Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 20:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:17) correct 26% (00:41) wrong based on 107 sessions
No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a common tongue. For proof, we need only consider Canada, which is being torn asunder by conflicts between French-speaking Quebec and the other provinces, which are dominated by English speakers.
Which of the following, if true, most effectively challenges the author’s conclusion?
(A) Conflicts over language have led to violent clashes between the Basque-speaking minority in Spain and the Spanish-speaking majority.
(B) Proposals to declare English the official language of the United States have met with resistance from members of Hispanic and other minority groups.
(C) Economic and political differences, along with linguistic ones, have contributed to the provincial conflicts in Canada.
(D) The public of India, in existence sine 1948, has a population that speaks hundreds of different, though related, languages.
(E) Switzerland has survived for nearly a thousand years as a home for speakers of three different languages.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 20:37
is it c?
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 251 [2] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
reply2spg wrote:
No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a common tongue. For proof, we need only consider Canada, which is being torn asunder by conflicts between French-speaking Quebec and the other provinces, which are dominated by English speakers.
Which of the following, if true, most effectively challenges the author’s conclusion?
(A) Conflicts over language have led to violent clashes between the Basque-speaking minority in Spain and the Spanish-speaking majority.
(B) Proposals to declare English the official language of the United States have met with resistance from members of Hispanic and other minority groups.
(C) Economic and political differences, along with linguistic ones, have contributed to the provincial conflicts in Canada.
(D) The public of India, in existence sine 1948, has a population that speaks hundreds of different, though related, languages.
(E) Switzerland has survived for nearly a thousand years as a home for speakers of three different languages.

Focus on how the claim is made. The claim is generalized by basing on a specific case. If you show that there is another one that contradics the claim, you successfully damage the argument.

E is the best

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
what;s OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 01:07
A,B and C are out bcos these support the author's conclusion. now b/w D and E, E is better bcos in d, though there is a mention of different languages but the usage of 'though related' somewht dilutes the situation. also in E, the usage of 'has survived' makes it look better over D.
Hence my choice is E
reply2spg wrote:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 16:09
"E" for me. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 01:16
Torn between D n E but would go with E as D states similarity of some sorts amongst the languages
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 02:32
IMO E, directly weakens the conclusion by giving a counter example...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 05:11
i will go for" E", reply2spg pls post OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 08:04
The best option to choose is [E].. OA pls..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 12:51
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
E for me.......

D states that "The public of India, in existence sine 1948, has a population that speaks hundreds of different, though related, languages"--since the argument already mentions that no nation can long survive unless its people are united by a common language.

So D in other way strengthens the arguments since the languages are relates despite being different.

E is the best answer which weakens the argument.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 11:12
Its definitely E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 12:31
I will go with E since it directly counters the argument.

Regards,
Thanigs

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 09:43
The answer for this IMO is E.

Although Choice D is a contender, E wins because the presence of phrase “though related languages” in the choice D makes E a stronger contender
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
reply2spg wrote:
No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a common tongue.

This is the argument of the passage. The remainder of the passage serves as the author's premise. Option E directly challenges the author's assertion.

It has been over a year, yet the OA has not been posted. :(

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 169

Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 03:39
The OA is E.

Google it: http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... ity-2.html

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Nation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 19:18
fall2009 wrote:
E too.

Even my answer is E...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 06:48
I was caught between D and E but choose D!! My reasoning with E is that it stresses that the country is home to three different languages. It does not stress on the relationship among different language speaking population. It may be that the people speak in their dialect within their own groups only. A person may know two languages - one for communication with outer world and another for inter-community/ home communication. There will be one official language yet multiple regional languages.
I am taking the context from an Indian perspective, and inclined towards D. Can you highlight the error in my reasoning.
Appreciate comments from fellow users.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 09:29
+1 E

A, B, and C are opposite.
D is tempting, but the argument refers to long periods of time.
E is the answer.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Re: No nation can long survive unless its people are united by a   [#permalink] 25 May 2012, 09:29