at it this way, if they are not FLATLY refusing the data...then they must be AT LEAST CONSIDERING IT....
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 06:05
Praetorian wrote:

A. as it mentions the same conclusion...
B. it talks of some individuals...not mathematicians
C. it again talks of some individuals...not mathematicians
D. it again talks of some individuals...not mathematicians
E. it is comparing mathematicians vs non-mathematicians..hence out of scope

so A is the answer

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Re: No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 06:05