Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-accounting major with a few questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 14:42
Hello,

I have been doing research on getting an accounting masters after I finish my undergrad. I currently major in history with a minor in economics, and a GPA slightly above 3.0 (should be around 3.4 by the time I finish) and around 1.5-1.75 years left before graduation. I do not have any significant work experience except for working at the family business as a project estimator.

So here a few Q's-

Will being a history major hurt me when it comes to recruiting, especially with a Big 4 firm?

What kind of GMAT score would I need to be competitive for USC, UT-Austin, TAMU, or other peers of these schools?

Will a sub-3.5ish GPA and no WE hurt my admissions chances?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 20:56
Hey jms1987,

Being a history major should not matter because you will be graduating with a masters of accounting degree.

You can check the averages for those schools on their websites. I believe USC is 650 and UTA should be around there, off of the top of my head I'd say 670?

A sub 3.5 avg with no WE shouldn't hurt you at all. Most schools don't expect you to have WE.

To give you an example, my stats are 3.4 with a 710 GMAT as an economics major. I got into USC and UTA, and I have no WE.

Good luck with the rest of your undergrad and let us know if you have any other questions.
Intern
Intern

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:48
One other question I have is on the required amount of classes to take the CPA examination. Since I don't major in business, should I try and take a few classes to catch up with, or will the MAcc catch me up sufficiently?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 19:31
jms1987 wrote:
One other question I have is on the required amount of classes to take the CPA examination. Since I don't major in business, should I try and take a few classes to catch up with, or will the MAcc catch me up sufficiently?

typical 1 yr MS Accounting program designed for "non-accounting major undergrad" will have all the classes required for Uniform CPA Exam. Only thing you have to worry about are 3-4 classes that these programs require for admissions. (Such as economics, introductory accounting, statistics etc) Each school has different requirement. Some schools will require non-business undergrads to take little more business classes, while other programs will treat all the students equally. One of the best program for non-business undergrad is UNC's MS Accounting program.

http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/Programs/MAC/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 05:58
Can anyone speak for the quality/placement stats for the following programs?

Florida State

LSU

UC Boulder
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 27

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 12:43
The PAR rankings are the best place to look.

2010-public-accounting-ranking-msa-undergrad-108416.html#p916356

jms1987 wrote:
Can anyone speak for the quality/placement stats for the following programs?

Florida State

LSU

UC Boulder

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 19:22
Thanks...

One thing I can't find is recruitment info I'd like to know if Big4 firms go to these schools, especially FSU and Boulder.
Intern
Intern

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 07:37
Another question: Is it possible to enter management consulting after getting some solid Big4 experience? That is my ultimate goal down the line. Would I be better off looking into something like the Duke MMS for that?
Intern
Intern

Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 15:13
Can anyone tell me about recruiting for things like TAS/advisory is at MSA/MACc programs? Would I be better of looking at a management masters like the Duke MMS?
Re: Non-accounting major with a few questions   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2011, 15:13