Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No one in the French department to which Professor Alban

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
No one in the French department to which Professor Alban [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 19:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
No one in the French department to which Professor Alban belongs is allowed to teach more than one introductory level class in any one term. Moreover, the only language classes being taught next term are advanced ones. So it is untrue that both of the French classes Professor Alban will be teaching next term will be introductory level classes.

The pattern of reasoning displayed in the argument above is most closely paralleled by that in which one of the following arguments?

A. The Morrison Building will be fully occupied by May and since if a building is occupied by May the new tax rates apply to it, the Morrison building will be taxed according to the new rates.

B. The revised tax code does not apply at all to buildings built before 1900, and only the first section of the revised code applies to buildings built between 1900 and 1920, so the revised code does not apply to the Norton Building , since it was built in 1873.

C. All property on Overon Road will be reassessed for tax purposes by the end of the year and the Elnor Company headquarters is on Overton Road, so Elnor's property taxes will be higher next year.

D. New buildings that include public space are exempt from city taxes for two years and all new buildings in the city's Alton district are exempt for 5 years, so the building with the large public space that was recently completed in Alton will not be subject to city taxes next year.

E. Since according to recent statute, a building that is exempt from property taxes is charged for city water at a special rate, and hospitals are exempt from property taxes, Founder's Hospital will be charged for city water at the special rate.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 19:55
My choice: A

Structure: fact 1 followed by fact 2 followed by conclusion and fact 2 builds on fact 1

Only A and E follow this structure but in E fact 2 does not build on fact 1. Hence I go for A.

Confusing one ...

Try and try until you succeed! There is just no giving up!

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 21:12
I go for D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 22:24
C looks most llel.

Bet this is a LSAT CR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 22:32
I am up for (B).The second premise is not needed to arrive at the conclusion.

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 22:44
Now 4 of us got 4 answers. :D

sangarelli, I find the first one is not needed for reasoning.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 23:27
sangarelli wrote:

But the second premise is needed. The first premise refers to term one. The second premise says that the next term has only advanced classes. Without this information, it cannot be concluded that both of the prof's classes cannot be introductory in the "next term".

hmmm on second thoughts .. think i might go for D.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 23:30
Going for D.

Last edited by Juaz on 04 Oct 2006, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 23:31
sangarelli wrote:

Well I am one of the minorties here that thinks it's B. B categorizes buildings before and after 1900, just as the same as categorizing French from intro to advanced level. The conclusion of "the revised code does not apply to the Norton Building , since it was built in 1873." parallels the conclusion that both of the French classes Professor Alban will be teaching next term will not be introductory level classes.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 23:34
sangarelli wrote:

One more for B.
Second choice - D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 23:39
Ooh Now 3 of us got B
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR French class ( parallel reasoning type) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 01:51
laxieqv wrote:
No one in the French department to which Professor Alban belongs is allowed to teach more than one introductory level class in any one term. Moreover, the only language classes being taught next term are advanced ones. So it is untrue that both of the French classes Professor Alban will be teaching next term will be introductory level classes.

The pattern of reasoning displayed in the argument above is most closely paralleled by that in which one of the following arguments?

A. The Morrison Building will be fully occupied by May and since if a building is occupied by May the new tax rates apply to it, the Morrison building will be taxed according to the new rates.

B. The revised tax code does not apply at all to buildings built before 1900, and only the first section of the revised code applies to buildings built between 1900 and 1920, so the revised code does not apply to the Norton Building , since it was built in 1873.

C. All property on Overon Road will be reassessed for tax purposes by the end of the year and the Elnor Company headquarters is on Overton Road, so Elnor's property taxes will be higher next year.

D. New buildings that include public space are exempt from city taxes for two years and all new buildings in the city's Alton district are exempt for 5 years, so the building with the large public space that was recently completed in Alton will not be subject to city taxes next year.

E. Since according to recent statute, a building that is exempt from property taxes is charged for city water at a special rate, and hospitals are exempt from property taxes, Founder's Hospital will be charged for city water at the special rate.

How about seeing this problem as Data sufficiency problem?

Statement 1. No one in the French department to which Professor Alban belongs is allowed to teach more than one introductory level class in any one term.

Statement 2. Moreover, the only language classes being taught next term are advanced ones.

Conclusion: It is untrue that both of the French classes Professor Alban will be teaching next term will be introductory level classes.

going by DS rules, we can come to the conclusion by using either of the statements.

Now I will consider Option D.

Statement 1: New buildings that include public space are exempt from city taxes for two years

Statement 2: All new buildings in the city's Alton district are exempt for 5 years

Conclusion: So the building with the large public space that was recently completed in Alton will not be subject to city taxes next year

going by DS rules, we can come to the conclusion by using either of the statements.

So D is my answer.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:23
I'm with D.
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:33
I'll jump in and add to the chaos by choosing (E). :-D D seems too vague by it's use of the word recently.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:45
GMATT73 wrote:
I'll jump in and add to the chaos by choosing (E). :-D D seems too vague by it's use of the word recently.

building that is completed recently is a new buiding.. :btw

Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:52
ak_idc wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

building that is completed recently is a new buiding.. :btw

:wink:

I despise these kinds of CRs. Mindbending LSAT logic that just loves to chew up the clock. :evil:
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:55
I agree..

Laxie, please keep posting similar questions :wink:

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:58
ak_idc wrote:
I agree..

Laxie, please keep posting similar questions :wink:

Sure :) ...have to admit that this type of question is freakingly tough :!: ..anyways, if you see it during test day, please be happy that you're performing well :)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR French class ( parallel reasoning type) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 09:44
ak_idc wrote:
laxieqv wrote:

How about seeing this problem as Data sufficiency problem?

Statement 1. No one in the French department to which Professor Alban belongs is allowed to teach more than one introductory level class in any one term.

Statement 2. Moreover, the only language classes being taught next term are advanced ones.

Conclusion: It is untrue that both of the French classes Professor Alban will be teaching next term will be introductory level classes.

Now I will consider Option D.

Statement 1: New buildings that include public space are exempt from city taxes for two years

Statement 2: All new buildings in the city's Alton district are exempt for 5 years

Conclusion: So the building with the large public space that was recently completed in Alton will not be subject to city taxes next year

So D is my answer.

Such an exemplary explanation! :-D ...D is indeed the OA :wink:
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 10:38
woohoo ... go D!

Thanks Laxieqv! Pls continue posting similar questions .. really helps improve on timing and accuracy :-D

btw whats the source?

[#permalink] 05 Oct 2006, 10:38