Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 21:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (02:36) correct 39% (02:14) wrong based on 72 sessions
No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of the truth of a theorem. In 1976, however, this was not the case. Some mathematicians at that time refused to accept the results of a complex computer demonstration of a very simple mapping theorem. Although some mathematicians still hold a strong belief that a simple theorem ought to have a short, simple proof, in fact, some simple theorems have required enormous proofs.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Today, some mathematicians who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would consider accepting the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem.

(B) Some individuals who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof are not mathematicians.

(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

(D) Some individuals who do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would not be willing to accept the results of an enormous computation as proof of a complex theorem.

(E) Some nonmathematicians do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

I picked A as it was the closest to the argument.
I want to confirm another thing. The reason why I negated other answers was that in B,C and D individuals in mentioned though we are talking of "mathematicians" here. Is my reasoning correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
rohitgoel15 wrote:
I want to confirm another thing. The reason why I negated other answers was that in B,C and D individuals in mentioned though we are talking of "mathematicians" here. Is my reasoning correct?

with these questions most of the time it is difficult to come up with answers in our own words. this is why POE is the key to working inference questions and avoid answer choices that contains words that the broader or more extreme. The word mathematician limits the scope of the premise as opposed to actual no of individuals

consider cudos if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 1

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
ans is A...
b,c,d are out as it used "individual"..bt in argument talks abt mathematician..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 22:20
Whatever reasoning the other answers have, A must be true.
I didn't proceed when I'd done A
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 07:49
a mathematician can also be labeled as an individual so I don't think we can eliminate b, c and d simply because they use the term individuals. The more imp point is that they can be eliminated because B and C for instance may or may not be true. D is completely false because those who DONT believe that simple theorems SHOULD NOT HAVE SIMPLE PROOFS have not been talked about at all in the passage
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 09:13
I believe this is the fastest way. The hard way is POE. I believe you got the result in less than 60 secs. :-D

Using POE I can easily eliminate B, D and E. C is difficult to eliminate if you don't focus on key words "No mathematician".

Premise : No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation
(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation ----- the first part contradicts the premise. C does NOT sound plausible now. OUT

A it is.

rohitgoel15 wrote:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 10:17
Good Question..

I narrowed it to A and C.
C can be eliminated as it may or may not be true..but A will be always true..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 10:54
I narrowed to A and C. But did not pay attention to "No mathematician" and picked C....:(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 12:08
I go with A,
so this is a "Must be True" questions and only A qualifies that
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 21:16
I picked E ..........posting.php?mode=reply&f=139&t=97935#

suddenly saw A in the bottom so got myself biased .............

By the way what is POE ? any technique ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 09:37
a
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:47
Good question this....Narrowed down to A and C and chose A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 08:20
AAAAAA
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 10:03
Only A uses the word mathematicians so it is clearly the only choice.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 00:54
smartmundu wrote:
I go with A,

Can someone clearly explain why E is incorrect? :?

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 13:45
rohitgoel15 wrote:
No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of the truth of a theorem. In 1976, however, this was not the case. Some mathematicians at that time refused to accept the results of a complex computer demonstration of a very simple mapping theorem. Although some mathematicians still hold a strong belief that a simple theorem ought to have a short, simple proof, in fact, some simple theorems have required enormous proofs.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Today, some mathematicians who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would consider accepting the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem.

(B) Some individuals who believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof are not mathematicians.

(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

(D) Some individuals who do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would not be willing to accept the results of an enormous computation as proof of a complex theorem.

(E) Some nonmathematicians do not believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.

definitely correct explanation. All the choices other than A talk about individuals/non-mathematicians.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 23:26
The answer is A.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 09:36
1) no mathm today would refuse to accept results of enormous computation as an adequate demonstration of truth of theorem.
2) (1) was not the case in 1976.
3) in 1976 some mathms refused to accept results of very simple mapping theorem.
4) Although some mathems still belif simple theorem should have simple proof, but this is not the case.

Based on (4) and (1) we can divide mathematicians into two groups:
i) mathematicians who "would consider accepting results of computer" and believe "a simple theorem should have a simple proof"
ii) mathematicians who "would consider accepting results of computer" and do not believe "a simple theorem should have a simple proof"

A) Says basically that "Today, some mathematicians fall into category i)" This is the correct answer because it MUST logically follow from the passage
B) Does not HAVE to be true. It might be true, it might not. The passage doesn't indicate either way.
C) Since all mathms today would consider accepting the results of a computer, this answer choice is referring to nonmathematicians. We don't know anything about what non mathematicians believe.
D) Similar to (C), anyone not willing to accept the results of a computer must not be mathematicians, and we don't know anything about what they believe.
E) Same as C and D. We don't know anything about what they believe.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 09:38
yossarian84 wrote:
smartmundu wrote:
I go with A,

Can someone clearly explain why E is incorrect? :?

Sure, the passage never gives any information about what non-mathematicians believe. Therefore E may be true, or it may not, but we have no information either way.

Also, I wanted to clarify something.
A good number of posters above eliminated answer choices because they used the term 'individual' instead of mathematicians.

This alone isn't a legitimate reason to eliminate an answer choice.

The passage actually gives us a great deal of information that MUST be true regarding individuals.
1) In present day, some individuals would not refuse to accept the results of a computer process.
2) In 1976, some individuals would.
3) Some individuals believe a simple theorem should have a simple proof.
4) Some individuals do not believe a simple theorem should have a simple proof.
These 4 statements (and possibly others) all MUST be true based on the statements of the passage.

The thing that disqualifies the other answer choices, is that they're using the term "individuals" but the answer choice actually limits it further to "non-mathematicians".

For example, the answer choice:
"(C) Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof."
Is wrong not because it uses the term "individuals" but because it's making a claim about "non-mathematicians", which we know nothing about.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: No mathematician today [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 11:24
i think A is the answer by POE , but it took me 2 mins 30 sec + . so is there any shorter procedure to reduce the time consumed in such CR questions ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: No mathematician today   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 11:24