Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 05:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:03) correct 34% (01:23) wrong based on 143 sessions
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand

A) and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
B) and the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
C) and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
D) or the sublanguages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
E) or the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

I selected correct answer choice A. But my doubt is if one of the answer choice was:

and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who tried to count found

would this be correct in the context of the question? I feel am overlooking a very simple concept but just not able to get my head around this. Any help is much appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by dentobizz on 09 Oct 2013, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
edited the Title
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 510

Kudos [?]: 2102 [0], given: 30

Re: OG 13 Q 93- Got the correct answer but still have a doubt [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 14:13
Expert's post
sunainaluthra wrote:
I selected correct answer choice A. But my doubt is if one of the answer choice was:

and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who tried to count found

would this be correct in the context of the question? I feel am overlooking a very simple concept but just not able to get my head around this. Any help is much appreciated.

Dear sunainaluthra,
That's a great question, and I am happy to help. :-)
In the phrase "those who tried to count typically found ...", those verbs are in the simple past tense. This contains the subtle implication that these efforts took place in the past, but no one is even trying to answer this question any more. It's a done deal. In other words, academically, it's a dead question, no longer pursued in any way.

In the phrase those "who have tried to count typically have found ... ", those verb are in the present perfect tense. See this blog article on the perfect tenses:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/
This has the subtle implication that the effort to count was started in the past but still, somehow, is under way --- that folks today are still, in some way, wrestling with this question. Academically, it's a living question.

Within the context of the question, we don't have much way to decide between these two, other than what's in the underlined section. If (A) contained the present perfect tenses but were incorrect for some unrelated reason, so that we had to look for another answer, then I would say that a choice with the simple past would change the meaning too much to be a correct answer, but the GMAT is not going to have a subtle connotation such as this as the only deciding factor separating answer choices. If the prompt and the answers consistent made one of these two choices, either one would be grammatically correct.

I imagine, since the OG opted for the present perfect, that the question is still an open, living, debated question in academia today. The GMAT SC sentences usually reflect real-world facts. Of course, there would be absolutely no way you would be expected to know this real-world fact independently.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3499 [0], given: 184

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 07:03
Expert's post
Hi Sunaina,

Thanks for posting your query here, as we suggested. :-) Thanks also to Mike for the very comprehensive explanation.

Sunaina, please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 67

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 13:35
My Approach - difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub languages or dialects within it.
Use of It is correct, that eliminates B, D, E.
Between A and C, the use of have tried to count typically have found is better than
tried counting it typically find
C is changing the tense in this part and is incorrect.
Hence A is correct
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 21:17
cs2209 wrote:
C is changing the tense in this part and is incorrect.
Hence A is correct

Yes, and there is another substantial issue with C. It says:

...but those who have tried counting it typically find...

No instance of the infamous it should never go unnoticed. What does it refer to here? Well perhaps one of the following two entities:

a) Languages (plural): If the intent of it is to refer to languages, then the usage of it is incorrect, since it (a singular pronoun) cannot refer to languages (a plural noun). So, the least that should have been present in the sentence is them and not it.

Or

b) Number of languages (singular): If the intent of it is to refer to number of languages, then the usage of is again incorrect, since the phrase number of languages is not present anywhere in the sentence. Note that pronouns can only refer to nouns that are present in the sentence; number of languages is not present.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses this concept of pronouns, its application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the wor   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 21:17