Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No ! What ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

No ! What ? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 07:50
Shocking defeat is what i'd term it !

I don't consider myself 800 league but I never thought I was 610 either (Q48 V27). Ridiculously shameful performance on the verbal section. The GMAT test centre had the worst keyboards and I felt quite uncomfortable. Neverthless managed to scribble some AWA rant. Took a break to get a little breather and later found out I was 30 seconds over my scheduled time. Started under stress and carried on to complete the quant within time following straight on to verbal. Thinking I had performed badly on quant, I perhaps found myself a little lost while going through verbal. I wouldn't say verbal was difficult but perhaps my score tells me why the subsequent questions i got appeared easier. I don't know where I went wrong and what went wrong but I am truly disappointed as I had hoped for around 700 and perhaps a good performance on verbal would have got me there.

I am not sure how I could dissect this unexpected drop in performance as we have no way to figure out the underlying deficiencies. I am not a scholar but I certainly am not V27 level either, not usually anyway.

The deadlines for most schools are coming up shortly and I am in a dilemma how to best approach this situation. I had hoped for a good score to mask my dismissal GPA. I do have work experience to support my claim although everybody gunning for an MBA does so I am just disappointed with myself.

Could someone be a lamp to me and help me dig a way out of this all to make it before the deadlines?

Do schools (10th -30th ranked) consider AWA (which I hope went well) as a cover for low verbal? Do they consider conditional admissions or perhaps allow a chance to improve on GMAT post-admission? (although I guess the later consideration is a no-brainer anyway).

All guidance is much appreciated !
Thanks guys
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: No ! What ? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 17:57
Expert's post
It's late in the game, R3 deadlines are coming up so you might not have enough time to retake your GMAT. Though it's possible that if you do get on the waitlist, admissions officers might ask whether you can get a higher score on the GMAT so they can take you off the waitlist. If there is good chance you think you'll make the waiting list, you can go ahead and schedule a time for a retake and see if you can get an improved score to them before they fill the entire class. This is also tougher since you're applying during R3 - retaking the exam would have been easier during R1 and R2 since the class has not been filled after those rounds. But, it's something you can try.

Here's a link to a businessweek message board about some waitlisted students: http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=87873

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1149

Kudos [?]: 5346 [0], given: 165

Re: No ! What ? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 20:47
Expert's post
mist3rh wrote:
Shocking defeat is what i'd term it !

I don't consider myself 800 league but I never thought I was 610 either (Q48 V27). Ridiculously shameful performance on the verbal section. The GMAT test centre had the worst keyboards and I felt quite uncomfortable. Neverthless managed to scribble some AWA rant. Took a break to get a little breather and later found out I was 30 seconds over my scheduled time. Started under stress and carried on to complete the quant within time following straight on to verbal. Thinking I had performed badly on quant, I perhaps found myself a little lost while going through verbal. I wouldn't say verbal was difficult but perhaps my score tells me why the subsequent questions i got appeared easier. I don't know where I went wrong and what went wrong but I am truly disappointed as I had hoped for around 700 and perhaps a good performance on verbal would have got me there.

I am not sure how I could dissect this unexpected drop in performance as we have no way to figure out the underlying deficiencies. I am not a scholar but I certainly am not V27 level either, not usually anyway.

The deadlines for most schools are coming up shortly and I am in a dilemma how to best approach this situation. I had hoped for a good score to mask my dismissal GPA. I do have work experience to support my claim although everybody gunning for an MBA does so I am just disappointed with myself.

Could someone be a lamp to me and help me dig a way out of this all to make it before the deadlines?

Do schools (10th -30th ranked) consider AWA (which I hope went well) as a cover for low verbal? Do they consider conditional admissions or perhaps allow a chance to improve on GMAT post-admission? (although I guess the later consideration is a no-brainer anyway).

All guidance is much appreciated !
Thanks guys

From your post, it doesn't look like you are a V27. But the point is, did you take GMAT prep test before taking the actual GMAT to figure out where you stand? Was your score in those tests much better than 27? Are you very comfortable with the format of the Verbal section? It is not essential that people comfortable with English language will do well on the Verbal section. You have to develop CR, RC and SC skills.

Also, you may want to consider applying next year instead. This late in round 3 with a not so terrific score will make it very difficult to convince the adcom. Also, there has to be a very convincing reason why you didn't plan ahead if you wanted to do MBA. Why did you leave your application till the last minute; why did you leave taking the GMAT till the last minute etc. MBA admissions is a very grueling process, not something people undertake at a whim at the last minute. A better case could be made for you next year round 1 after you take your GMAT and get the 700 you are aiming for. Next year, you will come across as well prepared. So until and unless you have a very valid reason for applying in round 3 (say, you were deployed by the military till Feb and got released in March etc) and can write excellent write ups in your application, reconsider your decision to apply in R3.

I think we can give more pointed advice only after we know your specific situation better.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: No ! What ? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 21:06
Thank you GmatPill & Karishma ! I do realize that I am lagging behind in the application process and this blot is not helpful in any way.

Joining an MBA has been a plan for long, I just did not realize how much of an early starter one needs to be with the application process (deadlines beginning in October almost a year prior to the semester is somewhat surprising).

I did not take any GMATPrep mock tests instead I worked pretty much through the print material (major books known -kaplan, OG, manhattan etc). I had about 14 minutes left on my Verbal when I finished it so I may have simply burnt myself out with anxiety. I don't really know.

I went on to tackle verbal based primarily on my conversational and general reading skills and did not quite pick on the 'rules' as much. Ofcourse I adopted general strategies as skimming and understanding what was being asked for.

Anyway -I was wondering if someone could indicate whether there was a way to counter this low with the exception of a re-take (I obviously can't retake within 31 days and that'd be 25th April for me now).

1.) Taking an IELTS/TOEFL?
2.) Asking the adcom for a personal interview if they doubt my abilities after assessing my essays etc
3.) My prior educational experience (despite a low GPA) in a native speaking environment etc.
4.) Taking a GRE, although I took the mock GRE powerprep and scored somewhat similar in the verbal.

I am not targeting the Ivy League but anything reasonable up to top 30.

I'd really appreciate your continued input
Re: No ! What ?   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2012, 21:06