Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 23:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:31) correct 55% (01:19) wrong based on 49 sessions
No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the traditional tribal structure to be a tragedy. When tribal traditions dominated the culture of Country X, the economy was extremely depressed. However, since the loss of the tribal tradition, Country X has experienced the fastest growth of any economy on the continent. Per capita income has increased more than twentyfold, the trade deficit has become a trade surplus, and the unemployment rate is at an all-time low.

Which of the following questions, if answered, would be most helpful in evaluating the validity of the argument above?
(A) How long did tribal structures in Country X exist before they were lost?
(B) Is the tribal structure the only part of traditional culture that Country X has lost?
(C) Are there any other countries with similar tribal structures that have also experienced recent economic growth?
(D) What percentage of residents in Country X considers the loss of traditional tribal structures to be a tragedy?
(E) Are there any sectors other than high technology that have experienced an increase in jobs?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Last edited by garimavyas on 14 May 2011, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: another one with supreme stupidity [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 05:18
garimavyas wrote:
i dont understand how these fools craft these questions , and whatever absurdity they stuff in the name of reasoning

No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the traditional tribal structure to be a tragedy. When tribal traditions dominated the culture of Country X, the economy was extremely depressed. However, since the loss of the tribal tradition, Country X has experienced the fastest growth of any economy on the continent. Per capita income has increased more than twentyfold, the trade deficit has become a trade surplus, and the unemployment rate is at an all-time low.

paraphrase: Is it just the tribal structure,the loss of which has resulted in Economic Revival ?

Which of the following questions, if answered, would be most helpful in evaluating the validity of the argument above?
(A) How long did tribal structures in Country X exist before they were lost?
(B) Is the tribal structure the only part of traditional culture that Country X has lost? -- Using Variance test. Yes- supports the argument. No - brings an element of surprise that there might be some other thing that has factored in bringing the change. Clean OA.
(C) Are there any other countries with similar tribal structures that have also experienced recent economic growth?
(D) What percentage of residents in Country X considers the loss of traditional tribal structures to be a tragedy?
(E) Are there any sectors other than high technology that have experienced an increase in jobs?

PS: Please refrain from passing judgement over the question shared.We are here for collective understanding and fruitful discussions. People from the particular organization might take into notice activities like this,leading to unintended problem for the forum. We are sure you don't intend such thing. Its a simple request, though.

Thank you beforehand.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 3

Re: another one with supreme stupidity [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 06:44
amit2k9 wrote:
PS: Please refrain from passing judgement over the question shared.We are here for collective understanding and fruitful discussions. People from the particular organization might take into notice activities like this,leading to unintended problem for the forum. We are sure you don't intend such thing. Its a simple request, though.

Considering that people pay quite a lot of money for GMAT practice material, I think it's perfectly appropriate to hold that material to a high standard, and to point out flawed questions so test takers know which resources are worthwhile and which are suspect. I don't see any reason to be concerned about offending the author of the material.

That said, I don't understand what in particular has prompted this string of threads all with inflammatory titles about the 'stupidity' of these questions. If you think the questions are 'stupid' you could at least explain why. I don't particularly like the questions posted either, but at least in the case of the question above, there are no logical issues with the question or OA; the question is simply testing the 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy (if Y happens after X does, it is not necessarily true that X caused Y to happen), so we're looking for an answer choice which discusses potential alternate causes. What I don't like about the question is its setup, which doesn't make much sense to me; I don't see how a country could lose its 'tribal tradition' (whatever that means) from one day to the next.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: another one [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 08:41
yes i too dont like the absurdity of the situation used. anything goes in the name of setting up a question.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
New Gmat club project
Click here

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Last edited by dentobizz on 22 Nov 2013, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
adding article links
Re: No resident of Country X should consider the loss of the   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 11:00