Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-accounting major! Please help!! really...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Non-accounting major! Please help!! really... [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 15:32
Hey guys,
I really need some advice and information. I am an English major from Umich with a 3.46 gpa. I want to do accounting and work for the big 4, but I am confused about which route to take. Since i have no accounting background/classes, I am going to take classes to even get into any Masters of Accounting program. However, I read that non-acc. majors just go the MBA-accounting route at some low tier school because they can get an MBA instead of an MAcc. What do you think about that?

Also, assuming I take the Masters of accounting (MAcc) route, does it really matter where I take the pre-reqs and where I go for the MAcc? I am looking into a city college (Baruch CUNY) for the pre-reqs since it is cheap, and possibly the MAcc at Baruch also for the same reason.

I want to do this as soon as possible, so if anyone can help, thank you so much.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Non-accounting major! Please help!! really... [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 20:32
Worked at one of the Big 4 firms in NYC before bschool. Baruch College was one of the biggest school that sent students into all Big 4 firms plus other mid size firms.

In terms of MBA vs MS for Accounting, if you really lack any business core classes on your transcript, you should really consider MBA for accounting. CPA will require you business base courses and if you choose MS route without undergrad business degree, you might have to take them in addition to MS requirement.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Non-accounting major! Please help!! really... [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 15:30
Thank you so much for your help!

I thought MS programs were designed to fulfill any class to sit you for the CPA? Also, Baruch's MBA requires experience, so I guess I can't do that anyways.

I am really looking into UNC's Master's of Accounting program because it is specifically geared towards those who do not have an accounting background at all. How selective is the program?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Non-accounting major! Please help!! really... [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 16:43
kpmth00 wrote:
Thank you so much for your help!

I thought MS programs were designed to fulfill any class to sit you for the CPA? Also, Baruch's MBA requires experience, so I guess I can't do that anyways.

I am really looking into UNC's Master's of Accounting program because it is specifically geared towards those who do not have an accounting background at all. How selective is the program?

Can't really tell you how selective the program is, but it's certainly a top notch program. Ran into a bunch of the school's students during recruiting season this year in NC. From my understanding (of my own school's Macc admissions), it's not that selective. Average gmat score is like 600 grades vary all over the place. I think this type of program that caters towards those without bus undergrad degrees are really what you're looking for. UNC is definitely a great option as much as I'd like NOT to admit it... :wink:
Re: Non-accounting major! Please help!! really...   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2009, 16:43