Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-business background profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Non-business background profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 08:28
GMAT- 720
Q-45
V-44
AWA-6.0

Undergrad:
Graduated with 3.5 in History from Catholic University of America (trending upward)
Cum Laude
Nominated for Outstanding Senior Thesis Award in History Department
Interned for 1 year with Speaker of the House and fomer Congressman/current Sec. of Transportation Ray LaHood

Law School:
Graduated with 2.96 from Creighton Law (3.6 final year, 3.2 final 2 years)
Finalist in Moot Court Competition, named Outstanding Argument 4 rounds of tournament
Member, National Trial Team
Competed in National Trial Team Competition in Rhode Island

Work Experience:
1 year as legislative aid with Congressman Ray LaHood in Capitol Hill Office
2 years (at matriculation) with civil litigation firm specializing in Insurance cases, but also with some business law (drafting contracts, articles of incorporation, stock agreements, etc.)

EC's:
Involved in various church activities in community
Organized fundraiser for orphanage in Beijing that my parents were affiliated with
Legal Counsel for homeowner's association

Other:
Lived in Hong Kong, Bangalore, and Singapore for total of roughly 6 years as a child.
Have made extended visits to Tokyo and Beijing

Post-MBA:
Consulting/International Business

Target Schools:
Booth, Kellogg, McCombs, McDonough, Mendoza

I have already applied to all schools and am awaiting responses. I applied to Booth and Kellogg 2nd round and will hear in March. Just wondering if someone could handicap my chances. Thanks!
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Non-business background profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:53
Numbers wise, you have a shot at all the schools, Gtown/ND should ideally be safeties. The problem here is the JD. Historically B-schools are reluctant to admitting the stereotypical jaded/cynical lawyer. For you the WHY MBA? question is very important. Its easy to see the disconnect between getting a JD and wanting MC after your MBA. That said your work experience is great, especially that first year. If you nail the questions that arise with this drastic of a career change you will assuage the adcoms fears.
Its too hard to call your chances but I'd say booth/kellogg, will be stretches all others competitive but by no means a lock. I'm not sure how mid/lower level school like gtown/nd view JDs.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Non-business background profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:06
Thanks for the reply. In my applications to this point, I have tried to make clear that I am not a jaded/cynical lawyer. In explaining why I want an MBA, I have stated (truthfully) that I have considered an MBA since my first year of law school based on several factors. First, I think that the JD/MBA is just about one of the best and most versatile combination of degrees that there is. Second, my father's job took me all over the globe and exposed me to the workings of international business, and I was able to see that impact in various developing countries (India, China). Finally, I have tried to highlight the skills that I was taught as an attorney and how those will translate well to a consulting career. I have to say that, in talking to several consultants at top flight firms, they seemed to think that the analytical skills taught in law school would be a positive in transitioning in to the consulting field. Can I ask why you said there is an obvious disconnect? Thanks again!
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Non-business background profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:15
Sure,
I didn't mean a disconnect in skills, the JD will only help you in consulting thats for sure. The disconnect I speak of is what the adcoms will be concerned with. Certain questions come up when you have a law degree (jaded...etc) if you address those than great, but that doesn't mitigate completely. Some may say you're taking a circuitous route to consulting. All the major firms hire JDs as associates as well. Hence the why MBA? question is that much more important for you.
Other may call you a degree gatherer. Others may question your passion.....not me, these are just thing to be aware of. Again you will be competitive at most schools Booth and Kellogg are hard for everyone.

Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Non-business background profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 13:15
I think in at Michigan and Georgetown. If you see a lot of future value in your law experience and convey(ed) that in your essays, then I like the diversity. Lot of people coming from business, tech and liberal arts backgrounds, I would have to think lawyers are in the super minority. Like that you have world experience and worked on the hill.

I think you're out at Booth, and you're out at Dartmouth unless you make sweet love to Tuck by making two visits and pulling out all the stops.

Wouldn't surprise me if you got into Kellogg, but wouldn't surprise me if you were dinged too. Judging from the roll call thread, it seems that accepted, waitlisted, and dinged applicant pools have almost the exact same GPA/GMATs, so they must be looking at your essays and work experience.

Good luck, hope you get into your top choice!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Re: Non-business background profile evaluation please   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2011, 13:15